Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted a holster for a S&W 4506-1 I'd recently acquired. Safariland's Holster Finder claims this version of their Model 568 Custom Fit Concealment Holster fit it, so I ordered one. which arrived today. I'm wondering if I'm being paranoid or if anyone else would be as concerned as I am about the amount of protection it offers the trigger. Gun is inserted as far as possible into the holster. The plastic block in front of the trigger guard does not move, so no way to adjust it for the gun to go deeper.

4506-1A.JPG 4506-1B.JPG

·
Registered
38,992 Posts
IMO, yes.

·
Registered
G19.4 - P365 - TX-22 - G42 (for now)
472 Posts
Me 2

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
A DA trigger does not need protecting like a striker fired gun does.
However, I don’t think that is going to make a good concealment holster unless it’s worn under a fairly thick coat.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Paddle holsters make terrible concealment holsters in general but, that one just looks poorly designed.

BTW I hope you don't carry that gun with the safety/decocker on like your pictures. That slide mounted safety/ decocker was designed for admin handling and holstering, not carrying. That is the reason so many think its "backwards" to the safeties they are used to. Carry safeties go up on safe and down on fire so they can be operated with a firing grip with the thumb.

At least that is the way we were taught at the academy and the 4506 was our issued sidearm.

As has been said some guns need better trigger coverage than others.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
Wanted a holster for a S&W 4506-1 I'd recently acquired. Safariland's Holster Finder claims this version of their Model 568 Custom Fit Concealment Holster fit it, so I ordered one. which arrived today. I'm wondering if I'm being paranoid or if anyone else would be as concerned as I am about the amount of protection it offers the trigger. Gun is inserted as far as possible into the holster. The plastic block in front of the trigger guard does not move, so no way to adjust it for the gun to go deeper.

View attachment 345663 View attachment 345664
It should be safe enough for that style of pistol.
I am not a big fan of paddle holsters but if it works for you that is the important thing.

·
Premium Member
35,158 Posts
In answer to the OP's question, yes, that trigger cover is adequate for a SA/DA semi with a de-cocker.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Does it adequately protect the trigger? From your finger, probably. From clothing or other things which could get caught by the poor fit, no. The trigger guard should be completely covered. That’s a poor fitting holster in my opinion.

·
Registered
38,992 Posts
It's lefthanded, therefore useless. o_O

·
Registered
22 Posts
Will it work ? Probably... Would I carry it like that? NO.... Looks like the gun could fall out at any moment...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, you've put my mind at ease.

A DA trigger does not need protecting like a striker fired gun does.
However, I don’t think that is going to make a good concealment holster unless it’s worn under a fairly thick coat.
You're probably right. Probably won't work well with shorts and a t-shirt, but it's mostly for winter use.

Paddle holsters make terrible concealment holsters in general but, that one just looks poorly designed.

BTW I hope you don't carry that gun with the safety/decocker on like your pictures. That slide mounted safety/ decocker was designed for admin handling and holstering, not carrying. That is the reason so many think its "backwards" to the safeties they are used to. Carry safeties go up on safe and down on fire so they can be operated with a firing grip with the thumb.

At least that is the way we were taught at the academy and the 4506 was our issued sidearm.

As has been said some guns need better trigger coverage than others.
Nope, I just never took the safety back off after putting it, taking the magazine out, and clearing the chamber before fiddling around with fitting the gun to the holster. When it's loaded for carry, the safety is off.

It's lefthanded, therefore useless. o_O
Several women have called me useless, but my preferred pronoun is still "he". :p

Will it work ? Probably... Would I carry it like that? NO.... Looks like the gun could fall out at any moment...
Looks can be deceiving. Tension is adjustable, and they suggest adjusting it so the gun won't fall out if you hold the holster and shake it with the gun upside down.

·
Registered
38,992 Posts
Looks can be deceiving. Tension is adjustable, and they suggest adjusting it so the gun won't fall out if you hold the holster and shake it with the gun upside down.
It's not holding the holster upside down and shaking it you need to worry about. It's someone holding you upside down and shaking you that will be the problem.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Its not the trigger thats the problem, its that 1) the gun doesnt look secure, 2) that holster would be absolutely atrocious for concealment, and 3) theres no retention for open carry. Just looks like an all around bad holster with no real use or thought behind it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Safariland ALS holsters are some of the best holsters out there, but I would use an "IWB" holster personally.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Yes, but that doesn’t make it a good holster.
Spend the money on good carry gear.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Cool gun. The holster makes me nervous though. It will work, but your margin for error is smaller. On a striker fired pistol, I'd say definitely not. I'd still probably return it and look at Don Hume, Milt Sparks, etc if you're sold on leather. You might have luck finding a lightly used holster for it on eBay.

I do like paddle holsters for the quick trip to the store this time of year. I'm not sure if Safariland makes the "plastic" ALS with the thumb release for the 4506, but I like the extra retention it offers over a level 1 (friction only) holster. I wear mine a fair amount, and it's just as quick as a level 1. There's other companies with similar designs, I just went with the Safariland because it was a bit of an impulse buy at Cabela's when I was looking for a OWB holster for my M&P shield to carry while hiking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts