Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking to see if I missed anything in checking/inspecting a dropped, loaded, 15 round Glock magazine to a concrete floor from about 5'.

"racked" slide to remove round in the "pipe" and rendered weapon safe.

visually inspected exterior of magazine and floor plate noting only small minor dirt smudge at point of impact.

clean dirt off by removing same.

used thumb to manually unload/reload magazine twice and inspect each round for anything out of ordinary.

Did not remove floorplate, but inspect follower/spring assembly for dirt/lint/"junk" with none noted.

Cycle magazine in/out of mag well twice with nothing unusual detected.

Just double checking as I am not a "gunsmith"...but ...not completely "Glock illiterate" either. Your thoughts are appreciated

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
That's about it if nothing is dammaged......you might want to check the follower area for burrs from the fall and when you have a chance take the mag apart to to be on the safe side as this is your carry...obviously. Id'd look at my round casings also.....when your life is at stake, take no chances....IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I've dropped more Glock mags doing mag changes in practice/classes than I care to count. Glock mags are pretty hearty. I always give 'em a quick visual inspection but, for the most part, you aren't going to do anything to them dropping them from 'working' heights.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
It's fine...take it out to the range and shoot it.

Reactions: TX expat

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I've dropped more Glock mags doing mag changes in practice/classes than I care to count. Glock mags are pretty hearty. I always give 'em a quick visual inspection but, for the most part, you aren't going to do anything to them dropping them from 'working' heights.
I'll second this. They are pretty darn tough.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
It "should" be just fine. As others have state, lots of Glock mags hit the deck during training. With that said, I don't carry my training mags.

My carry mags are initially checked for function with an occasions "dynamic unloading" at the range but, they NEVER hit the ground. I won't take the chance of a compromised magazine when I may need it the most.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
From a Glock torture test I saw, IIRC, the magazine was dropped from 1000 feet, and it caused misfeeds in impact side of magazine. 5', I wouldn't worry after 2-3 mags fired with no issue

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Glock mags are extremely tough. They should be fine. Just keep an eye on that one for a while to make sure it functions OK, then just carry on.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
This, ladies and gents, is why you carry a spare mag....

Reactions: GH

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just remember,

They are pretty much made to be thrown to the ground and another one jammed in during a firefight. Trainer I had actually would get a little frustrated with us if we babied the mags.

·
Registered
491 Posts
FWIW, I've dropped a few mags into the dirt/gravel during practice or training and never had a subsequent failure of any kind. However, I never drop or use dropped mags in my carry gun. I can tell "who's who" because my carry mags have a white dot on the base plate that I made on each one of them. I never use them for training.

Probably not necessary but just like annual spring kit changes it makes me feel better. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just remember,

They are pretty much made to be thrown to the ground and another one jammed in during a firefight. Trainer I had actually would get a little frustrated with us if we babied the mags.
I second this. I've trained at Front Sight in Nevada and its brutal the type of abuse your mags to go through while practicing full speed type 3 malfunctions. Wipe those puppies off, they'll be fine.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Have "training" mags for training and "carry" mags for carry...Carry one or more spare mags WITH you...Just my two cents worth...

Reactions: CJ_mp40c

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
If there or no cracks or deformations visible you have no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
The ones we have in the academy are dropped on the concrete floor all the time. When practicing clearing a double feed malfuntion, they are stripped out and thrown down. They are all fine and the guns are at least 3 years old with at least 4 academy classes a year.
Dropping a personal mag now and then wouldn't bother me

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, appreciate all the "insights". Gun is new with just over a 100 rounds thru it and the mag was fine today at range. am eventually going to invest in "carry" mags and downgrade current ones to "training" ...BUT... not now at about $50+ each....all this current "stupidity" will calm down someday (sigh) I'll just wait it out for now...Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts