Defensive Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With every offense, a defense is created shortly after. Soon, might every Law enforcement vehicle have one mounted inside? How long before these Anti-drone guns are available to civilians?

Drones are amazing & when employed for good they create art to scientific discovery. I have mixed issues and even a slight angst about drones. (Not paranoia) I would consider a defensive weapon against drones if available and affordable. There is a possibility of drones being used for evil on American soil by a foreign adversary. Even the everyday American civilian criminal, Law enforcement and press. (Not fixated on terrorists but included on the list. Again not paranoia, just an ever evolving matter to contend with in our modern times.)

If affordable would you add one of these anti-drone weapons to your defensive arsenal?

Five ways to stop a drone.

Five ways to stop a drone | On Air Videos | Fox News

·
Banned
894 Posts
I am actually more concerned about the neighbors teenage boy and his camera drone than terrorists.
Most of the techniques they show would put the citizen in jail.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mmmm, my 12ga would work, but that would land me in jail.
Yes, and then you have to contend with laws which pertain to them. You shoot one out of the air, not on your property then you are liable and even in some cases have to replace it. Does not matter that it was recording your wife while sunbathing my your pool inside your privacy fence or just recording your backdoor and what's inside your windows.

Reactions: Struckat

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
With every offense, a defense is created shortly after. Soon, might every Law enforcement vehicle have one mounted inside? How long before these Anti-drone guns are available to civilians?

Drone are amazing & when employed for good they create art to scientific discovery. I have mixed issues and even a slight angst about drones. (Not paranoia) I would consider a defensive weapon against drones if available and affordable. There is a possibility of drones being used for evil on American soil by foreign advisarys. Even the everyday American civilian criminal, Law enforcement and press.

If affordable would you add one of these anti-drone weapons to your defensive arsinal?

Five ways to stop a drone.

Five ways to stop a drone | On Air Videos | Fox News
Some anti-drone systems are available for civilian use. There are several fairly inexpensive ways to detect the presence of a drone. Sensors are one way. Defending against one with a weapon might present more of a problem for civilian use depending on the airspace where the drone is flying.

Defending against a drone would not be a high priority for me. Flying a drone is not really as easy as it looks. Most have a fairly short range (though even a toy drones range can be extended some with larger antenas). The biggest problem I have flying is wind. Once you get to a sizable enough drone to carry even a 1-2 lb payload, the cost starts getting pretty expensive for the average hobbyist.

Until I start seeing Amazon delivering packages or Domino's delivering pizza with drones in rural areas like where I live, I have no plans for a defense besides a shotgun, if needed.

BTY, that is what some sensitive infrastructures like certain nuke plants are defending with or planning to use.

The Anti-Drone Business Is About to Take Off

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Registered
817 Posts
A simple radar or infrared-based system with a 1+ watt solid-state laser will render most small drones inoperable easily, by simply destroying their cameras. As you get to 10W you can start talking about physically destroying them. A 1W laser is easy and pretty available. Heck, a 100mW laser will take out most cameras easily.

·
Registered
13,187 Posts
I attended a public information presentation on drones and drone law at the U. of Richmond. Unfortunately, the legalities have not really kept pace with the technology in terms of protecting privacy. In fact, they have gone the other way.

Unfortunately, you do not own the airspace above your property, except in very limited circumstances, of which this is not one. As long as the drone does not actually touch your property or buildings on it, there is no trespass. The FAA has issued a memorandum that it considers any interference with a drone "Aircraft Sabotage" under 18 U.S.C. 32 and it intends to prosecute offenders. I don't like that reality, but there it is. Your legal remedy for being harassed by drones is to call the police, and/or find the owner and file suit, which is lame.

Having said all that, I think the idea of devices to take down drones is way cool. There is a variation to the net gun shown in the video. There is a vid on YouTube where two guys mounted a net gun on a fixed wing R/C aircraft. The net gun was aimed in sync with a forward looking, streaming camera with crosshairs on the control screen. Basically, it's an interceptor. You can swoop in on a drone, get it in the crosshairs and when the drone fills a certain portion of the screen, you fire the net by remote control and then veer off to avoid collision. I want one!

·
Registered
617 Posts
The man in KY, who shot down the drone for spying on his sunbathing daughter, was cleared about a year back. The judge called it harassment and threw out the charges. Good for him.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My nephew had a very nice drone for aerial shots for his photography business. He "lost" it when somebody high jacked it with a stronger signal and flew it out of sight across an open meadow. According to the pros this wasn't an isolated incident. You just need to get a powerful controller that will scan frequencies and use it to take control of any drone.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I remember seeing frequency scramblers marketed for jamming cellphone signals. Can't imagine it would be that much harder to do with radio control signals for drones.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I attended a public information presentation on drones and drone law at the U. of Richmond. Unfortunately, the legalities have not really kept pace with the technology in terms of protecting privacy. In fact, they have gone the other way. Unfortunately, you do not own the airspace above your property, except in very limited circumstances, of which this is not one. As long as the drone does not actually touch your property or buildings on it, there is no trespass. The FAA has issued a memorandum that it considers any interference with a drone "Aircraft Sabotage" under 18 U.S.C. 32 and it intends to prosecute offenders. I don't like that reality, but there it is. Your legal remedy for being harassed by drones is to call the police, and/or find the owner and file suit, which is lame.
Not necessarily perhaps you need a more aggressive attorney

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Drones, good or bad? This is going to be next huge issue as they are growing popular at a faster rate than cell phones in the early 90's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts