Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for you guys (and gals). I have a 10/22 (who doesn't?). I love that little rifle. I want to dress it up with a new stock. I'm old school about some things, and in the case of most rifles, I like steel and wood, so I want to keep a wood stock on it. I'm thinking about seeing if I can obtain a 10/22 sporter stock for it. The sporter model has a really nice walnut stock with cut checkering.

So my question is if the 10/22 barreled action can just slip into the sporter stock or if any modifications would need to be made. Also, I don't yet know if I can buy just the stock.

I know the 10/22 is highly customizable but I don't know if it's as easy as just slipping it into a new stock. I'm just beginning to research this, and I will do a web search and youtube search as well. If nothing turns up I will contact Ruger to see how I can proceed.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine on the subject.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Check out ATI out of Flordia.

This is just one example..............: Amazon.com: ati stock 10 22

There are also a long list of folding stocks................. but it all ends up GOOD!

At the end of the day, I would not want to get hit by several rounds from this, or anything else.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
So my question is if the 10/22 barreled action can just slip into the sporter stock or if any modifications would need to be made.

I know the 10/22 is highly customizable but I don't know if it's as easy as just slipping it into a new stock.
Yes, a barreled action with a sporter barrel should just slip into the walnut sporter stock. I have 3 10-22s, and from time to time will swap out one of my barreled actions into a different stock and have had no problems.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check out ATI out of Flordia.

This is just one example..............: Amazon.com: ati stock 10 22

There are also a long list of folding stocks................. but it all ends up GOOD!
Thanks for the link, ANGLICO. I know the type of stock I'm after - wlanut with nice checkering. While I was just on the Brownell's site I did a search for "10/22 stocks."

I got this product hit:

Ruger 10/22 10 22 barrel band stocks Parts at Brownells

Not what I was after, but I kinda like it. After I find the one I'm after I may go back and get this one also. I like the look of a "Chicago" 10/22!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, a barreled action with a sporter barrel should just slip into the walnut sporter stock. I have 3 10-22s, and from time to time will swap out one of my barreled actions into a different stock and have had no problems.
Thanks for the info Bama. Problem is this is not a sporter barrel. It's the standard 10/22 barrel, with barrel band. My fear is that it won't just slip into a sporter stock. I may have to just suck it up and buy the sporter model to get what I want. Bummer. I was hoping to save a little money on the project.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Thanks for the link, ANGLICO. I know the type of stock I'm after - wlanut with nice checkering. While I as just on the Brownell's site I did a search for "10/22 stocks."

I got this product hit:

Ruger 10/22 10 22 barrel band stocks Parts at Brownells

Not what I was after, but I kinda like it. After I find the one I'm after I may go back and get this one also. I like the look of a "Chicago" 10/22!
OK - I'm clued in. I go staight to CQB thiniking on these things.... LOL at me. Apologies. We get trained to think in one direction..........................only..........

It will be very nice with a hard core more traditional stock.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK - I'm clued in. I go staight to CQB thiniking on these things.... LOL at me. Apologies. We get trained to think in one direction..........................only..........

It will be very nice with a hard core more traditional stock.
LOL. Yeah, I know what you mean. When someone talks about "dressing up" a firearm, most people are talking about synthetics with accessories coming out the yin-yang. I'm a simple, old school kinda guy. On most of my rifles, I like just plain steel and wood. Showing my age I guess.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You may want to check directly with Ruger.
I've been on their site and they don't seem to offer the stock as a separate item. I'm going to contact them to make sure, and to find out what they have to say about putting a standard barreled 10/22 in a sporter stock. It may not even be possible. I may have to either go with an after market barrel or just buy a sporter model. This is getting more interesting than I had hoped. We'll see how it turns out.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
LOL. Yeah, I know what you mean. When someone talks about "dressing up" a firearm, most people are talking about synthetics with accessories coming out the yin-yang. I'm a simple, old school kinda guy. On most of my rifles, I like just plain steel and wood. Showing my age I guess.
Old School is good. Go with what you know, Bro!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Thanks for the info Bama. Problem is this is not a sporter barrel. It's the standard 10/22 barrel, with barrel band. My fear is that it won't just slip into a sporter stock. I may have to just suck it up and buy the sporter model to get what I want. Bummer. I was hoping to save a little money on the project.
I'm sorry, my post wasn't very clear. I have a sporter stock, and the standard barrel fits in it just fine. The barrel band is a feature of the standard stock. The barreled action from your rifle will fit just fine in the walnut sporter stock.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a question for you guys (and gals). I have a 10/22 (who doesn't?). I love that little rifle. I want to dress it up with a new stock. I'm old school about some things, and in the case of most rifles, I like steel and wood, so I want to keep a wood stock on it. I'm thinking about seeing if I can obtain a 10/22 sporter stock for it. The sporter model has a really nice walnut stock with cut checkering.

So my question is if the 10/22 barreled action can just slip into the sporter stock or if any modifications would need to be made. Also, I don't yet know if I can buy just the stock.

I know the 10/22 is highly customizable but I don't know if it's as easy as just slipping it into a new stock. I'm just beginning to research this, and I will do a web search and youtube search as well. If nothing turns up I will contact Ruger to see how I can proceed.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine on the subject.
All the 10-22 stocks are interchangeable. Call customer service or go to the website. I work at the plant in Newport.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Have you considered dressing up yours? I've stripped, sanded, and refinished a couple older rifles now and been happy with the results,although I haven't cut any checkering. I understand wanting to loose the barrel band. There are a couple of aftermarket wood and laminated wood stock makers out there as well.
I am lucky, I spent the extra $30 or so back in '87 to buy the nicer wood.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Reactions: SmokinFool

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sorry, my post wasn't very clear. I have a sporter stock, and the standard barrel fits in it just fine. The barrel band is a feature of the standard stock. The barreled action from your rifle will fit just fine in the walnut sporter stock.
Ahh, OK cool. I apparently misunderstood you. Thanks for letting me know. Now I just need to find a stock.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is another: Slide Fire - Slide Fire® - Superior Performance Gun Stocks

But there is always the elephant in the closest; you got ammo?
Thanks for the link. Looks cool, but not what I'm after. That's exactly what I was talking about when I said "synthetic with accessories out the yin-yang." Give me a nice walnut stock and I'm happy. I'll keep looking. I'm sure I'll find something I'll be happy with.

Oh, and yes, I'm OK on .22 ammo.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
It sounds like you want to lose the barrel band altogether. Another option addressing how the rifle shoots is to use a Dremel to reduce the inside of the band so that the barrel doesn't touch it. In my experience, removing the band or doing the procedure I mentioned improves slightly accuracy of the stock barrel. However, some people don't notice a difference either way.

But if you want to consider re-finishing your standard birch stock, that gives you something to think about.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm with you, I like the old school wood and steel. Though I do like synthetic if it is a hunting gun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts