Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious. Does anyone make what would essentially be a rifle or shotgun sheath that one would wear across one's back? Yes I know it is called a sling, but I'm just curious here.

At the very least you think someone would make a backpack that one could stow a carbine in. Or maybe a covert carry case could accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Might be able to make this work for a shotgun or rifle, but:

1. What's wrong with a sling?
2. Some folks might mutter something about mall ninjas as you walk by...

OTOH I subscribe to the Army philosophy of "If it's stupid, but it works, it's not stupid"... so knock yourself out.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Biathalon skiiers wear a two-strap sling similar to a backback strap setup. It keps the rifle centered on their back while they ski, keeps the gun from throwing off their balance.

Now there's some seriously capable folks.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Got a bud that has that pack in green and he carries a Benelli M1 Super 90,w/ the 14" entry bbl. He has used it "overseas" several times. Uses it for them short day walks. He sez that it is very sturdy and rides on his back very well.--------

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I am sorta imagining something like a scabbard - along lines of what you might fit to a bike or more probably, the leather scabbard deal for use on horseback. Not too sure tho how awkward a draw would be with it on accross the back.

I am conjuring up mental pics based on Croc Dundee - ''Now, this is a knife'' LOL

But here maybe - ''Now this (when I get it out)- is a RIFLE'' :biggrin:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Maxpedition makes a covert rifle case that doesn't look like a rifle case. You can put the case over your shoulder and walk down the street with it, and probably no one would be the wiser.

·
Administrator
143,580 Posts
Euclidean

This sounds like a "leather working project" that some talented leathercrafter would love to try and make for you. Nice tooling leather exterior & a cushy suede lining.
It would use quite a large section of leather hide so....maybe not real cheap to have to have made.
Neat Idea. :smile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BTW I like that scabbard.

Doggoneit I remember that somebody made one that held the weapon "butt down" also....it was really nice too & weatherproof.
I spotted it on the web a couple of years ago. -
I wish I could remember where on the web I saw it. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
23,570 Posts
Long Gun Scabbards

QKShooter said:
This sounds like a "leather working project" that some talented leathercrafter would love to try and make for you. Nice tooling leather exterior & a cushy suede lining.
It would use quite a large section of leather hide so....maybe not real cheap to have to have made.
Neat Idea. :smile:

Doggoneit I remember that somebody made one that held the weapon "butt down" also....it was really nice too & weatherproof.
I spotted it on the web a couple of years ago. -
I wish I could remember where on the web I saw it. :confused:

QK or Others:
Did you see anything since this post like Euc was trying to find?

I'm hunting for a rifle or shotgun scabbard type set up that will keep the long gun quickly accesible, yet protect it from lifes hardships while in trucks, cars, etc. Some kind of full length or almost full length case arrangement with some padding, that is open at the end, or can be left open at the end?

I might just go with a soft zippered case and add straps, but a scabbard sounds nice, and could have the leather or velcro ties to hold it in a static position.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
In that case Euc, I'd go with a leather saddle scabbard ....

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thats a HOTT idea...!

·
Super Moderator
16,809 Posts
I don't remember the name of the movie, but one of the actors carried a sawed off double barrel in a rig like that. Or it may have been in a pouch sewn into the inside of his duster.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Mel Gibson in the original Mad Max had a thigh rig for his sawed off.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts