Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Concerning a Don Hume pocket holster in leather. It fails to retain in pocket when pistol is drawn. Rubber bands around its base were tried, nothing seems to work. Any suggestions? :confused:

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mod, you can deep six this thread for lack of participation please...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Having a spot to push off with a finger helps, I've also found that pressing lightly against my leg as I draw helps to keep a pocket holster in place.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The leather really isn't that tight around the pistol. But I'll treat it and re test. Very dry leather..thinking I should have gone with a suede vice smooth also..

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
The leather really isn't that tight around the pistol. But I'll treat it and re test. Very dry leather..thinking I should have gone with a suede vice smooth also..
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, makes sense. I'm stripping this thing like a pair of boot camp combat boots. But instead of making the leather smooth, just the opposite. I used coarse sand paper just on the outside, rinsed with boiling water. It s working but gotta do more of this later. When I get the desired texture I'll re dye it and give it a coat of mink oil. Gotta leave for work. I'll post results later.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Registered
20,049 Posts
When you draw your gun, you must make sure the built in hooks at the bottom of the holster dig in to the pocket fabric.
Not all pockets are the same size or shape.

Ive had to learn to do the same thing with mine...once you figure it out, it's no problem.
IMG_1958.jpg

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you draw your gun, you must make sure the built in hooks at the bottom of the holster dig in to the pocket fabric.
Not all pockets are the same size or shape.

Ive had to learn to do the same thing with mine...once you figure it out, it's no problem.
View attachment 174234
Boy do I feel stupid. OK so pull it rearward, then up....lol My bad, thank you Sir!

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Boy do I feel stupid. OK so pull it rearward, then up....lol My bad, thank you Sir!
Yep... that little hooky there , is there for a reason. You can also push forward and that top will usually catch under and in the pocket as well. I learned push forward and pull back as I draw it.... very easy , never had an issue.

For my .02 cents, stay with the stronger leather, and it protects the gun, trigger, etc. much more then softer suede leather (which has other issues as well).

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Put your handgun in a plastic bag (or 2) and insert into the holster. Let it sit that way for a few hours. This will stretch the holster a bit and allow for easier removal.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK reconditioned the leather and using the aft hook correctly makes this gun draw reliably now. It does not conceal well imo, so I'll be trying something else...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts