Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard this story last night from one of the officers involved. I am also posting a link to the newspaper report. It all went down less than two blocks away from my home.

Wednesday afternoon the police in our small town got a call from the manager of the local Safeway store reporting that a subject was trying car doors in the parking lot. A couple of minutes later they got another call saying that the subject was now inside one of the cars, rummaging through the glove box. Several police units were responding.

As the first police car arrived, the subject ran from the parking lot, across a busy 4 lane street and headed off behind a drug store into a field that eventually leads to a trailer park known to be occupied by meth heads and other assorted lowlifes.

An undercover member of the PD's drug unit happened to be in the parking lot fo the drug store when the subject ran by. That officer immediately gave chase and soon came within grabbing distance of the subject. That is when the subject wheeled around, and aimed a gun directly at the officer. That officer said that his training immediately kicked in. He deflected the suspects gun hand with his left hand while he used his right elbow to deliver a hard blow to the suspect's head.

The head blow didn't phase the subject, as he was so stoned on meth that he was feeling no pain at all. At this point two more officers had joined the fight. It took the 3 officers over 4 minutes of fighting to get the subject to drop the gun and to take him down and handcuff him. During the fight, as the subject fought for control of the gun, one of the officers had his gun pointed directly at the subject's head. The only reason the officer didn't fire what almost certainly would have been a fatal shot, is that he didn't have a clear shot - the danger of him hitting another officer was too great.

It wasn't until the situation was under control and they went to secure the suspect's gun that they discovered that it was a realistic looking BB gun.

Lesson to be learned from this? Well I learned that there is a den of meth users way too close to my house. :(

Centralia officer facing gun-wielding man goes hands-on « Lewis County Sirens.com

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
God bless those officers. That could've been a far different outcome. Is there any doubt there's a war going on and they are our infantry...

Reactions: baren and paulinsf

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
How many meth users does it take to make a den?

Reactions: paulinsf

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Meth heads who are "high" with a gun ..... shoot, change mags, shoot again.

Well, good they got the guy. Surprised the first officer didn't drop him when he saw the gun. Guess it was a good day for the BG... afterall.

I have a BB handgun that looks just like a normal .45 cal 1911. No way I would pull it out with an officer around. I had someone doing some vandalism and called the police.... when I opened the door it was sitting right there, and I immediately told him BB gun --- squirrels. We have a lot of destructive ninja squirrels around here. It wouldn't have mattered as no one was going to be picking it up , but I said it when I saw the look on his face and expression of "oh ... " . He asked to see it and I told him sure ... go ahead. I didn't grab it to hand it to him, he could reach in right there and grab it. He said he liked it and commented at how much it looked exactly like an actual .45 cal. He took a few shots at the tree out there to see how well it worked. They do look just like a 1911-.45, even the slide release is the same idea / design. There is also one that looks just like a Ruger Mark I / II / III, and I'm sure there are probably others.

But what kind of idiot does it take, to pull one out on a officer, who has a real gun. That in itself deserves a Darwin award.

Reactions: baren and paulinsf

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surprised the first officer didn't drop him when he saw the gun. Guess it was a good day for the BG... afterall..
My understanding is that they were too close together. Officer's gun was still in his holster, all of a sudden BG turns and he has a gun and it is inches away from officer's face.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
My understanding is that they were too close together. Officer's gun was still in his holster, all of a sudden BG turns and he has a gun and it is inches away from officer's face.
If they are that close, there are techniques for that. .... he either didn't know them, or decided not to use them. I don't think it's wise for more then one officer fighting someone for their gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts