Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is to all you Military Retirees out there.

You probably know that Movie Houses, Hardware Stores and lots of other places offer discounts to Veterans. If it isn't posted, don't forget to ask at anyplace you are making a purchase.

I needed to buy a screen for a sliding glass door in my new home. (Cheap builders did not include same with purchase.)

I called the door maker in PA., and was told it would be $129.00. That seemed like a bit much so I asked if there was any retired military discounts that may apply. The lady said to hold on a moment while she checked. 30 seconds later she asked me, "Does $99.00 sound better?".

Danged straight it did. It was delivered the next week.

$30.00 saved just by asking!!!!

·
Registered
8,100 Posts
I appreciate the generosity of these companies offering the discount, but can honestly care less about getting any sort of special treatment. Other than the companies that offer pro deals and stuff like that, I don't think I have ever gone into a store and asked for a military discount, and dont really ever intend to. Its nice to just be a normal person. Thats just me.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I appreciate the generosity of these companies offering the discount, but can honestly care less about getting any sort of special treatment. Other than the companies that offer pro deals and stuff like that, I don't think I have ever gone into a store and asked for a military discount, and dont really ever intend to. Its nice to just be a normal person. Thats just me.
I have found that many of our vets share your feelings on this. Frankly, I believe you deserve the benefits offered but I understand your reluctance to ask for it. You ARE a normal person, but at the same time an EXCEPTIONAL one because of your service to our country.

Thank you Havok!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
About the only time I take advantage of that is my local gun shop. They allow all honorably discharged vets, EMS, police, fire, and first responders to get a discount on range entry and membership. Combined with my early membership sign-up, it cut nearly $150 per year off my membership (down to $200). Other than that, I'm with Havok. I generally don't ask unless there's a pretty big price point (like in the OP).

·
Registered
8,100 Posts
I have found that many of our vets share your feelings on this. Frankly, I believe you deserve the benefits offered but I understand your reluctance to ask for it. You ARE a normal person, but at the same time an EXCEPTIONAL one because of your service to our country.

Thank you Havok!
I guess my biggest thing is that it was my choice to join, so I feel awkward asking for special favors. I dont feel like they should have to do anything special for me. Plenty of other people do great things for the people of this country as well. At the same time, if I were a company owner, I would be more than willing to give out discounts to mil/le/ff/ems...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Fin feather and fur here in northern ohio gives a 2 percent veteran discount on anything that isnt on sale. I usually forget to ask for it.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
631 Posts
At work we offer a military discount, one guy showed me his ID, and I said, "Thanks for your service". He took offense to it and said it was just a job. So now I just say "Thank you" when the ID is being shown.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
At work we offer a military discount, one guy showed me his ID, and I said, "Thanks for your service". He took offense to it and said it was just a job. So now I just say "Thank you" when the ID is being shown.
Some folks may have that feeling but I'd still thank them for their service. It's the thought that counts, even if a few grumble about it......IMHO anyway......

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Gramps gets military discount at his fitness center. They announce it. When we remember he shows his card at Lowe's. And we get a military discount on our indoor range membership. All pretty nice and much appreciated. Other places we don't ask.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I used to travel by air a lot for work, and Alaska Air (and others) give priority boarding to the military. On one trip, there were two "young" recruits in uniform waiting to board and when the gate attendant announced that military folks could board, they just stood there not wanting to go first. A bunch of us "old folks" walked over to them and told them to go ahead ....they were a little embarrassed, but we thanked them for their service and told them that they deserved the early boarding. They were very polite and a little sheepish about it all, but everyone in line smiled and nodded to them. It was really heartwarming.

I really think that's how we should treat our military folks. They may be modest, say it's just a job, or whatever, but I for one want to thank them and do what I can to show appreciation. It's doesn't take any effort, and it just feels right.....

Reactions: scgunlover1

·
Super Moderator
16,798 Posts
Being an old fart and retired military I do not have a problem with asking for a discount, my problem is when they give me a senior discount without asking, do I really look that old?

·
Registered
165 Posts
The original reason military discounts started was so local businesses could compete with the BX / NEX.
On base their is no sales tax on most items, gas is taxed. Most of the discounts given cover the sales tax that you wouldn't pay if you shopped on base.
All this being said, I still ask if most business offer a discount, but that's just me.
Best wishes PAVELOW

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Those who have earned...should certainly take advantage of it...it would not be offered unless people thought it was deserved.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts