Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got another thread going about leather holsters and one of the companies I'm looking at gives you an option for a standard / non-tuckable clip or a tuckable clip.

Are there any particular pros and cons to untuckable or tuckable clips (besides the fact you can tuck your shirt in)?

Take a look at the photos attached.

For example, the untuckable model, the entire back of the clip is secured to the leather top-to-bottom. The tuckable is held by a single screw. Therefore I would expect more in / out flex with the tuckable model. The untuckable looks like it might stay tighter. Plus for the tuckable would be the adjustable cant.

Are tuckable clips generally farther out from the rest of the holster than an untuckable model? Essentially are tuckable holsters overall thicker than an untuckable one?

Anything else?

I need a quick on and off holster (need to disarm before exercising at my gym), and therefore prefer single clip. I really NEVER tuck in my shirt and if I ever have an occasion to do it I'd probably find another carry method or skip. So I don't really need to tuck. Just looking for any + or - to choosing a tucking clip.

Untuckable:

Tuckable:

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
I have one holster set up with clips I can tuck my shirt in. I ONLY use it for "church carry", so I don't have to wear a dress jacket during summer months. It's for ONE pistol, FOR one carry option (church). I prefer other holster's for daily carry (same pistol of the 4 I carry, but more secure, as, as often as not, I'm on my motorcycle. If that helps. I'd say as a comparison question, you'd need to try them out. From what you want for easy off, to the gym carry, I think I'd look at "single spring clip type attachment". In my mind, nothing come's off easier/faster.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
How serious about surviving a fight are you?

Personally, I won’t carry anything that doesn’t fully enclose and lock on a belt mechanically.

I take several ground fighting gun classes a year. Gear comes off and/or gets ripped off, even when that is not the intent of the exercise.

With practice loops with one way snaps are very quick and easy to put on. You loosen the belt, unsnap the loops, insert holster into waistband, thread loops behind belt, snap loops, tighten belt to level of comfort.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You saved me from writing a post! I'm also wondering this. I'd like to have a tuckable holster because I just like to wear my shirts tucked in. Don't really care to change my dressing style because of a gun. I'm currently using a 3 speed belly band holster but find it gets a little too hot and sweaty around my waist in the summer months. Would like to find myself a nice tuckable leather holster..

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Got another thread going about leather holsters and one of the companies I'm looking at gives you an option for a standard / non-tuckable clip or a tuckable clip.

Are there any particular pros and cons to untuckable or tuckable clips (besides the fact you can tuck your shirt in)?

Take a look at the photos attached.

For example, the untuckable model, the entire back of the clip is secured to the leather top-to-bottom. The tuckable is held by a single screw. Therefore I would expect more in / out flex with the tuckable model. The untuckable looks like it might stay tighter. Plus for the tuckable would be the adjustable cant.

Are tuckable clips generally farther out from the rest of the holster than an untuckable model? Essentially are tuckable holsters overall thicker than an untuckable one?

Anything else?

I need a quick on and off holster (need to disarm before exercising at my gym), and therefore prefer single clip. I really NEVER tuck in my shirt and if I ever have an occasion to do it I'd probably find another carry method or skip. So I don't really need to tuck. Just looking for any + or - to choosing a tucking clip.
I don't like that sort of clip at all, in tuckable or non-tuckable.

Look into something with a pull-the-dot type snap loop. It's much more secure, and you don't risk scratching furnature. IMHO & YMMV.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The best tuckable holster I've found for a Glock 26/27 is a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment, which is made of horsehide and features a small kydex hook. Mainly, I take the holster and gun off in the car, tuck it into the space between the center console and front bucket seat, then reverse the process before I go into a store or restaurant (watching for nearby folks in trucks or building windows).

I've found that even the chunky baby Glocks hardly print at all with a mag extension under a t-shirt, unless walking into a stiff wind when I surreptitiously hold the bottom edge of the shirt down and away.

For tucking in a shirt, I reverse the way I thread my belt so the tag end goes to the right instead of left. With a black belt it's darn near impossible to spot the top of the clip and if one lets the dress shirt or golf shirt blouse out a bit, I'd say 99.9% of those around me never know I'm carrying.

Update: I used to wear this rig at 12:30 but sitting for long periods of time forced the tip of the holster and muzzle into my femoral nerve, which can be painful and actually numb the right leg, so as I start trying this method again with a new G27, I'm sliding my belt buckle to the left and centering the clip at 12 o-clock so the muzzle presses straight down into my groin. I fully understand some people don't trust a gun pointing at their groin or femoral artery, but when I 'gun up' it's with the gun secured in the holster and the trigger guard is firmly seated in the horsehide. I would NEVER try to re-holster a gun in this position.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If it doesn't have a pull the dot loop on it I will not wear it. All holsters with clips are in a drawer. I won't even give them away.

The first time a holster with a "good clip" came off I was coaching my sons baseball game. NEVER again.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That Galco 2nd Amendment looks like something I'd like...but unfortunately it appears they do not make it for the P365.

Lee N Field...I have been looking at those snaps as well. Unfortunately they seem to either be a bit bulkier or much more expensive. Though I'm debating. The Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 is in stock for ASAP shipment for the P365.... I've heard great thinks about Sparks... Also they don't seem quite as easy/quick on/off as the clips higher up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts