Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks:

My better half and I will be taking a trip up to the Smokies in Tennessee this labor day weekend and need some help.

I will not be actually staying in any state other than TN, but will be traveling through GA, SC, NC and I want to make sure I am ok. I have my Florida license.

Can I just keep my firearm in my in IWB the whole time, or am I in trouble in my car with the firearm in my holster? What about stopping for gas or food? I know these states recognize my Florida license, but I don't know all of the laws so just hoping for some tips so I can stay legal as I drive through these states.

Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Drove and stayed in Memphis for one day. No problems, didn't see anyplace posted. I was told local parks (I'm guessing city/county parks) are a no go, but State Parks are okay; however, verify this as I am no 100%.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GunnyBunny:

I am well aware of that website. unfortunately some of the information is a little confusing. For example, in the Georgia page, there is a section for carrying in a car without a license, but not with a license. so I hoping to get the cliff notes from those who live in those states. I just want to make sure that while driving through I carry my weapon in such a way that I am legal.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
TN, and Georgia are fine with your permit. In TN we are still fighting over parks carry, so some cities are "opting out" and posting. It's town by town. Restaurants are not 100% yet either, but unless you see a proper posting, referring to the statute you're good to go.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If stopped by an LEO in NC, you're required to notify him that you have a concealed firearm in the car.

Tell the LEO that you have a Florida CC permit FIRST, then advise him you have a concealed firearm in the car.

Do NOT present the permit OR the gun to the officer, unless instructed to do so.

·
Registered
602 Posts
At the present time the Great Smoky Mts Natl Park is still a no no for concealed carry........:aargh4::aargh4:

·
Registered
541 Posts
an in TN you dont have to inform LEO that your carring, but I would just BC its the smart thing to do. TN is also an Open carry state. doesnt matter if CC or OC.

Enjoy the mtns,

·
Registered
80 Posts
In SC, while traveling, you can keep your weapon concealed on you if you have a permit, or either in a closed glove compartment, center console, or trunk without a permit. Restaurants that serve alcohol are off limits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
FL to TN Trip

I had much the same question several years ago. So I made up the attached map ... See attached .jpg for USA "General" Guidelines.

C= Concealed Carry : O = Open Carry C-O = Concealed or Open Carry C-O = ( with the "C" UNDERLINED means conceled prefered)

Red States are generally the NO States ( For Tennessee Permit Holders )

if passing thru SOME RED States you may Unload and/or Lock Up your weapon ( see RED box for absolute NO States/Cities )

Red State L = Locked in Boot : U-L = Unloaded & Locked in Boot

bea in mind this map hasn't been updatye in about a year ( rules change all the time).

Bottom Line: Thanks for Vacationing in our state. You should be good from Florida to Tennessee as long as your Primarily "Conceled

Hope this helps.....

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tiberwolf:

Thanks that is helpful.

rmodel65, I have read the Public gathering section and don't understand how rest stops fall into this category. Is there a specific section that applies to rest stops?

·
Registered
934 Posts
because of the government building a PG is anywhere the public gathers for a specific event ie govt buildings :p

and case laws says anywhere withine 200yards is also a public gathering of the actual event fwiw. so gas stations it is
:aargh4:

govt building in state parks are legal to carry in though

·
Registered
4 Posts
Florida has reciprocal agreements with all of those states so you should be good to go. Have a great trip and a safe holiday . These states may have some other rules governing where you can carry so check first to avoid a problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts