Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
21,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
America’s doctors are recommending cops, firefighters and the general public be trained to use a highly effective and simple technique to stop bleeding caused by bullet wounds and other injuries — a method widely credited with saving lives on both battlefields and city streets.

The decision by the American Medical Association comes days after a gunman opened fire in an Orlando nightclub in a shooting that killed 49 people. Among the survivors was a bartender whose bleeding was largely stanched by a nursing student using an old method that’s gained new attention: a tourniquet.

See link for remainder of article.

https://mymedic.us/blogs/journal/doctors-urge-americans-to-learn-tourniquet-use

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

·
Registered
859 Posts
You would think that they would be training officers on this an issuing them out to every officer. No they would rather issue out a drug to save the lives of users.

·
Registered
606 Posts
This is the one I carry daily: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OCX1D8Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2JGBGSSSFQHE0&coliid=I23S32C1LHM2TV&psc=1

I have different TQs for serious work but the R.A.T.S. is portable enough to always have with me in the civilian world.
Are their tests out their showing this tq effectiveness? Seems way too thin

We are much more likely to need medical skills than we are a firearm yet a majority of ccw holders don't bother with it. Learning how to apply tq to yourself and others can literally save a life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are their tests out their showing this tq effectiveness? Seems way too thin

We are much more likely to need medical skills than we are a firearm yet a majority of ccw holders don't bother with it. Learning how to apply tq to yourself and others can literally save a life.

Yes, the RATSdidn't do well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27045491

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

·
Registered
776 Posts
It has to be applied properly - less forgiving than a more traditional battle TQ. I consider it a short term emergency TQ for city/urban scenarios.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I have C.A.T.S in my truck. But I went out and double checked the rest of my first aid kit.

It looks like the R.A.T.S. is pretty good but "maybe" not quite as good? I'd like to hear from first responders that have used both.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've used CATS and SOF-T in the field, have not used the RATS in the real world yet. Former WEMT, current WFR, old retired fart now.

I carry both a CATS and SOF-T wide in my vehicle kit, the RATS is for pocket carry.

The RATS takes some practice to self administer on an arm. Not a good choice if wearing a lot of gear or otherwise encumbered. I also would not choose it for remote scenarios where one may be some time/distance from accessible EMS. But when I'm out to dinner, goin' to the symphony or walkin' the dog I have a RATS in my pocket.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I have both the rats and cat TQ. My concern was how well the cat windlass would hold up in cold conditions stored in the truck during winter months.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I have C.A.T.S in my truck. But I went out and double checked the rest of my first aid kit.

It looks like the R.A.T.S. is pretty good but "maybe" not quite as good? I'd like to hear from first responders that have used both.
There aren't going to be any ems agencies using rats tourniquets. It's big selling point is size and that's not an issue for ems where they have a huge trauma bag.

Plus it appears they don't do well. We use CAT tourniquets and our ambulance service does as well.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I keep CAT tourniquets all over the place. Multiple in the truck, pretty much one in any bag I carry regularly/travel with, usually one on my person, one on all of my first aid kits.

Based on my experiences, they are quite effective. Sure, direct pressure and pressure points can be too, but those often tie up the hands, when a tourniquet allows stopping the blood flow and moving on to other tasks.

Overseas, it was pretty common to carry 3.

Reactions: JD

·
Registered
13 Posts
I edc a soft-tw in a phlster flatpack carrier at about 4:00. Discreet, lightweight, but heavyduty. No need to compromise with the RATS when you have that option. Highly recommended

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
I use CAT tourniquets as well.

Reactions: JD
1 - 17 of 17 Posts