Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say your in a gas station in florida. A masked man walks in. Its 95 degrees and you know he aint going skiing. Would you draw immediately and ask them to remove the mask? Or would you wait for them to produce a weapon?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Lets say your in a gas station in florida. A masked man walks in. Its 95 degrees and you know he aint going skiing. Would you draw immediately and ask them to remove the mask? Or would you wait for them to produce a weapon?
If I was working in the gas station I think I would draw and announce in my command voice, "Stop! Turn around and leave!". As soon as I saw a weapon of his start to clear the holster, pocket or belt I would fire. In other words I would draw at the sight of the mask, but fire only when, but as soon as I saw, a weapon.

If I was simply a customer at the gas station I would skedaddle if at all possible and call 9-1-1 from a place of safety. Not my job to be a security guard for the gas station.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I'd wait for them to produce a weapon, then draw and ask them to remove the mask. If they don't comply immediately, I'd then say please remove your mask. If they still didn't comply, I'd threaten to dial 911 holding up the phone in an attempt to get them to comply. If they still didn't comply, I'd sign the request thinking they may be deaf. If they didn't comply with the signing request, I'd just walk out before I got more frustrated.

Once outside, I might be found banging my head against my vehicle hood, wondering why I was asking him to remove his mask to begin with. :scratchchin:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Well, I wear what would appear to be a ski mask in the summer - my skin is rather pale, and it is the only way that I can avoid sunburn when fishing all day in the Texas Gulf Coast sun - or when I am on the range for a week straight at Gunsite (Paulden, AZ) in June.

Yes, I am somewhat masochistic in my recreation choices....but that's my business and not yours.

If I were to happen to still have the mask over my face when I walked into a convenience store and someone were to draw a pistol and point it at me, I would likely take offense, and consider that person to be the sort officious busybody who pesters your non-stop for a whistle....and when you provide one they blow it all day long just to be sure that it still works.

That sort of unfortunate incident would prompt me to write a strongly-worded letter to the store's management, three different congressmen, the NRA, and Dear Abby. Do you really want to open that can of worms by brandishing your (I hope) legally carried firearm at someone who has done nothing more than make a truly unfortunate fashion choice?

I will also add that when carrying a legally concealed firearm for personal defense, brandishing said firearm in the direction of a citizen going about their business who has not indulged in overtly threatening behavior may result in two other unfortunate outcomes...an opportunity for you to closely inspect the back seat of a police cruiser and/or the sudden onset of an acute case of lead poisoning. I for one tend to carry a minimum of one legally concealed firearm when indulging in the outdoor activities that cause me to wear a "buff" (otherwise known as a sun mask), and when a person threatens the use of lethal force (such as pointing a firearm directly at me) I tend to move off-axis to the threat and then do my best to employ sound tactics for the situation.

·
Registered
887 Posts
This is a situation for the police. Be a good witnesss and that's it. Drawing on someone just for wearing a mask is going to land you in a world of hurt.
Agree. if I couldn't get out of building, it would have to progress further before drawing my gun.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Do nothing until hes a threat. Which he isnt at this point.
Id hate to pull a gun on a guy who is disfigured, shy and covering it up .
Or some other ligit reason.

Watch him sure. Maybe even draw my gun and hide it behind my leg. Hand on it for sure.

But at this point he has as much right to be there as I do. Ill save my " command voice" and plug the guy, without warning if he becomes a threat that warrants it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Common courtesy would be to remove it before you enter. I think you would be asking for trouble walking into a store in Florida with your face covered. Many places dont even allow hooded sweatshirts.
Common courtesy is only slightly less common than common sense.

And here's the funny thing about "common sense". It is nothing more (or less) than the accumulated life lessons and prejudices that you internalized prior to the moment that you become an adult. Everyone's personal version of "common sense" and "common courtesy" is dictated by where & when they were raised, who their parents, teachers, and school chums were, and how frequently and thoroughly they were beaten by corporals and sergeants when they were learning how to be a soldier.....or maybe that last part is only applicable to some of us.

Bottom line is that when you look at another person that you know nothing about and then assume that their idea of common courtesy is the same as yours, you are very close to asking to have an unpleasant misunderstanding with them. The unfortunate thing about attempting to resolve an unpleasant misunderstanding with force (or the implied threat of force) is that no matter how hardened you think your are, someone out there always has a bigger stick than you.

My suggestion is to stop looking for a reason to draw a firearm, and stop attempting to rationalize that desire. My fondest wish is to go through the rest of my life carrying a legally concealed firearm (or maybe I'll OC when the situation indicates that it would be a good choice) without ever once grasping that firearm in earnest.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In Florida if you feel threatened you can draw and if you were mistaken, as long as you dont point it at them no crime has been committed.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I didnt mean point out at him. Just draw and have it ready.
How would a police officer respond to someone standing at a "Stop-n-rob" with a drawn firearm?

What if a plainclothes officer is behind you, and doesn't have a line of sight to me in my horrifically ugly sun mask as I walk through the door?

What if his command to "drop it" startles you and you spin around to see what all the noise is about and he sees that as a threatening act (given that you already have a firearm drawn)?

Pleas don't force me to live in a world where my truly awful fashion sense leads to you being on the receiving end of a handgun round. We haven't even had a chance to meet and disagree over who's version of common sense makes more sense.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
In Florida if you feel threatened you can draw and if you were mistaken, as long as you dont point it at them no crime has been committed.
Do you HONESTLY feel threatened by a person wearing an article of clothing that you feel is out of place? Do you feel confident that you could articulate the specific and immediate nature of that threat to a jury should an over-zealous DA decide to press charges (nah, that never happens in Florida).

In my books, the appropriate response to someone entering a business in clothing that seems discordant to you would be to move from "yellow" to "orange". If you don't know exactly what I mean by that statement, I would politely and earnestly request that you read "Principles of Personal Defense" by Col. Jeff Cooper, and seek out a pistol 250 class at Gunsite (or other reputable training establishment).

After going to "orange", note what is discordant, be observant, look at body language of the person wearing the mask, and if you still feel that something isn't right then move off-axis of the threat, staying aware of your surroundings. Ensure that should the situation devolve towards violence you will be in a position where your specific, measured, planned response to a threat is taking place in a way where you will immediately gain full control of the situation. If you do it right violence can ideally be avoided, and if not it can be minimized. Based on further developments, you would then choose whether to remove yourself from the situation, or take other action as dictated by subsequent developments.

My further suggestion is that if the imminent, specific threat to you and.or others does not justify dialing 911, then it doesn't justify drawing a firearm. I may be unusual in this, but I have never felt compelled to call 911 based on what someone is wearing on their head.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
This is where pocket carry shines.

I'd have my hand in pocket ready to present my 38 snub on very short notice if need be. And no one in the immediate vicinity would suspect me of anything. If Mr Mask turns out to be Mr Store Robber Wannabe, I'm ready to defend myself if he looks like he's after anything more than the cash register. Short of that, I'm not contracted to protect that corporation's profits, so he can clean out their till and I'll be a good witness, maybe with his license plate number and description of the getaway vehicle and accomplices.

But there's no way I'll draw and fire if he just grabs the money and runs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You may want to think about whether you're ready to carry a concealed handgun.
Been carrying for years. The laws here in Florida are quite different from P.A. if i feel a credible threat i can draw and it is not a crime. It is not brandishing until you point it. As long as you feel threatened you are fine. Example : a man says hes going to beat you up. He takes a step toward you. You draw and he backs off. You are not in any trouble. I can pretty much garuntee if im in a gas station here and a man walks in with a ski mask, if i pull my gun and it turns out hes a freak with extra pale skin, im NOT going to be charged.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I am not going to draw on a person based solely on the fact that they are wearing a mask under suspicious circumstances. The mask is not what creates the element of jeopardy, some other action does. If I cannot easily articulate why I was in immediate danger, I am not going to take action against them. Speaking just for myself, I would require more overt acts before I would act against them. If they come in wearing a mask, I will get the heck out of there. If something happens while I am trying to leave, I may do something else. That's just me

1 - 20 of 104 Posts