Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reports I'm seeing this morning are saying the Dallas PD used a robot to place a bomb to take out the holed up gunman??

This is surprising to say the least, to me anyway....

This is the very first time I've heard of LE actively using explosives in such a manner. Door breaching is one thing, simply blowing up a perp is another.

Boy am I torn on this; on one hand I am so very glad no more officers had to risk their lives to get rid of this scum.

...but what is the ROE for LE in this country to do that? that sure seems like an incredibly dangerous precedent to set.... :confused:

·
Banned
374 Posts
There were 12 officers in the street, 5 of them dead. One of the perpetrators was cornered and armed. At that point, I really don't care how they killed him as long as it was the fastest, safest way to do so without risking any more lives. If they had access to such a robotic device, why would they not use it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
There were 12 officers in the street, 5 of them dead. One of the perpetrators was cornered and armed. At that point, I really don't care how they killed him as long as it was the fastest, safest way to do so without risking any more lives. If they had access to such a robotic device, why would they not use it?
Yep..... That about sums up my feelings on the subject.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Would you want to get in the way of a perp who had just shot up armed cops?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
As long as they modify rule #4, it's fine with me. Instead of making sure people know what is beyond their target, they need to know what is all around their target. If there's no hostages, and no innocents around to hurt, it doesn't matter to me. They can shoot him, blow him up, gas him out/to death, whatever. If there was a known cop killer/domestic terrorist like this help up in a log cabin, as long as there's no chance of it spreading, they could just light the building on fire to finish him off for all I care as long as nobody innocent loses their life.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Fox reported that the police detonated one of the shooter's bombs.

This is really early in the investigation, so you have to be skeptical of any information being released. There's a lot of speculation and second guessing going on and it leads to a lot of bad intel and news reports.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/5/1...a_police_bombs
"Today marks the twenty-fifth anniversary of a massive police operation in Philadelphia that culminated in the helicopter bombing of the headquarters of a radical group known as MOVE. The fire from the attack killed six adults and five children and destroyed sixty-five homes. Despite two grand jury investigations and a commission finding that top officials were grossly negligent, no one from city government was criminally charged"

Today- it was robots delivering bombs.. how about rocket pods on police helicopters? an artillery strike at the next "Ruby Ridge" cult to shell the compound? a current military favorite- drones leveling a house with a "threat" holed up in it? Where is the line?

...I'm just as glad as this guy got himself dead without any more officers risking their lives. but once LE is allowed to use explosive ordnance INSIDE our national borders..... isn't the DELIVERY VEHICLE of such ordnance largely a moot point? again, WHAT IS THE ROE here? how long until the first "mistake" and the wrong house gets blown up? isn't this why so many have problems with no-knock warrants?

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
"Bomb?" Flash bang grenade more likely.
I'd agree , to the media, whether or not the know the difference( they don't) that flash bang is full of photoflash and had the holed up swine had ANY kind of device, that flashbang would have triggered a sympathetic detonation

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Most of the recent coverage says that the police did use an explosive device. The bad guy said he had explosives and this is how the police deal with it. They try to detonate the bad guy's IED using their own explosives.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
probably just trying to "blow the gun out of his hand" and maybe the robot was racist and decided to kill the guy.......oh well...:embarassed:

Hazard of the racist sniper trade I guess....but I can appreciate how some feel that blowing up a guy who just shot 11 cops would be a problem. I really can.....really...:scratchchin:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Fox reported that the police detonated one of the shooter's bombs.

This is really early in the investigation, so you have to be skeptical of any information being released. There's a lot of speculation and second guessing going on and it leads to a lot of bad intel and news reports.
Maybe they were just returning it to him, oh, I think you dropped this. Any word on the robot?

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
probably just trying to "blow the gun out of his hand" and maybe the robot was racist and decided to kill the guy.......oh well...:embarassed:

Hazard of the racist sniper trade I guess....but I can appreciate how some feel that blowing up a guy who just shot 11 cops would be a problem. I really can.....really...:scratchchin:
what a snide, snarky, and short sighted comment....

so you're ok with using explosive devices on American Citizens in Law Enforcement? Doesn't matter if those bombs are dropped from the air or what? You believe that in future situations the "people in charge" will be able to do accurate collateral damage assessments to ensure no one is hurt besides the "bad guy"?

...and I thought us getting wadded up over giving Podunk sherriff an old MRAP was something..... now we're ok with calling in an airstrike on American soil because of some whacko sniper?

Welcome to the New World Order... ??

And lets not pretend this isn't in the cards. Today it might be a robot placing a bomb in an admittedly extreme situation like this. But hey, SWAT officers are called on every day to risk their lives, it's an easy sell to say those guys shouldn't be put in as much risk. And while I doubt (I hope) we won't be seeing F-16's bombing American cities, some convenient drone strikes on the next whacko ..... hey, they're "precision weapons" that can "minimize risk" to "both officers and the public" - oh yeah, I can see the sales pitch on MSNBC right now.

"....and hey, it was already done in Texas when that whacko shot those cops, so it's not like it's a new thing folks, we just want to commission these drones to carry a small tactical warhead."

but one thing that WON'T talked about in that sales pitch is WHO GETS TO AUTHORIZE these strikes....

I know emotions are high right now because of how horrible this is. Frankly, I think a quick "lights out" in an explosion was too good for this guy...

BUT - you really want it to be ok for us to be doing this to our own citizens on our own soil?????

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
what a snide, snarky, and short sighted comment....

so you're ok with using explosive devices on American Citizens in Law Enforcement? Doesn't matter if those bombs are dropped from the air or what? You believe that in future situations the "people in charge" will be able to do accurate collateral damage assessments to ensure no one is hurt besides the "bad guy"?

...and I thought us getting wadded up over giving Podunk sherriff an old MRAP was something..... now we're ok with calling in an airstrike on American soil because of some whacko sniper?

Welcome to the New World Order... ??

And lets not pretend this isn't in the cards. Today it might be a robot placing a bomb in an admittedly extreme situation like this. But hey, SWAT officers are called on every day to risk their lives, it's an easy sell to say those guys shouldn't be put in as much risk. And while I doubt (I hope) we won't be seeing F-16's bombing American cities, some convenient drone strikes on the next whacko ..... hey, they're "precision weapons" that can "minimize risk" to "both officers and the public" - oh yeah, I can see the sales pitch on MSNBC right now.

"....and hey, it was already done in Texas when that whacko shot those cops, so it's not like it's a new thing folks, we just want to commission these drones to carry a small tactical warhead."

but one thing that WON'T talked about in that sales pitch is WHO GETS TO AUTHORIZE these strikes....

I know emotions are high right now because of how horrible this is. Frankly, I think a quick "lights out" in an explosion was too good for this guy...

BUT - you really want it to be ok for us to be doing this to our own citizens on our own soil?????

Yes! DR

If it were your son or daughter I was protecting with that drone strike Id still say yes. If it were mine Id ask to push the button. DR

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Would have been a good time to try out remote controlled drones. Surveillance without risking LEO lives.

·
Banned
374 Posts
so you're ok with using explosive devices on American Citizens.................. BUT - you really want it to be ok for us to be doing this to our own citizens on our own soil?????
If the situation calls for it, as it did last night, YES, WE'RE OK WITH IT. Every situation will require that assessment to be made at the time. It seems what you are really asking is if we are willing to entrust the decision to law enforcement? Again, the answer is YES. I've browsed the thread and that seems to be the message over and over. If they get it wrong then hold them accountable but the ability to act must be theirs. Yes....we're ok with it.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.