Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I wish to take my 15-rd 92FS in my vehicle on a driving trip to California. I already know there is no reciprocity there, so what precautions should I take? I intend on pulling the clip and putting it in the glovebox and moving the gun to the back of the vehicle before reaching the California state line...will that suffice?

I saw on Handgunlaw that a person can't "import a high capacity magazine" in to the state. Does that also mean no driving with a 15-rd magazine in the car?

Thanks!

maximumrob

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does that mean I can't even have it in the truck without the possibility of getting a citation for it? Even if the magazine isn't in the gun? I may be splitting hairs.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
You have 3 options.
1. Buy a 10 round magazine for this trip
2. Dont carry
3. I wont discuss because i do not advocate breaking the laws.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
That's it, only 10 rd. mags in Ca. Possession of high capacity mags, is an offense, I would think you'd go to jail over, not get a ticket....

·
Registered
185 Posts
Possession of a high cap mag in california is not illegal. Anyone with a pre-ban mag is free to use it. That is anyone who owned a high cap mag in commiefornia prior to 2000 is okay. It's only the importation, sale, purchase, loan, transfer, or manufacture of high cap magazines thats illegal. Yeah . . . I hate living here.

However since you would be crossing into cali with a high cap mag you could be arrested for illegally importing a high cap mag. Just carry three 10 rnd mags instead of two 15 rounders, would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Solution:
Find a gunshop near the border in AZ or NV or wherever you are going to cross and drop off the pistol for a "cleaning". Probably cost you about $10 or $20. Pick up your nice clean gun and magazines on the return trip. It's totally legal.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
"High capacity" is a term invented by the opposition; let's not absorb it into our own lexicon.

15 rounds is a FULL CAPACITY magazine.
10 rounds is a REDUCED CAPACITY magazine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a couple of 10 round mags. I would be willing to swap with you for a few days for the trip. I am off I-30 in Arlington.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not suggesting

but....

I heard this from a gun shop in CA, and I kind of agree.

If you disassemble the 15rd magazines, technically they are not considered as high-capacity-mags anymore. They just become the parts for the mag.

Will it pass by LEO? I still doubt it. But any lawyer with only a half brain will be able to get you right out of the REAL trouble (i.e. jail time) if you get caught with the PARTS of the high-cap-mags, rather than the high-cap-mags.

I am still not suggesting, though.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
but....

I heard this from a gun shop in CA, and I kind of agree.
Ah, gunshops, the great source of legal advice. :image035:

If you disassemble the 15rd magazines, technically they are not considered as high-capacity-mags anymore. They just become the parts for the mag.
And possession of parts to make a gun selective fire or full-auto are just gun parts, right? :aargh4:

Will it pass by LEO? I still doubt it. But any lawyer with only a half brain will be able to get you right out of the REAL trouble (i.e. jail time) if you get caught with the PARTS of the high-cap-mags, rather than the high-cap-mags.

I am still not suggesting, though.
I wouldn't bet MY freedom on that.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts