Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thankfully I have never had to use my CCW, and I know that if I ever do I am to only say three things:
1. I was in fear for my life.
2. I am to shaken to talk.
3. I want a lawyer.

I also know that a good lawyer can make the difference between going to jail and going home to your family, even if you legally protected yourself.

My question is: How do you go about finding a lawyer that has experience with self defence shootings?

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Did you try doing a search? I think I remember a thread about this awhile ago.

Now I'm hoping it wasn't on a different forum. :confused:

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
How do you go about finding a lawyer that has experience with self defence shootings?
Call or write your State Bar Association.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I thought about the same thing and I found one on our Missouri Carry website. He (Kevin Jamison) even hands out free stay out of jail cards for what to do and not do when/if in you are defending your life and is very active in the Missouri CCW world and supports allot of the CCW causes in Missouri.

Here's the link, http://www.kljamisonlaw.com/index.htm

It probably wont help you out were you live but you can look over his website to see what he does for the CCW permit holders. Maybe even give the office a call and see if he/they can recommend an attorny in your area.

Ti.

·
Super Moderator
23,961 Posts
Driving Home

Dingle1911 said:
Thankfully I have never had to use my CCW, and I know that if I ever do I am to only say three things:
3. I want a lawyer.

I also know that a good lawyer can make the difference between going to jail and going home to your family, even if you legally protected yourself.

My question is: How do you go about finding a lawyer that has experience with self defence shootings?
Dingle1911: I love your #1 and #2 above, but I might suggest, subject to some LEO input and input from a great self-defense attorney, that #3 might be something like "Do I need an attorney?"..."I think I do need an attorney, I'm pretty scared". I believe this accomplishes the same thing as just stating "I want/need an attorney"

The reason I suggest that phrasing is that it is a little less "abrasive" and a little bit less "guilty" or "confrontational" sounding while it still accomplishes the same thing. It's like using the word "considerations" instead of the word "issues", since "issues" has several negative connotations.

That's my $.02 and only IMHO, and I'd love to hear the thoughts and ideas of any LEO's and attorneys on board! :smoke23:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have heard some advise to say "I'm having chest pains" to preclude any questioning until a lawyer appears (after you or a loved one calls him) at the hospital.

·
Registered
210 Posts
On 11-26-05 I took my PCH training from a 20 year LEO. He said your best thing to do after the PD arives is to say as little as possible. He said that the PD is there to sort things out, gather evidence, secure the area, talk to witnesses, etc. They don't know if your the victim, or the BG. Try to stick to yes or no answers. Don't shoot off your mouth about how you had to "drop the guy, plug him etc." They want info good or bad (for you) about what happened.. He (the instructor) said if you carry a gun, carry a cell phone! Your second call should be to your Lawyer.(he gave us a wallet card with a Criminal lawyer on it) Also leaving a message on an answering machine ISN'T lawyer client information.. Tell them (lawyer or machine) your name, that you've been in an "incedent" and you need his help. Leave your home and cell #. He will find you. Anyting you say wether or not your arrested CAN be used against you.. Tell them your to upset to talk much, but you need to talk to your lawyer, don't consent to a personal search. If they do search you to put you in the squad car again tell them "nicely" your not consenting to the search but won't resist to their search..
In Minnesota for it to be self-defence it must:
1. Reasonably in immediate fear of death or great bodily harm.
2. No lesser force will do.
3. Retreat is not practical.
4.You are a reluctant participant.
You don't want to say ANYTHING that maybe twisted or misunderstood to be anything else! Watch what you, and anyone AT HOME says to the police.. GET YOUR LAWYER to do as much talking for you.
Sorry for being so long winded!
CraigJS

·
Registered
427 Posts
One of the things I really like about this forum is that the folks here constantly prod my memory on things I need to do. My lawyer is a hunter and is a conservative/pro-gun kind of guy, but I don't believe he's a CCWer. I've never thought to approach him about the subject of what to do if involved in a defense shooting. Thanks...gotta go make a call.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a local attorney on a retainer, but he is now the district attorney so I need to find a new one. Thanks for jogging my memory on that.

·
Registered
294 Posts
"He shot at me with that gun from the position where he fell when shot back. It was witnessed by that man who just started his car and the person driving that car that's heading for the parking lot exit and is being followed by the truck that was behind me when he fired"

Dingle1911 said:
3. I want a lawyer.
lets two witnesses and a piece of evidence get away.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Perhaps they saw it, perhaps they didn't... Perhaps they saw it differently than it really happened. Perhaps you may say too much while the adrenaline is flowing. Perhaps you regret it later!! Perhaps you NEED a lawyer?
CraigJS

·
Registered
210 Posts
And always carry a cell phone! Call #1. 911, call #2. your lawyer, then comply with the cops instructions when they get there, say as little as possible!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
WHY?
remember the words "anything you say can be used against you".
it's the "ANYTHING" part.

Example: I thought he was going to shoot me.
You just thought it? You weren't sure? How unsure were you?
It gets to be like that.

AFS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts