Defensive Carry banner

Dressing Up A 10/22

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Wolfiesden 
#1 ·
I have a question for you guys (and gals). I have a 10/22 (who doesn't?). I love that little rifle. I want to dress it up with a new stock. I'm old school about some things, and in the case of most rifles, I like steel and wood, so I want to keep a wood stock on it. I'm thinking about seeing if I can obtain a 10/22 sporter stock for it. The sporter model has a really nice walnut stock with cut checkering.

So my question is if the 10/22 barreled action can just slip into the sporter stock or if any modifications would need to be made. Also, I don't yet know if I can buy just the stock.

I know the 10/22 is highly customizable but I don't know if it's as easy as just slipping it into a new stock. I'm just beginning to research this, and I will do a web search and youtube search as well. If nothing turns up I will contact Ruger to see how I can proceed.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine on the subject.

#2 ·
Check out ATI out of Flordia.

This is just one example..............: Amazon.com: ati stock 10 22

There are also a long list of folding stocks................. but it all ends up GOOD!

At the end of the day, I would not want to get hit by several rounds from this, or anything else.

#4 ·
Check out ATI out of Flordia.

This is just one example..............: Amazon.com: ati stock 10 22

There are also a long list of folding stocks................. but it all ends up GOOD!
Thanks for the link, ANGLICO. I know the type of stock I'm after - wlanut with nice checkering. While I was just on the Brownell's site I did a search for "10/22 stocks."

I got this product hit:

Ruger 10/22 10 22 barrel band stocks Parts at Brownells

Not what I was after, but I kinda like it. After I find the one I'm after I may go back and get this one also. I like the look of a "Chicago" 10/22!

#3 ·
So my question is if the 10/22 barreled action can just slip into the sporter stock or if any modifications would need to be made.

I know the 10/22 is highly customizable but I don't know if it's as easy as just slipping it into a new stock.
Yes, a barreled action with a sporter barrel should just slip into the walnut sporter stock. I have 3 10-22s, and from time to time will swap out one of my barreled actions into a different stock and have had no problems.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info Bama. Problem is this is not a sporter barrel. It's the standard 10/22 barrel, with barrel band. My fear is that it won't just slip into a sporter stock. I may have to just suck it up and buy the sporter model to get what I want. Bummer. I was hoping to save a little money on the project.

#11 ·
I've been on their site and they don't seem to offer the stock as a separate item. I'm going to contact them to make sure, and to find out what they have to say about putting a standard barreled 10/22 in a sporter stock. It may not even be possible. I may have to either go with an after market barrel or just buy a sporter model. This is getting more interesting than I had hoped. We'll see how it turns out.

#15 ·
Have you considered dressing up yours? I've stripped, sanded, and refinished a couple older rifles now and been happy with the results,although I haven't cut any checkering. I understand wanting to loose the barrel band. There are a couple of aftermarket wood and laminated wood stock makers out there as well.
I am lucky, I spent the extra $30 or so back in '87 to buy the nicer wood.

#16 ·
Reactions: SmokinFool
#18 ·
Thanks for the link. Looks cool, but not what I'm after. That's exactly what I was talking about when I said "synthetic with accessories out the yin-yang." Give me a nice walnut stock and I'm happy. I'll keep looking. I'm sure I'll find something I'll be happy with.

Oh, and yes, I'm OK on .22 ammo.

#19 ·
It sounds like you want to lose the barrel band altogether. Another option addressing how the rifle shoots is to use a Dremel to reduce the inside of the band so that the barrel doesn't touch it. In my experience, removing the band or doing the procedure I mentioned improves slightly accuracy of the stock barrel. However, some people don't notice a difference either way.

But if you want to consider re-finishing your standard birch stock, that gives you something to think about.

#20 ·
I'm with you, I like the old school wood and steel. Though I do like synthetic if it is a hunting gun.

#22 ·
Yep, piece o' cake. Go look for used Sporter stocks on fleaBay or GunBroker. No modifications necessary, and the nice thing is that the Sporter has sling swivel studs already in place. For one of my 10/22 builds, I went this route, but since I used a heavy barrel I had to open up the barrel channel - but you won't need to to that.

I think you should be able to find a nice stock for under $100.

#23 ·
As soon as they have stock (I mean IN-STOCK heh, pun not intended), I plan to replace my Predator T-Rex with this:

Rhineland arms Leopard 10/22 rifle Stocks

Yes, thats real solid walnut. Not laminated stuff or faux finish. I wanted a stock that had an adjustable cheek and LOP as well as having a full floated barrel and that I could properly bed. I really wanted one that had 2 or 3 way butt pad but I was getting into $700+ range so I decided to wait until the Leopards are available to order. They also make the same stock for my Savage Model 93. So once I get it and see how I like it I will likely switch out the sporter stock on my Savage to one of these as well. Price is reasonable at $140.

Sadly the only other option I have found is really really expensive.

STC INTIMIDATOR
Includes: inlet, adj. cheekpiece, 3-way adj. butt plate, molded-in camo/marble or paint
$774.00

I want it, but I don't want it at $700+ :( And its all resin, no wood at all. I like the look of real wood too. So I will wait till after my Florida trip to order the Leopard.

This is what my 10/22 currently looks like (being fired by my 9yr granddaughter Serena):

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.