Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever tried their ammo? If so what do you think of it? They have some 40S&W loaded with 200gr Nosler JHP's and I'm thinking about buying a box or two. Before I make a commitment I wanted to see if anyone else has tried their products and their opinion of it.

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts

I've only used it in .357SIG - you won't hear any complaints about their ammo from me!

Reactions: onacoma

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Great stuff, IMO.

Here's a review I did back in 2006 comparing DoubleTap 9mm JHP to Federal Hydrashok Tactical JHP 9mm: click.

BTW, I have used DoubleTap in 9mm, .380ACP and .45ACP. All have been equally well-made, consistent and reliable. Good, powerful stuff. About the most jam-free brand I have ever found, at least in my pistols.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
My 357 Mag & 357 Sig is all Doubletap. Love it! A little pricey, but VERY worth it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Really like the ammo. My first exposure to it was just after the previous ammo shortage and it was one of the first to come back in stock. I've only purchased the 380 and found it to be loaded to the hot side of standard pressure, but not as hot as Buffalo Bore +P stuff. Recently added 2 boxes of 357 Sig and one box of 45 ACP that I will be testing at some point down the road.

706041_463588443730182_912445404_o.jpg

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I have some .357 Sig in 147gr for my winter carry. I would recommend them and several of the LEOs I know carry in their off duty pistol.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I bought some 10mm and 9mm in Double tap and it took a long time to get. When I emailed questions about their product when I was trying to decide which to buy they responded very quickly. I put my order in and even though it showed in stock it had not been produced yet. After waiting several weeks I emailed them several times over the course of 3 days before I ever got a response. Finally they told me the 10mm was done but were waiting on powder for the 9mm so they agreed to split the shipment up and sent me the 10mm and said the 9mm would be ready in 3+ weeks. I waited for another 6 weeks and checked their web page and noticed they had some 9mm in stock that was different than the one I ordered. That seemed to me that the powder was in so I emailed them 3 or 4 times over 2 days finally getting a response saying my ammo was done but did not realize that I still had an open order.

I ordered some 10mm from Underwood ammo and I received it in 2 days. I have shot both the Underwood and Double Tap both in 200 grain and IMO the Underwood feels like a hotter load.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I have nothing but good things to say about their customer service, and even better things to say about their ammo. It is a QUALITY load in any caliber. I have ordered from them in the past, and am actually waiting on a box to come in today. They use premium components and load them to get the upmost performance out of them. I've used their 115 grain 9mm +P load, and it mimics a 357 Magnum 110 grain load in performance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I hear they overrate their velocities on the package. Haven't chrony'd any of it to see.

I bought some of their Equalizer ammo in 454 and it's pretty cool stuff. Shoots both a JHP and solid ball projectile in one shot and they group right next to each other at 15 yards.

·
Registered
118 Posts
They are gaining a solid reputation for offering well made reliable ammunition.

Well made, reliable, & EXPENSIVE. Also a FPS rating overstated by a 100-200fps. Till they get more realistic in price and performance, I'll stick
with Underwood ammo and factory offerings. YMMV. (no ammo is worth the prices they ask imho)

To wit:

DoubleTap Ammunition $48.19
357 Sig 125 Grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 50 $31.75

Honest testing for proof: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjsXvXEryDJjdFhsRUcwSHRUcktCMmhOMTVFa25xa1E#gid=0
Guns and stuff I like and do - YouTube

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Well made, reliable, & EXPENSIVE. Also a FPS rating overstated by a 100-200fps. Till they get more realistic in price and performance, I'll stick
with Underwood ammo and factory offerings. YMMV. (no ammo is worth the prices they ask imho)

To wit:

DoubleTap Ammunition $48.19
357 Sig 125 Grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 50 $31.75

Honest testing for proof: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjsXvXEryDJjdFhsRUcwSHRUcktCMmhOMTVFa25xa1E#gid=0
Guns and stuff I like and do - YouTube
Agreed IMO Underwood is definitely better. I actually think Federal Hydroshock is a little better than Double Tap

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I bought some 10mm and 9mm in Double tap and it took a long time to get. When I emailed questions about their product when I was trying to decide which to buy they responded very quickly. I put my order in and even though it showed in stock it had not been produced yet. After waiting several weeks I emailed them several times over the course of 3 days before I ever got a response. Finally they told me the 10mm was done but were waiting on powder for the 9mm so they agreed to split the shipment up and sent me the 10mm and said the 9mm would be ready in 3+ weeks. I waited for another 6 weeks and checked their web page and noticed they had some 9mm in stock that was different than the one I ordered. That seemed to me that the powder was in so I emailed them 3 or 4 times over 2 days finally getting a response saying my ammo was done but did not realize that I still had an open order.

I ordered some 10mm from Underwood ammo and I received it in 2 days. I have shot both the Underwood and Double Tap both in 200 grain and IMO the Underwood feels like a hotter load.
I had a similar experience... took them over a month to get me three boxes of 10mm even though it was listed as in-stock on their website. There was a big red-letter banner on their website that said they were delayed shipping two weeks on in-stock items.

Good ammo, functions well. I didn't chrony it, but it didn't seem to hit quite as hard as the Underwood that was rated 50fps slower.

·
Registered
20,602 Posts
I chrono everything. DT is a solid performer. It's all I buy.

I never get low enough on ammo to let a little wait time get me down, although I have never had an issue with DT delivery wait times.

Reactions: R040607

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I chrono everything. DT is a solid performer. It's all I buy.

I never get low enough on ammo to let a little wait time get me down, although I have never had an issue with DT delivery wait times.
Did you ever compare DT and Underwood in your 10s?

·
Registered
20,602 Posts
Did you ever compare DT and Underwood in your 10s?
No, no that I can recall. The DT I have used has either exceeded or come very close to claimed velocities in my testing. Because of that and my loyalty to Mike and his product for single handedly keeping Norma strength ammo available to the public when no one else cared about the 10mm, I don't bother with any of the bandwagon jumpers.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
No, no that I can recall. The DT I have used has either exceeded or come very close to claimed velocities in my testing. Because of that and my loyalty to Mike and his product for single handedly keeping Norma strength ammo available to the public when no one else cared about the 10mm, I don't bother with any of the bandwagon jumpers.
There is certainly some credit to be given for that. My only issue is that he charges so much more than UW, and my experience with his delivery time was sour. Of course, that was during the crunch that's going on, but still...

·
Registered
20,602 Posts
There is certainly some credit to be given for that. My only issue is that he charges so much more than UW, and my experience with his delivery time was sour. Of course, that was during the crunch that's going on, but still...
Well certainly price is a consideration, especially these days. I dont buy from DT often, and 90% of my shooting is with handloads. But I buy DT for the speciality loads when I want a certain velocity with a certain bullet that I cant make at home, like the heavy gas checked lead Beartooth loads. I might shoot a mag full to verify POI, and then save them for the occasion I intended for them.

If UW works for you, great.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I use their 10mm 135gr in my 610 and couldnt find anything to complain about. I called them once and talked to the owner for a half hour about 10mm stuff, including technical stuff, and he was pretty smart.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Well certainly price is a consideration, especially these days. I dont buy from DT often, and 90% of my shooting is with handloads. But I buy DT for the speciality loads when I want a certain velocity with a certain bullet that I cant make at home, like the heavy gas checked lead Beartooth loads. I might shoot a mag full to verify POI, and then save them for the occasion I intended for them.

If UW works for you, great.
When you hand load your 10mm do you usually load them hotter like the double tap or lighter target loads or do you do both?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts