Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking today about how in the winter, people wear thicker and heavier clothing. As I thought about that I decided to replace the ammo in my CCW from Hornady Critical Defense to a deeper penetrating round, the Winchester PDX1.

Hornady designed the Critical Defense for everyday carry by the CCW citizen who does not need to penetrate auto glass and walls, but clothing and have superior expansion. But in the winter it seems necessary to have the extra oomf of a deeper penetrating round for the thick winter coats the BGs wear.

Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Florida winter pretty much just adds a sweatshirt... so luckily I don't have the problem of having to penetrate extra layers of clothing.

Interesting idea though.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I don't change mine, Speer GoldDot Hollow Point in .45acp 200+P year round.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm about as far north as you can get and stay in the U.S. In the winter here I use Cor-Bon DPX+P 45acp. These rounds are just plain nasty, and expensive.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like the DPXs, but just can't find them. When I did get some in the past they were expensive.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I carry the same ammo year round. Federal .38 spcl Nyclads in my chiefs special, Corbon DPX in my .357 magnum, and Corbon DPX in my P239 .40.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hadn't thought about it

I hadn't thought about that. I am going to make sure I consider that as well. And as I'm sure you know, be sure you are familiar with how the different ammo shoots in your CCW.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I don't vary. I'm comfortable with, and have trained with, my ammo of choice.

And just so I'm understanding this correctly, the fear is that if you use hollow point rounds they will fill with clothing material and fail to expand, yes? And no expansion = smaller wound channel = lessened stopping performance?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm with Randy up here in MN. I know many guys up here who have winter ammo and summer ammo for the exact reasons noted by the OP. I'm sure there's some performance degrade with extra layers, but not enough to make a decent SD round ineffective. I don't switch. I figure if I'm already carrying ammo that does well in barrier tests, like windshields, the extra clothing isn't going to matter. At least not to the degree that would cause me to change ammo. My .45 ACP will maybe expand to .59 instead of .80. Still enough to get the job done. That, and I regularly practice failure to neutralize drills. If the double tap CoM to the chest doesn't do the trick, the next one is a shot to the head. No extra clothing there!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Florida winter pretty much just adds a sweatshirt... so luckily I don't have the problem of having to penetrate extra layers of clothing.

Interesting idea though.
Pretty much the same thing here in SE Texas...

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I don't change my ammo depending upon the weather. I select an ammo that will meet the conditions I am likely to find myself in and run with that year 'round.

I'd much rather spend my time practicing than selecting/testing ammo. If I change my ammo, that means I have to "dial in" the sights for that new load. No thanks, I know where my bullets are going with the ammo I have chosen. That's all I need.

Biker

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'll be sticking with my Winchester Ranger bonded 180 gr.

·
Registered
669 Posts
It doesnt matter which season it is. the main problem with hollowpoints is that they dont expand the way they are suppose to when penetrating through clothing. I got the same ammo you just mentioned and from what Ive heard,(dont quote me on this) this the standard ammo used by FBI, secret service etc. because its ability to pass clothing, glass, whatever. You should just carry that ammo full time.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Isn't the Critical Defense designed to resist plugging up with clothing and still perform? I see it like this, the CD penetrrates the big jacket material and still expands, makes a bigger hole and incapacitates faster. The JHP plugs with clothing, acts like a ball round and makes an icepick hole.

And even here in FL, I'm cold in this awful weather we're having. I'm at work, it's 54 degrees. Underarmor shirt, uniform tshirt and sweatshirt. (wooly hat too) This is awful. The only people not bundled up in this are the tourists and the recent transplants.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I don't necessarily change ammo, but caliber. I tend to carry my .45 loaded with 230gr. bonded Golden Saber more often than my .40 loaded with 180gr. GS's when it get's colder.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I also do this but I'm paranoid. LOL
Really I tend to carry lighter guns in lesser calibers in Hot weather, not for ballistics but for ease of carry.
FTX should be fine year round. So should PDX, Gold Dot, Golden Saber, Hydrashok......you get the picture. A coat and some long johns ain't gonna stop no bullet.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I carry Critical Defense in everything that it is available in (which now includes 357 and 45ACP) as I am impressed with the research and development of the round. I think that Hornady got this one right and so far have been impressed with the quality. I hope that I never have to see the performance first hand but in case that happens the CD is my choice until/unless something better comes along.

Armydad

1 - 20 of 42 Posts