Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is my first post, so I'm glad it's an interesting one.
Anyway, a few days ago my mom's car broke down so I offered to drive her to work, and pick her up in the evening.
So...around seven I went to pick her up, and she suggested we go to dinner, so we found a place to eat.
I parked in a garage and we had our dinner.
On our way back to the car, around ten, as we were walking through the poorly lit garage, two men approached us. One stopped in front of us and the other began to walk behind us.
The one walking behind us said something to the effect of "nice purse" to my mother.
I grabbed my mom's arm pulled her back and treaded back myself, preventing the second guy from getting behind us.
The other then said something like "why you leaving so soon" or something else cliché, these guys had seen to many movies.
Either way they were real sketchy looking and obviously intended to rob us.
At this point I reached into my pocket and drew my Ruger LCP (I like my CC weapons to be pocket sized.)
I drew my Ruger LCP from my pocket and held it at my side.
We had a strange standoff we're neither of them moved.
Holding my mom's arm but never taking my eyes off the two BG's, I lead my mom to the car.
I drove out of the garage with the tires squealing.
My mom, a very liberal, anti-gun type of person is now looking to get one for herself.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Interesting first post.

Biker

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jacksonville, they said there's been reports from the same garage before, apparently. My family is usually in Miami though, which is worse. I'm not that familiar with Jacksonville, my parents moved there when I went to college, so I don't spend much time there. The police came by my parent's place and spoke mostly to my mom, who made the call. They spoke with me as well.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I am glad that you and your Mother are OK.
Did you have any problems with the Local PD?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Jacksonville PD was pretty reasonable about the whole thing, I didn't get any problems about the Ruger, if that's what you mean. It must be frustrating to be a cop and know that there isn't much you can do about something like that.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Well glad it turned out OK. You did well, in your handling of the situation. :yup:
You and your mom walked away unhurt and you didn't have to shoot anyone... :hand10:

·
Registered
40 Posts
What garage?

I'm glad things worked out for you and your Mom.

Jacksonville, they said there's been reports from the same garage before, apparently. My family is usually in Miami though, which is worse. I'm not that familiar with Jacksonville, my parents moved there when I went to college, so I don't spend much time there. The police came by my parent's place and spoke mostly to my mom, who made the call. They spoke with me as well.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Dang, these stories always make my heart POUND! Glad it turned out OK, sounds like your LCP made all the difference in this encounter. I take it they, the BG's, knew you had drawn a firearm?

·
Administrator
143,827 Posts
Glad that it all worked out for the best. That was a great outcome to a potentially bad scenario.

There are MANY times every year when the mere presentation of a firearm is enough to prevent very bad things from happening.

Sometimes that is all that is required.

That is why I absolutely hate to hear... "I'll only DRAW my firearm if I'm going to shoot!" from some members.

I don't know WHERE that came from and/or how that ever got started but, whoever has learned that should UNlearn it in a big hurry.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Glad that it all worked out for the best. That was a great outcome to a potentially bad scenario.

There are MANY times every year when the mere presentation of a firearm is enough to prevent very bad things from happening.

Sometimes that is all that is required.

That is why I absolutely hate to hear... "I'll only DRAW my firearm if I'm going to shoot!" from some members.
I don't know WHERE that came from and/or how that ever got started but, whoever has learned that should UNlearn it in a big hurry.
Agreed +100 Over the years I have drawn twice with the full intention of shooting, both time the perp(s) beat a retreat. I would agree with not pulling unless your are justified to shoot but you do not always have to shoot once you clear leather. OMOYMMV

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Ya did good. First thing you did right was being armed in the first place, second was being aware, third was NOT to panic but let them know you were armed and ready to defend & last was to get your Mom to safety.

Good post.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm curious as well, did the BG's see your gun? If so, do you feel that stopped the potential threat of robbery by the two?

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
I believe the threat was obvious enough that you were justified in presenting your weapon. Good job. Good outcome.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
I'm curious as well, did the BG's see your gun? If so, do you feel that stopped the potential threat of robbery by the two?
That's my question, also. If they did see the gun, did they remain standing around to see what was going to happen?:confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I really want to know what garage?

I am betting it is one downtown. I am racking my brain trying to think of where their are any garages near restaurants in JAX other then downtown.

Please tell us!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts