Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some info on a new Double Tap in .40 S&W that may be of interest. They now sell a 200 gr. Hornady XTP bullet in .40 S&W. In my three pistols, the stats are as follows:
USPc 999 fps 443 ft-lbs
USPf 1072 fps 512 ft-lbs
Ruger 1066 fps 506 ft-lbs
I got these values by proportioning from their published data.

Since the information I got from this web site,
www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm
stresses penetration and heavier bullet weight, I am trying out the 200 gr bullet. If you're interested, their web site is www.doubletapammo.com. I've shot some of their other stuff and found it to function well.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Their 10mm is is outstanding....so I have no doubt the rest of their product line is equally good.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I would think that the 200's at the 40's velocity would penetrate very deeply. I have a buddy that shoots them outta a 10mm and they penetrate fairly deep. The slower velocity would inhance penetration. Them XTP's are a slow opening bullet. I have never had one that just explodes. This outta a 44 Mag rifle or .454 Casull rifle. I love them Hornady's!! -----

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
XTP can only be topped by barens and thats not by much ...

I use XTP's in my 500 S&W when i want a Heavy hollowpoint so you know there good

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ditto , I love the XTP bullet. I have on occasion used the 185gn in hand loads on wild hogs. With a good shot placement , it dropped them in their tracks. I think the 200gn would be a better choice but i used what i had on hand

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I agree the XTP is a superb bullet - and in particular when driven hard like from 44 mag and .454 etc.

Only concern I would have is that in lower vel handgun loads, their performance might not be fully exploited. When they open they are great but would anticipate sometimes find the Speer God Dot bullet better because of easier expansion.

That said - if Pakn does well with those 185's then they are obviously still effective!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts