1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
450 Posts
Irresponsible screwing around. Reminds me of the young Marines at my first duty station in Hawaii...back when they had 1911s. Over 3 years, I can remember at least 4-5 occasions of a negligent discharge. Bored young Marines 'testing their triggers' and on at least one occasion, having 'John Wayne' quick draw contests.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
"Authorities say Brown didn't initially confess and threw the bullet into the schoolyard. He later admitted he fired the weapon."

Wow, that bullet made a beeline into a classroom, wounded a teacher, then did a 180 right back to its owner. Must be the amazing "Boomerang" bullet I've been hearing so much about.

·
Premium Member
36,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Authorities say Brown didn't initially confess and threw the bullet into the schoolyard. He later admitted he fired the weapon."

Wow, that bullet made a beeline into a classroom, wounded a teacher, then did a 180 right back to its owner. Must be the amazing "Boomerang" bullet I've been hearing so much about.
That's the main takeaway from the incident?

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Man, he Browned the hell out of that whole deal.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
That's the main takeaway from the incident?
It caught my attention too. If journalists are too incompetent to use words that accurately reflect what happened (isn't that part of their job?) then the rest of their story loses credibility with me too. Boomerang bullet... cool.

This seems just the latest example of how NDs happen when guns are unholstered and people are handling them in an unsafe manner. "Leave it in the holster" should almost be another cardinal rule of gun safety.

·
Premium Member
36,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It caught my attention too. If journalists are too incompetent to use words that accurately reflect what happened (isn't that part of their job?) then the rest of their story loses credibility with me too. Boomerang bullet... cool.

This seems just the latest example of how NDs happen when guns are unholstered and people are handling them in an unsafe manner. "Leave it in the holster" should almost be another cardinal rule of gun safety.
It caught my attention, as well, but being a gun guy, I knew what the author intended. I often refer to mags as clips simply to irritate the grammar nazis.
If the only point one can make in a discussion is one of grammatical criticism, they probably don't have much significant material to add.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Registered
27 Posts
NDs are often a byproduct of ineffective training; lies are a byproduct of lack of character. One can be fixed, the other not so much.
I had a guy put a round down range after we were instructed to practice dry-firing for a precision rifle class. Instructor came unglued, he stayed in the class but didn't shoot a single more round.

·
Registered
681 Posts
When it was all said and done, one student was overheard asking the teacher that got shot "What can Brown do for you?"

·
Registered
134 Posts
A little further research reveals that he was indeed given the bullet; the projectile, that had struck the teacher, by school administrators as he hadn't yet admitted to shooting it off and they felt it should be secured as evidence. He then went to his personal car to hide the firearm and threw the bullet into a grassy area.

I'm sure he also picked up the brass, but when the reporter said bullet, they did mean bullet.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
A little further research reveals that he was indeed given the bullet; the projectile, that had struck the teacher, by school administrators as he hadn't yet admitted to shooting it off and they felt it should be secured as evidence. He then went to his personal car to hide the firearm and threw the bullet into a grassy area.

I'm sure he also picked up the brass, but when the reporter said bullet, they did mean bullet.
Wow. Thanks for the additional info.

·
Super Moderator
24,656 Posts
NDs are often a byproduct of ineffective training; lies are a byproduct of lack of character. One can be fixed, the other not so much.
Proper distinction, Sir! You are quite right.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
It caught my attention, as well, but being a gun guy, I knew what the author intended. I often refer to mags as clips simply to irritate the grammar nazis.
If the only point one can make in a discussion is one of grammatical criticism, they probably don't have much significant material to add.
You must have been looking in a mirror when you wrote this.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
This guy did it. He sent a round through a wall of the school while "testing the trigger pull". It hit a teacher. He threw the expended casing away. He denied doing it. Instead of a couple misdemeanors and a loss of his job, he's also charged with felony tampering:

Michigan deputy charged with firing shot that hit teacher - Education Week
It never ceases to amaze me how careless even a supposedly "well-trained" individual can be when they let down their awareness for even just a moment.

Reactions: graydude

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I've raised 3 sons to adulthood and now am happily retired to an advisory position (lovin' on Grandkids!). Here's a piece of advice worth repeating at LEAST every six weeks. Carve this one on their hearts.

"Never try to cover an unintentional mistake with an intentional, calculated screw-up! It won't help & makes your FIRST mistake...look intentional". :yup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts