Defensive Carry banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Jeanlouise, I don’t use snap caps on my three Glock‘s. Dry firing with no snap caps will normally not damage a Center Fire pistol. I do not dry fire my rimfire 22 without using small plastic wall anchors to protect the firing pin

Reactions: Jeanlouise

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I've been using the Mantis-X system for a couple of months. It works well and provides lots of feedback.
Can you give a little more detail about the pros and cons of the Mantis? What gun(s) do you or can you use it with? I know their website could probably answer these questions but I like to hear the experiences of actual users.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Can you give a little more detail about the pros and cons of the Mantis? What gun(s) do you or can you use it with? I know their website could probably answer these questions but I like to hear the experiences of actual users.
For me, it's great because I can practice DA with a pistol for all of my shots. If you use a striker fired gun, you have to rack the slide each time you want to shoot, and load a magazine with snap caps.

The electronic "target" and resulting information on your phone or tablet gives a lot of information on where you "hit", and depending on the exercise, time to first shot, reload time, etc. Given what ammunition costs currently, you could pay for the system quickly if you are dependent on factory loaded ammunition.

Reactions: Tundra5.7

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Tundra 5.7, I am sorry for the long post but I wanted to give you the best answer to your question. I have used the Mantis X3 for about three years. The X3 allows you to do dry fire AND Iive fire. The X model allows you to do dry fire only. The Mantis device is a small accelerometer that mounts on the Picatinny rail of your pistol and communicates with Bluetooth to the Mantis app on your phone The MantisX device costs you money and you can order it from Amazon or Mantis themselves. The iPhone app and Android app are free of charge and they are updated regularly.

When I dry fire my Glocks with the MantisX device attached I put an empty magazine into the gun and I pull the slide back approximately an inch to an inch and a half only enough to cock the trigger and then I release the slide. I do not use snap caps as most modern striker fired guns will not be damaged. When I focus on the front side and press the trigger the iPhone or Android app measures the gun movement when I’m holding prior to the trigger press, the gun movement when I press the trigger and the gun movement immediately after the trigger breaks. These three movements are shown on a color-coded graph in the app. There is other data that is shown on additional graphs in the app. The app also verbally speaks a score up to a maximum of 100. Anything over 95 is considered to be the bull’s-eye with extremely little gun movement. There is also indications of when you move the gun and it will tell you how to correct for the various gun movements ie anticipating recoil, slapping or jerking the trigger, etc.

As I mentioned before the app is extremely comprehensive with full instructions included. The app is also updated at least once a month to either fix bugs or introduces new features. The email support is superior as I have sent them questions several times and they have responded within the same day.

There are also several YouTube videos explaining the Mantis X but some of those videos are quite old but it will at least give you an idea of how the system works.

Bill

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Thanks @G26Raven and @BillG174 as that is some good information to know. I'm in good shape when it comes to factory ammo, powder, primers, and bullets. However, we do not know how long the shortage and the price gouging will continue, so I'm looking at other options. I can see how a system like this could save you a lot of money over time!

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Thanks @G26Raven and @BillG174 as that is some good information to know. I'm in good shape when it comes to factory ammo, powder, primers, and bullets. However, we do not know how long this shortage and the price gouging will continue. I can see how a system like this could save you a lot of money over time!
BillG174 gave a much better explanation than I did!

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
BillG174 gave a much better explanation than I did!

Well, yes he did...lol....I listed you first since you replied first. Although your reply was indeed short, it was informative. Using the Mantis with a DA pistol would be a little easier, I'd assume.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Well, yes he did...lol....I listed you first since you replied first. Although your reply was indeed short, it was informative. Using the Mantis with a DA pistol would be a little easier, I'd assume.
Just to be clear, I do use a snap cap when dry firing a DA pistol, and Glock does recommend using snap caps. I have a good friend who is an avid shooter, and dry fires religiously, who had the striker on his Glock fail. Here's what Glock has to say about dry firing:

·
Registered
5 Posts
How do you like this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a big fan. My groups have gotten a lot tighter with some practice than they were before I was using it on a daily basis. Best part, the laser cartridge was about $35 and the app is free. The app let's you shoot a 10 round group and has an area set designated to shoot to reset the app. I probably put 100 or so shots through it per day

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I will now start using snap caps when dry firing my Glocks. A long time ago I always used snap caps and I thought you had to rack the slide all the way back to eject the snap cap in order to re-cock the trigger. I quit using snap caps because I was tired of the caps ejecting onto the floor and me having to find and reload them into the magazine. Then as I mention in my previous post I discovered you only have to pull the slide back slightly maybe an inch or so to re-cock the trigger - that's when I stopped using the snap caps. I just tried with a snap cap chambered - I only have to pull the slide slightly back with the cap chambered to re-cock the trigger and the cap doesn't eject. I will start using a snap cap now when I dry fire to be 100% safe against possible damage to the gun.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts