Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon I got ready to go deer hunting. Got all camo'd out, rifle on the backseat of the truck and concealed weapon on my hip in its supertuck. I left the house and drove about 3/4 mile, rounded the curve and at the stop sign were two highway patrolmen. I pulled up to the one in the middle of the road handed him my DL & CWP. He asked if I had my weapon on me and I replied yes sir. He told me to have a nice day. I then told him that I would buckle my seat belt and he said thanks. I don't know why he didn't ask me about the seat belt...maybe too stunned about me handing him my CWP. Overall a good outcome.

·
Registered
862 Posts
sounds pretty straight forward. profesional and quick my guess is he wasn't going to waste time writing you a ticket since that's probably not what he's looking for at that checkpoint.

·
Super Moderator
17,120 Posts
Good outcome, around here we refer to them as “Revenue Enhancement Stops”.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Did you stop by the gas station and buy a lottery ticket?

·
Registered
94 Posts
heck, Any luck deer hunting?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am wondering what would the outcome would have been by a New York State trooper! I posted a thread yesterday if anyone had any stories of being pulled over by NY LEOs.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
.maybe too stunned about me handing him my CWP. Overall a good outcome.
Or maybe glad to meet a driver with his stuff together who doesn't give him a load of Barbara Streisand.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I want to know? Did you see anything? Shoot anything?
Nope I didn't see anything except a couple squirrels. One guy out of 4 of us saw a buck but wasn't able to get a shot off. Maybe better luck next week.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Nope I didn't see anything except a couple squirrels. One guy out of 4 of us saw a buck but wasn't able to get a shot off. Maybe better luck next week.
Good luck. I hate it when I hear something walking on leaves and it ends up being squirrel or chipmink.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I then told him that I would buckle my seat belt
You carry a pistol for personal protection, but don't buckle your seat belt?

Just sayin...

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
I agree with an 'above' poster...if you got by the LEO so well, and IF you bagged your deer...go buy a lottery ticket, because it's your lucky day.:danceban:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I dont know if I would call having to go thru a "papers, please" checkpoint a "good outcome" but I'm weird that way.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I dont know if I would call having to go thru a "papers, please" checkpoint a "good outcome" but I'm weird that way.
SCOTUS has upheld the legality of driver license checkpoints along with sobriety checkpoints and immigration checkpoints. I understand the reasoning for the sobriety and immigration checkpoints, but still have trouble understanding how driver license checkpoints are legal.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Good outcome, around here we refer to them as “Revenue Enhancement Stops”.
heh...Highway robbery is more like it.:rolleyes:, especially when it's around certain times of the month. Not trying to increase revenue or quotas my butt.:comeandgetsome:

Kinda surprised he didn't get you for the seatbelt though, unless your state doesn't require it. Here in VA they can't stop you solely for the seatbelt, but if they got you stopped for something else they can get you for it.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Did you stop by the gas station and buy a lottery ticket?

No Doubt^^^^^

He probably could have lept tall buildings in a single bound also!
Here they would have wrote you for sure fo no belt,
But every now and then monkeys fall out of trees

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
You carry a pistol for personal protection, but don't buckle your seat belt?

Just sayin...
:rofl: Yup, I'm guilty of that too..... I use the belt on the highway, but not downtown. I consider it a liability when in traffic and at city speeds, but mostly for the, incase someone wants an uninvited ride scenario. :hand5:

Oh, and the seatbelt law doesn't apply to trucks in Ga. If it's ever changed, I'll change with it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't know why he didn't ask me about the seat belt...

Because in SC you cannot write a ticket for "No Seatblet" at a Checkpoint. It was not a concern to him. We have been taught to not give it a second thought since usually the driver would have to remove the seatbelt to get to their DL.

But well handled by all parties!

Where in the Low Country was this?

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
This afternoon I got ready to go deer hunting. Got all camo'd out, rifle on the backseat of the truck and concealed weapon on my hip in its supertuck. I left the house and drove about 3/4 mile, rounded the curve and at the stop sign were two highway patrolmen. I pulled up to the one in the middle of the road handed him my DL & CWP. He asked if I had my weapon on me and I replied yes sir. He told me to have a nice day. I then told him that I would buckle my seat belt and he said thanks. I don't know why he didn't ask me about the seat belt...maybe too stunned about me handing him my CWP. Overall a good outcome.
I've been through I don't know how many "checkpoints" in just the past two years alone. They've always gone well for me, and the contact LEO always asks what I'm carrying, and where is it. That's all. Uneventful, as it should be. Our DL and CHL are considered as one here in Arkansas. If you have both, it's considered identification and handing over one without the other can change a 2 minute stop with questions answered into a 30 minute "please pull over to the side of the road" ordeal.
Good luck on your deer hunting, my wife and I need to wait another three weeks before modern gun season here. We'll probably go for another run at the squirrels next weekend though, and we've already seen several monster bucks on our drives to the mountain.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts