Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I'm curious about something. Have any of you encountered a situation where your CC weapon false-triggers the inventory-control systems at the entry and exit doors of various retail chains?

This happens to me constantly, especially at Wal-Mart and Kroger. The darn things beep loudly when I walk in and loudly when I walk out and people are always calling after me wanting to me to come back and have my merchandise "deactivated". (even when I have no merchandise!). I thought these "RFID" inventory-control systems only react to RFID tags that haven't been deactivated.

I began to think they were actually metal detectors, but that makes no sense since you can wheel metal shopping carts in and out all day long withhout them sounding an alarm.

This doesn't happen with my Glock, but happens so often with my INOX Beretta that I just *had* to ask if this is happening to anyone else. There's no RFID tag on or in my weapon, nor (to my knowledge) is it radioactive. It has Lasergrips on it but that's all.

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Nope. Never had that happen. It SHOULDN'T happen. Any common denominator in the instances BESIDES your gear? Perhaps a jacket that had a RFID tage left behind unnoticed?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yea, I'd look for wayward RFID tags on your clothes, wallet, shoes, ect. Those things are NOT supposed to respond to anything but the activated tag.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Did you buy your Beretta from a retailer? If so, Do they use a RFID system?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Never had anything like that happen, and I don't think it should.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Check inside the magazine well and behind the grips

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I would also check you wallet, perhaps you have a credit card or one of the new Mega drivers licenses that allow Big Brother to track you where ever you go. Of course if it were the DL or your pistol permit, it would seem you would always trigger no matter which gun you had on you.

·
Registered
130 Posts
False Trigger RFID

Must be those bullets with the serial numbers on them!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you have a good sense of humor, (that was the qualifier) then you have to admit... It's pretty damn funny. That was an old prank back in the day when some of us worked retail. We would stick an activated tag in a friends pocket before we all went out. How the heck do you explain to the manager at your local Walmart what is making the sensor go off?!?! I guess you just wait for the local LEO.

With that said, other then wiping you gun over the deactivation device at a store (imagine video of someone trying to do that while getting cashed out and keeping it concealed) I have to imagine it's another piece of gear your carrying. I have never heard of any retailers using it on the firearms themselves but in a big store I guess it makes sense.

I do remember being told that magnets can deactivate them though and having to watch for that while working in a big chain store during a Christmas season. Not sure if it still works.

I hope you can get it worked out, Then you'll have a good one to tell the other guys over a beer!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Here's a thought: quit shoplifting! :rofl:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. No, I've never had it happen either.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I started a thread in the Elsie Pea forum on this very subject. Come to find out it was a very well hidden tag in my billfold. I went back to the store (Rite Aid) to test it with the cashieer. Bingo!

The odd part is that I never tripped a Wal-Mart or any other alarm with it. Only Rite Aid.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would go to a store where it's happened, and dress as light as possible... old t-shirt, shorts, flip flops.

Go in and out, see if it triggers.

Then add one thing at a time and try and trigger it.

Add wallet, trigger?
Add gun, trigger?
Add holster, trigger?

Do this while being UNLOADED since you won't have your gun in holster for the test... or at least, I wouldn't have it in there.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Greetings all,

I'm curious about something. Have any of you encountered a situation where your CC weapon false-triggers the inventory-control systems at the entry and exit doors of various retail chains?

This happens to me constantly, especially at Wal-Mart and Kroger. The darn things beep loudly when I walk in and loudly when I walk out and people are always calling after me wanting to me to come back and have my merchandise "deactivated". (even when I have no merchandise!). I thought these "RFID" inventory-control systems only react to RFID tags that haven't been deactivated.

I began to think they were actually metal detectors, but that makes no sense since you can wheel metal shopping carts in and out all day long withhout them sounding an alarm.

This doesn't happen with my Glock, but happens so often with my INOX Beretta that I just *had* to ask if this is happening to anyone else. There's no RFID tag on or in my weapon, nor (to my knowledge) is it radioactive. It has Lasergrips on it but that's all.

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks all.

What makes you think it's your CCW?

·
Registered
195 Posts
???????????Funny????????????

When i was in high school we went to lowes with the shop teacher.and every time we where there we would pull the RFID's off of stuff and slip them in the hood of his coat .so he would get stoped.it was funny he had no clue . my ? is do you have a prankster with you .or do you have one stuck to the bottom of your shoe that you may have steped on???????????

·
Registered
15 Posts
This happened to me once when I had a new wallet. As others have said, there was a tag hidden under a flap of fabric.

It had happened to me several times, and I finally got tired of it and decided to figure out what was doing it. I started taking things out of my pockets, handing it to my son to hold, and walking through the sensors again. After about 6 trips through the sensors (and setting off the alarm), a store clerk came over to see what was going on. I explained the situation, and they played along.

Again, as others have said, you have a tag somewhere -- holster maybe? Those sensors are digital -- nothing's going to set them off that can't communicate digitally.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I purchased a pair of jeans from Ross; they didn't have a RFID system that detected a problem in them when I purchased them, but Walmart did when I wore them the first time in the door.

The RFID tag was INSIDE the waist band!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I purchased a pair of jeans from Ross; they didn't have a RFID system that detected a problem in them when I purchased them, but Walmart did when I wore them the first time in the door.

The RFID tag was INSIDE the waist band!
Haha nice.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts