Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I find it interesting that the detective also agrees that you should not talk to the police

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I have bookmarked this video from a year or so ago. It is excellent, and an absolutely must watch. I think I'll download it and put it on my media HD for TV viewing when certain members of my family come over. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Just as a point of thought. Ayoob offers a little different advice to go with this video. Ayoob is a LEO and testifies as an expert witness for gun cases. He feels you should tell the police I am the victim that is the bad guy laying there. My spent shell are here and point them oout. point out the bad guys gun and any empty cases so evidence doesn't get overlooked or moved during the investigation. Then tell the officer you plan on cooperating fully within the next 24 hours after calming down and talking to counsel. Just a little different perspective.

My Son is a SWAT team member for a large county sheriff department and he has told me not to say much to the police and that my attorney will thank me for shutting up.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
This is a "G" rated, attorney's version of "Scared Straight."

Reactions: Secret Spuk

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Good video. I knew that it wasn't a good idea to talk to the police, but this really enforces that idea.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Just as a point of thought. Ayoob offers a little different advice to go with this video. Ayoob is a LEO and testifies as an expert witness for gun cases. He feels you should tell the police I am the victim that is the bad guy laying there. My spent shell are here and point them oout. point out the bad guys gun and any empty cases so evidence doesn't get overlooked or moved during the investigation. Then tell the officer you plan on cooperating fully within the next 24 hours after calming down and talking to counsel. Just a little different perspective.

My Son is a SWAT team member for a large county sheriff department and he has told me not to say much to the police and that my attorney will thank me for shutting up.
This is the approach I hope I have to never use.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Watched it last time it was around here, very informative. Glad I saw it, good for other/new members to see.

·
Premium Member
37,024 Posts
I have watched this video in its entirety several times, and rely on it heavily when imparting information on this topic to others. Great stuff, and all relevant.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Ayoob also recommends that you sign the complaint. One thing that worries me about Ayoob's approach is that it requires a lot of self discipline at a time when the adrenaline is sure to be flowing. I've been in a couple of intense situations (before I carried and I never came to any harm or had to harm anyone else, fortunately) and it was really hard to shut up afterwards. I am afraid that once I start talking it will be hard to shut it down. Just my 2 cents, and obviously Ayoob has forgotten more than I will ever know on the subject.

·
Administrator
144,226 Posts
It has been posted here several times before but, since it still seems to be getting comments and we have so many new members who may wish to also comment and offer opinions etc. - it can stay here.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
...it was really hard to shut up afterwards. I am afraid that once I start talking it will be hard to shut it down.
Yeah the video is good, but the real question is WHY do people talk to police. Remember, guys, the cops are expert at baiting you, getting you to talk. You're in adrenaline dump. It's a bad mixture. That's why you make yourself a cheat card and read it. "I need to see a doctor to check me out, I was in fear for my life (or my loved one's life). I'll give a full report after I talk to my attorney", and STICK TO IT. The cops get to run this scenario MANY times a month. You probably have never encountered it (being detained, etc.). You're naturally gonna suck at it. Shut up and get treated and see your lawyer.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Great video, but part of our brainwashing has been that the police are there for our benefit and that justice is found in our courts. This video shouod be part of CCW training classes along with all the videos you have to sit through about the legalities of using force.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Yeah, I've seen it before too. Its a good video and gives you lots of things to think about. Massod Ayoob, however, says that you may want to speak with police. Sometimes there's evidence, for example, that may disappear forever if you keep quiet. If the mugger ditched the knife he used against you, for example, in the garbage can in the alley you were attacked in and you know it, its in your interest to tell the police about it. Once the crime scene opens and the evidence disappears, its gone forever. Its evidence you could've used in your defense.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts