Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading some pretty good reviews about CorBon's DPX round in penetration and expansion. Does anyone have personal experience with this round? I carry an XD-40 and a Kel Tec P3AT. I want the most I can get out of my BUG .380, but I'm also considering switching from GD's for my .40 too. What do you think?

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Personaly I think ammo selection is the least of the self defense equation , about any modern hp ammo is going to be fine

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
I have been carrying DPX+P in my 45. It shoots straight. The only experience I have with it penetration is that last year I went on a wild boar hunt. After droping one with my rifle I still had to give it a little love tap with my 45. While dressing the boar the 45 fell out from the center of the boar with a perfect mushroom.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Check Steve Camp's site http://www.highpowersandhandguns.com/ - and browse thru some of his very useful testing - several DPX tests are there now.

I am well impressed with them and may change eventually but for now my GD's are good.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The DPX's are a good looking round. That hollow point is impressive. It's good to know if I'm stranded I can use them to hold water! They've got the largest cavity i've seen in a hollow point and that's what I've got loaded up right now in my carry rig. I use gold dots in my .32 and still have my backup mag loaded with them as well.

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
They do have a very wide and deep cavity. I had a hard time finding them. I ended up ordering four boxes from Corbon for the same price that the store would of sold them.

·
Registered
606 Posts
In my experience I've found that any ammo I've tried from corbon is excellent. I expect this to be no less.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Corbon DPX and Speer GD in P-3AT...

From StoppingPower.net:

10% Ballistic Gelatin Tests for:
Corbon .380 80 gr DPX

Testing Platform:
Keltec 3AT

Barrier:
Bare Gelatin

TEST RESULTS:

Round # 1:
Penetration: 8.375”
Recovered Weight: 80.2 gr.
Expansion*: .714 cal.
Velocity: 914.7 fps

10% Ballistic Gelatin Tests for:
Corbon .380 80 gr DPX

Testing Platform:
Keltec 3AT

Barrier:
Four Layers of Denim

TEST RESULTS:

Round # 1:
Penetration: 6.75”
Recovered Weight: 80.8 gr.
Expansion*: .732 cal.
Velocity: 958.6 fps

* Expansion measured at widest point.

Keltec P-3AT (Clothing Barrier)
Speer .380 90 gr. Gold Dot
Pen 10.50” Exp .476

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
over on the ktog.org page they have test data. also at the kel tec range site they have good information on loads.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I've done a lot of reading about different rounds and I decided to carry the Corbon 140gr DPX in my SIG .40's. :hand10:

However, as we all know, no matter what round you choose, ya gotta hit your target with it! :yup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts