Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Christmas is coming and I have a Ohio CCW permit that is on computers, data available for all law-enforcement officers who might stop me and check my license. I prepare to drive the CCW I-75 gauntlet between Ohio and Georgia, hoping that I do not get stopped by or pestered by cops, especially by those few folks who are leery of armed civilians, possibly cutting into their territory and looking for fame and glory. :santaclaus:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Made that same trip last year. You should be okay. If all you have is an Ohio permit, remember to remove your CCW from your body, and put it in the glove compartment when you get to Georgia.

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
Watch the rest areas...:yup:

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Drive safely and obey the speed limits. If you don't give them a reason to stop you they won't.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Christmas is coming and I have a Ohio CCW permit that is on computers, data available for all law-enforcement officers who might stop me and check my license. I prepare to drive the CCW I-75 gauntlet between Ohio and Georgia, hoping that I do not get stopped by or pestered by cops, especially by those few folks who are leery of armed civilians, possibly cutting into their territory and looking for fame and glory. :santaclaus:
I wouldn't worry too much about the Ga. officers. They've been good to me when I've been stopped. In fact, in late '05 I was stopped on I-75 by a county officer. He said it looked like I was swerving. All went well and after a short conversation about registering the firearms I had brought with me from Jersey and my occupation (I did a lot of traveling) he informed me that it was legal to have an exposed, loaded, C&L hangun with me in the car while on the road. I was truly surprised to find an officer letting that cat out of the bag. Shortly after that I was stopped in a small town called Willacoochee. I had my USP exposed, loaded and C&L on the passenger seat. I showed the officer (without touching it of course) and he didn't raise an eyebrow. In my experience with the officers here, it doesn't make them flinch one way or the other. I even got a ride from an on-duty officer and after declaring that I was armed he told me thanks for telling him but it wasn't a problem.
Have a safe trip.

Sam.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned about anywhere but the city of Atlanta. I make the trip down 75 at least a few times a year. Its no big deal... and I do drive fast.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I drive it quite a bit. Obey the laws and you stand a very low chance of being stopped. Remember, there is no GA reciprocity for OH permits.
oldogy

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'll be making the same trip come the first of the year. But with my MI permit I'm good in all the states :)

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
You might consider applying for a PA non-res permit, which would make you good to go in Georgia. Apply to Centre County, PA and you should have the permit before Christmas. They have been taking a week to 10 days or so. here is the link:

Centre County Government: Sheriff: License to Carry Firearm Application

Have a safe trip.:wave:
Being new to this I am surprised at how easy it is to get one, but also glad! Not only does it add a state but as mentioned if for some reason my renewal for my Texas CHL becomes an issue the PA was is good here.

Got to ask are there other states out there that are this simple?

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some CCW holders are perceived as being eager wannabe cops, wanting to help police people, getting involved by invading their territory for fame and glory, making police people leery of them, always on patrol and looking for trouble and an excuse to shoot, etc. Just random make-believe thoughts and possible scenarios and imagination on my part...and that of media people who already have their stories written, waiting to get the facts to fit their opinions about nuts with guns.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Being new to this I am surprised at how easy it is to get one, but also glad! Not only does it add a state but as mentioned if for some reason my renewal for my Texas CHL becomes an issue the PA was is good here.

Got to ask are there other states out there that are this simple?

GA is easy but no non resident permits.....

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Unreal!

From Hangunlaw.us

It is simple to get a PA Non-Resident Permit/License. You can do it all by mail. Just click on CCW
Application at the top right of this page and print out the application. Then:
Completed and Signed Application must be accompanied by the following:
1. A photo copy of a license to carry a firearm (concealed carry permit) from your home state if that state has a concealed carry law.
2. A photo copy of your Driver's License.
3. A self addressed stamped envelope.
4. $26.00 fee for five year license and out of state processing. (Check/money order made out to
Centre County Sheriff.)
Mail to:
Centre County Sheriff's Office
213 East High Street1
Bellefonte, PA16823
Note: You have to have a permit from your home state if your home state issue permits. Unless you are
from Illinois, Vermont or Wisconsin you have to have a permit from your home state. If your state is too
restrictive and won’t issue you a permit you can not obtain a Non-Resident Pennsylvania Permit/License.
That one will be going out today.

CO gets me 28. CO + PA should get me 31 states, 33 if my NV non res comes through, and 35 if I go for FL or UT - 36 with both.

Gods, I feel like it's a collecting hobby. I'll have to keep a separate wallet for the permits.

I can see the out of state traffic stop now. "Just a minute officer, I know I'm legal, I just need to find the right card...I know it's in here (shuffle shuffle shuffle)...Ah, here we go."

Do In-Laws qualify as family members? The only other people I know/see on a regular bases are co-workers, and they (co-workers) really do not need to know or be contacted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts