Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 126 Posts

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
The longest shot I have ever made with a handgun was 200 meters (656 feet) at a hanging steel ram on a metallic target range. I did this from a rest using handloads in my, then, Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum with OEM sights. I hit it on the second shot and figured that was good enough for me. No need to poison that one with more attempts.
Mine were shot standing unsupported.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Longest shot I've made was with a 1911 on a steel pig at 200 yrds. On a bet no less, I told him "within 5 shots". Hit it on the 3rd shot. First one low, second less so, 3rd made the hit. If it had been a person of average height, he'd have been nailed with all 3 shots.

For me personally, it has more to do with the gun than distance. 1911 gov model has roughly a 7" rear to front sight length, a 357 4" barrel has roughly 6.5" between rear and front sight, either gun "will do".

I've posted before about knocking gallon milk jugs around at 100 with a 1911 as a form of determining degradation in the basics. IF you have command of the basics, many pistols are capable of hurling lead to 100 yrds with enough accuracy to stay within 16" wide x 21" vertical [ a mans chest ]. Those who don't have command of the basics need not apply. From observing various public ranges over a 40+ year stretch, few exhibit a command of the basics. :scratchchin:
Factor in the target at a range isn't moving and people aren't running for their lives in front and behind a target and running into you as they stampede
for safety....But i guess those people with those capabilities seem to be more common than i realized....Maybe someone can post how they pulled that off
for real...Where was it?....How many shots hit the intended target....How many shots did they fire...Did the perp realize from 100 yds away they were being
shot at as well?....Did the perp die?....No postings about someone else finding that rare nut..Just personal experiences....No law enforcement situations..

Just a regular guy who carries daily and exercised those skills to dispatch a threat at 100 yds.:wink:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Factor in the target at a range isn't moving and people aren't running for their lives in front and behind a target and running into you as they stampede
for safety....But i guess those people with those capabilities seem to be more common than i realized....Maybe someone can post how they pulled that off
for real...Where was it?....How many shots hit the intended target....How many shots did they fire...Did the perp realize from 100 yds away they were being
shot at as well?....Did the perp die?....No postings about someone else finding that rare nut..Just personal experiences....No law enforcement situations..

Just a regular guy who carries daily and exercised those skills to dispatch a threat at 100 yds.:wink:
The only factor I'm interested in is how much command I have left of the basics of handhold, trigger control and sight alignment. If an opportunity presents, I KNOW what I'm capable of given the chance to make shots at that distance on an antagonist with a rifle./ There'll be times it's smarter to seek cover, other times there may be no cover to move to and you're caught out in the open.

A rifle shooter will not expect a pistol carrier to be responding at that range, surprise surprise butt head, if you don't move, yo're going to not just take incoming, you're going to be hit.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
The question as I see it is....

What size group is needed for the situation you are in and face?

The way I see it is, that at no time should technique dictate the situation but rather the situation should dictate the technique require to handle that which you face.
Well, any group that can stay on target relative to target size and distance works for me to establish a point blank range for any given technique. The paper plate is a reasonable place to start. Practicing head shots will of course require a smaller target.

Longer shots generally require more time while closer shots generally require less time.

I like to brag that I can hit the broad side of a barn if it's within range. It takes practice to understand what that range is relative to any given technique/gun combination.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
The question as I see it is....

What size group is needed for the situation you are in and face?

The way I see it is, that at no time should technique dictate the situation but rather the situation should dictate the technique require to handle that which you face.
Mailman for the win!

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Actually ignorance is using a tool not designed for the job....If one wants to be a hero and lob bullets at 100 yds with a handgun to stop a threat
then they should be prepared to explain it to a jury...Or better yet tell the jury your intentions was to stop the threat and not hit a bystander in the process
of being a hero....Assuming we are still talking self defense.
Not an issue: Your Honor I got out of my vehicle in the Walmart parking lot, MR X was in the act of shooting innocent people at the entrance, I had a shot and took it to stop Mr X from killing more innocent people.

The group I train with does this exact scenario quite often, the target is 1/4 scale torso, so only the upper thoracic cavity and face, (vitals) show, anything else is a fail/miss.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts

If you can’t , don’t. Pretty simple.

It is clear that you may not have had the exposure to training issues associated with the “ what if’s” that you voice concerns about, so, just be a good witness.

None, absolutely zero, of the concerns and what ifs you have listed have not been considered by those of us who have allowed for such an occurrence to happen in our presence, or on our watch.

However, the evidence of these things happening are not precluded because you believe otherwise.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
There are "several" documented cases where someone shot someone else at 100 yards with a pistol?
A civilian saved a deputy who was pinned down taking fire in a trailer park, a resident witnessed the perp shooting at the LEO with a rifle, he went inside his trailer and got his 6" .357, laid across the hood of his vehicle and hit the bad guy with a torso shot at a significant distance.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
The only factor I'm interested in is how much command I have left of the basics of handhold, trigger control and sight alignment. If an opportunity presents, I KNOW what I'm capable of given the chance to make shots at that distance on an antagonist with a rifle./ There'll be times it's smarter to seek cover, other times there may be no cover to move to and you're caught out in the open.

A rifle shooter will not expect a pistol carrier to be responding at that range, surprise surprise butt head, if you don't move, yo're going to not just take incoming, you're going to be hit.
Well hopefully someone will chime in and tell us all about their feat...And i am sure we can find the story to back it up in the age of technology.
We are all about real world aren't we?....My guess is...99.9 percent of us...When the shooter starts spraying bullets is gonna run for cover with the rest of the crowd.
given you are 100 yds away with a handgun.....Not sure how many of us are gonna rely on practicing at a range of non moving targets with confidence and risk
hitting a unintended target or making yourself a target as well...I don't think it is wise for anyone to think just because they can hit a target on a range in a controlled environment...
That they can risk it in a large crowd of people or anywhere else.

That is my take anyway...Whoever wants the last word...The stage is all yours.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
If you can’t , don’t. Pretty simple.

It is clear that you may not have had the exposure to training issues associated with the “ what if’s” that you voice concerns about, so, just be a good witness.

None, absolutely zero, of the concerns and what ifs you have listed have not been considered by those of us who have allowed for such an occurrence to happen in our presence, or on our watch.

However, the evidence of these things happening are not precluded because you believe otherwise.
Tell us your story ....Lets hear how you pulled it off in real world...I mean you can hit a target at 100 yds with a handgun...( Most guys with experience can)
Tell us how you know for sure that because you do it on a range you will do it in a real life scenario.
I believe i never said it cant be done...I said it is not a good idea....I can win the lottery also...or be struck by lightening....

BTW...Now i am done...I just had to respond to this laughable reply:smile:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Well hopefully someone will chime in and tell us all about their feat...And i am sure we can find the story to back it up in the age of technology.
We are all about real world aren't we?....My guess is...99.9 percent of us...When the shooter starts spraying bullets is gonna run for cover with the rest of the crowd.
given you are 100 yds away with a handgun.....Not sure how many of us are gonna rely on practicing at a range of non moving targets with confidence and risk
hitting a unintended target or making yourself a target as well...I don't think it is wise for anyone to think just because they can hit a target on a range in a controlled environment...

Well, we know of one case where a guy shot a rifleman targeting an leo from 70+ yrds and made hit/s in an actively evolving scenario. So it has been done "at distance" as is being discussed. If it's happened once [ or more ] it's an indication others can fare as well given their skills/prowess with a pistol and the correct circumstances.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts

Well, we still have to consider the four rules relative to any given environment.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Tell us your story ....Lets hear how you pulled it off in real world...I mean you can hit a target at 100 yds with a handgun...( Most guys with experience can)
Tell us how you know for sure that because you do it on a range you will do it in a real life scenario.
I believe i never said it cant be done...I said it is not a good idea....I can win the lottery also...or be struck by lightening....

BTW...Now i am done...I just had to respond to this laughable reply:smile:
Because I have been under fire and know how I will react.

However, I doubt that you would be able to understand “ real world” from your reply’s which seem to be condescending and argumentative instead of any desire to understand or learn.

Reactions: OD* and AzQkr

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Honestly, I think watching Wild Boar Fever on the Outdoor Channel should give anyone pause to understand what well healed and disciplined marksman are capable of.

I notice no evidence of gut shots, though, except for the French guy with the chocolate Lab in stand with him.

On the other hand, the show is about actual proven marksman.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts

However, I doubt that you would be able to understand “ real world” from your reply’s which seem to be condescending and argumentative instead of any desire to understand or learn.
WOW...Now you know me....You are multi talented....I know you better than you will ever know me.......Listening to someone
brag and toot their horn is a great way to figure someone out....Yep...You will never know me.:smile:

You watch John Wick a lot don't you:smile:

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Argument aside since I've got nothing to say except I have been under fire and know how I will react --
I can't hit anything 100 yds away with my subcompact pistols, and don't try. Maybe I should. I did go to the range again today moving, drawing, quick firing, then draw/firing one round very close (10 feet) and three more as I walked backward, yada yada. Stuff from 3-15 yards that I could think of. I don't think I'll ever be a great shooter. I can, however, ruin a few smallish paper plates pretty good.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I generally refrain from telling war stories, but some might find this amusing.

So there I was... deployed to Iraq, spending a couple weeks at Camp Liberty between mission sets. I'd just been picked to command a squadron when I redeployed, but AF policy at the time dictated I have a current PT test to accept the assignment. My annual expired 8 months into the deployment; normally I'd just retest on return, but to PCS I had to test or the command would go to the backup pick.

F that.

I found a qualified SNCO who could test me and enter it in the system in time.

After completing nearly all the test, all I had left was a timed 1.5 mile run at 100F. Since this lake (33.284910,44.274966) had a measured run course around it, that's where I tested and ran. As I rounded the last turn and had about 100 yards to go some insurgent with an AK climbed a ladder outside the wall and started spraying the area. God bless MSgt D, he shouted "you're almost done! RUUUUNNNNN! I completed my test and we dove into a duck and cover. Then MSgt D handed me an AK bullet... it had skidded to a stop and hit his boots. "Dang, you're faster than a speeding bullet."

Good times.

61 - 80 of 126 Posts