Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the impending doom of our ammo supply and no “re-supply” in sight, I’m thinking of investing in a dry fire software. I’ve been dry firing for years now and have scaled targets in my man cave to practice with but have seen several different softwares lately. I listen periodically to the concealed carry podcast and they use lasr-x. Anyone try that? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,202 Posts
There is always the pencil technique. It is not fun, but it is incredibly effective.

I'm glad you started the thread, though. I am interested in the same thing because I think it would be fun and good training.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There are a number of options when it comes to smartphone or tablet apps. I use a G-Sight laser cartridge with their accompanying smartphone app, a tripod for my phone to aim the camera, and a paper target on the wall. It works reasonably well but don't expect pinpoint accuracy with every shot, the laser point of aim tends to wander a bit.

·
Premium Member
5,545 Posts
There is the low tech solution I've used for decades. Squeeze the trigger and concentrate on the front sight. Most right handed shooters will see a circular movement. Eliminate the movement and on range accuracy will increase significantly.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is the low tech solution I've used for decades. Squeeze the trigger and concentrate on the front sight. Most right handed shooters will see a circular movement. Eliminate the movement and on range accuracy will increase significantly.
Agreed but this can only go so far. I’m thinking something like the “lasr “ or mantis system would help more than that.

·
Premium Member
5,545 Posts
Agreed but this can only go so far. I’m thinking something like the “lasr “ or mantis system would help more than that.

I would say it goes far enough. Replicates everything that happens on the range except recoil. The shooter, grip, trigger press, sight alignment are all there. Electronics are just a better mousetrap in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
This cost me $0.10 and is very effective. Balance a dime on the front sight, smooth trigger pull, keep it balanced. Doing some offhand only work here.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I use the Mantis X3 on my Glocks. Very good system and the app is updated constantly and support is outstanding.

Reactions: Mattmann

·
Registered
28 Posts
Many years ago, went to visit a friend. He filled a baking pan to about 3/4 in deep with melted wax. When it cooled, he used spent 38 shells, cut a plug from the wax, put in a new primer and we spent hours shooting wax "bullets" at various targets.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many years ago, went to visit a friend. He filled a baking pan to about 3/4 in deep with melted wax. When it cooled, he used spent 38 shells, cut a plug from the wax, put in a new primer and we spent hours shooting wax "bullets" at various targets.
The crazy thing is now days, a primer is more each than what a loaded 9mm was only a year ago lol

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
When you dry fire a gun, do you use the caps or do you just fire.

I always thought that dry firing was bad for the gun if you don't use snap caps.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts

I always thought that dry firing was bad for the gun if you don't use snap caps.
It isn’t a problem for most modern guns. I will put a foam earplug over the firing pin in a hammer fired gun, more of a noise avoidance than worrying about damage.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts

I always use caps, for the reason you stated.
I like the idea of some software - wonder if we can get the thread back to that discussion?

Reactions: Jeanlouise

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,151 Posts

Snap caps are usually preferred. It depends on the gun. I don't dryfire rimfire guns. I don't dryfire older revolvers with the firing pin on the hammer. Most modern revolvers and pistols are good for limited dryfiring. The manual will often tell you if dryfiring is possible.

Reactions: Jeanlouise

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
I've been using the Mantis-X system for a couple of months. It works well and provides lots of feedback.

Reactions: Tundra5.7

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
What else is out there besides Mantis and LasrX?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts

I just realized that my response to this, regarding getting back on track, may have sounded like I'd dissed you or something. Certainly didn't mean it to sound that way - if it did I sincerely apologize.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts