Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Naw, I'm not asking if I should carry two extra mags, too late for that question. :image035:

I kind of like the idea of having 40 rounds ready to go, personally. (13 + 13 + 13 + 1 in the tube, Glock 23 .40 S&W) And as I suspected, the extra weight on the left helps balance the weight of the gun on the right. At least, it feels that way to me.

What I was wondering was, am I alone in liking the Fobus double magazine carrier? I know the Fobus holster is popular with some, and very unpopular with others, but I do like they way the get a pretty darned good grip on the magazine without making you wrestle for them when you need them.

I'd carried the Fobus single mag carrier for a short while and when i bought my third magazine, I switched to their double carrier. I do find either one quite comfortable to wear, easy to put on, and just a little difficult to take off. I mean, doing so without removing the belt.

Anyone else like them, or am I the only one? Now, if you're going to tell me I need to switch to leather, keep in mind I just took your advice about getting a good leather belt and holster! :yup:

Does a leather mag carrier offer any real advantage? Or would it just match the belt and holster (that no one will ever see) so much better?

mm

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just had KDholsters make me one i dont like Fobus.
OK, but is it the brand or the actual mag carrier you don't like? I'm really curious! I've no problem placing another order with K&D, none at all.

I looked at the double mag carrier on Kevin's web site. I saw that it looks like the mags in that carrier were placed in there with one facing one way, the other facing the opposite.

I keep mine both facing the same way, so when I draw a fresh mag, my index finger is along side the front of the magazine, for an easy reload.

I guess those mags were just placed in the carrier for the picture. With the top edge of the carrier coming to something of a "peak" in the center, the mags may have been placed like they were by a photographer, to maintain the visual "balance" of the picture.

Guess I could email Kevin about that, but then I'd have to sell, hide, or otherwise get rid of the double carrier I just bought! (Wife might KILL me.)

Looks like the double mag carrier from Kevin would only cost about $5 more than the plastic one I just bought! :aargh4: Hmmmmmm. . . . If I'd realized that, I'd have ordered one from Kevin. :redface:

mm

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am now a big fan of Comp-Tac. I have a C.T.A.C. slide for my GLOCK 26 and a single mag pouch. They are a little more expensive than Fobus, but I think quality and innovation is higher.

www.comp-tac.com

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
I guess I'm just old fashioned. All of my holsters (a small collection, mind you) are leather, as are my mag carriers. I just like leather - the tactile sensation, the smell, the luster, the durability, and last but not least, leather is very comfortable on me in this dang Texas heat!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I prefer leather and now have a single Galco clip on I bought from '75scout - very nice.

I have tho got and used both Fobus and Uncle Mikes - both work OK but the Fobus only really sees use for IDPA - I do not find it at all comfortable tho. The Uncle Mikes is fine but the flaps are a bit irritating.

As ever, it is how well something feels on the individual but overall I daresay leather has to come out tops.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Tried the Fobus and the UM's and gave up on both. Now I carry a leather one by Mitch Rosen which is the most comfortable mag pouch for concealment that I have ever worn on a belt. I also use his SOS or single mag and flashlight combo.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I don't use Fobus equipment; I mostly use Desantis and/or Galco leather to include a Galco double mag pouch. I only use that pouch though during warrant executions. I always carry at least one spare mag and that goes in a Desantis clip-on pouch. Among my co-case agents and/or peers, I'm one of the few agents that carries a flashlight on a day-to-day basis.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
P95Carry said:
....I prefer leather and now have a single Galco clip on..
Big +1. Except that mine is a Milt Sparks S-4C w/ snap loop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts