Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with this load?

It a pure Copper hollow point that is said to expand well at 32 H&R Magnum velocities.

Any thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
19,884 Posts
Are you considering that as a defensive load?

In a small bore like that I'd be looking for something at the heavier end of the spectrum to ensure decent penetration.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
The only defensive round i use in the 60gr neighborhood is moving around 3,000fps. At handgun velocities, I shoot 120+ grains. I haven't liked anything I've seen in lead free ammo, unless you get into solid core large game ammo (way outside my experience ).

Oh, except depleted Uranium. That has great penetration!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a 32 H&R about 30 years ago, Ruger sp 101. It always shot high with any ammo I tried. The heavier the bullet, the higher it shot. The 60 gr double tap came closest to hitting the spot where the sights are pointing. I replaced the factory front sight (.180" tall) with a .220" tall sight. Now the double tap shoots to where the sights are pointed. This ammo shoots at 1350 feet per second from my sp 101 (3 inch barrel), with 243 ft lbs kinetic energy. I like this for concealed carry because the gun is small, recoil is mild, and the gun shoots to where the sights are pointed. The most powerful 32 H&R ammo I have tried is from Buffalo Bore.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the most important factor in using a gun is marksmanship. All the 32 H&R ammo I tried in my sp-101, they all shoot higher than the sights are pointing. The 60 grain from double tap comes closest to shooting where mu sights are on the target. Some of the ammo I shot was 12" high at 15 yards. I want a gun the shoot where I aim the sights. When push comes to shove, I do not want to remember "this gun shoots low" or "this gun shoots left".

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I'm with you, I want my guns to shoot to point of aim. If my gun was that far off Id be looking for a higher front sight. I recently traded for a pair of H&R R73's in 32 H&R Mag. They shoot a little high at 15 yards with the Bufalo Bore ammo. Its 130 grains and shoots at 1100 feet per second. Off of sandbags it shoots 1" high or so. With the Federal load of 100 grain bullet going 1000 FPS it shoots to point of aim. For 1" I don't think Ill be changing sights. But at 12" off I would certainly be looking at a new front! DR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts