Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since a lot of us are stuck at home during the Coronavirus self quarantine and unable to visit our local ranges, I have been practicing my dry firing during the day. To make things a little more enjoyable I practice by aiming at my TV whenever NY Governor Cuomo or NYC Mayor Deblowzio gives a press conference. I also turn the volume off so I don't have to listen to their constant droning.---Sturgis

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've been doing some dry fire, but I have dedicated more of my time to learning new things. I learning how to cook something more complicated than a steak or ramen, the basics of emergency medicine (beyond hemorrhage control), and the basics of land navigation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I live out in a rural area, and could get away with setting up a small personal shooting lane. Some folks have done so, at least, that's what it sounds like, but I prefer to not point any firearms in the direction of my neighbor's. They are far enough away, to legally shoot, I just prefer to be overly cautious and neighborly, by not pointing, firing, in their direction.
I do, set up targets, and use a blowback airsoft pistol, to work on fundamentals, since my preferred range closed, a few months ago. The current range, in town, didn't make a great impression, not allowing people to use their own targets. I have hundreds of targets, and have to buy targets from them, every time I shoot. The first time I went there, they had no silhouette targets, but wouldn't allow me to use my own. They at least have them, now, though. Still, I dry fire, five good trigger pulls with my pistol, and five good trigger pulls with my rifle, every night before going to bed. It's not just a COVID-19 Shelter at Home thing.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Did a lot of TV dry fire the past few weeks too.

Anyone in red or blue shirts, COM. Anyone in glasses, headshot.

Good way to pass the time. Be safe!

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Been dry-firing a long time because range rules prevent me from doing the drills I like to do. I use Laserlyte cartridges. Got 2 of the reactive targets, but rarely use them anymore.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Been dry-firing a long time because range rules prevent me from doing the drills I like to do. I use Laserlyte cartridges. Got 2 of the reactive targets, but rarely use them anymore.
I've got a range out back and I still practice with my Laserlyte cartridges. They're a handy little gadget.

·
Super Moderator
19,238 Posts
Since a lot of us are stuck at home during the Coronavirus self quarantine and unable to visit our local ranges, I have been practicing my dry firing during the day. To make things a little more enjoyable I practice by aiming at my TV whenever NY Governor Cuomo or NYC Mayor Deblowzio gives a press conference. I also turn the volume off so I don't have to listen to their constant droning.---Sturgis
If you space 2 TVs about 4 yards apart and at different distances, you'll have a great setup for working on your transitions!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I do a few dry fire sessions a week, all the time. Usually seeking perfection for dry fire. A plus sign drawn on an index card with a sharpie and tape to the wall, aim for the intersection. Or pencil drill.

For practical stuff like drawing and firing, transitions and such I use my Glock 19 bb pistol in the backyard. It is great for that ind of stuff.

Fun is air pistol silhoulette and 10 meter air pistol in the backyard. I will probably buy a 10 meter air rifle at some point as well.

These aren't Corona activities. I do it regularly because I like it and regardless of how often I go to the range. Or how often I don't go during this recent unpleasantness.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I have about 5 hours of conference calls tomorrow... this is extremely tempting! The iTarget is about 5 yards across the room. :)
You're not alone...I think the higher ups thinks it's a way to ensure those of us placed on telework are working...."virtual mtgs" complete with slides and desktop chat.

It's the next best thing to being there.

I think I'll do the same, I just cleaned my match pistol so the least I can do is dry-fire during my 1400 DCS session.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
You're not alone...I think the higher ups thinks it's a way to ensure those of us placed on telework are working...."virtual mtgs" complete with slides and desktop chat.

It's the next best thing to being there.

I think I'll do the same, I just cleaned my match pistol so the least I can do is dry-fire during my 1400 DCS session.
Mea culpa, I'm the higher up driving this one. We hold a weeklong orientation for new leaders in my career field every year at the Pentagon. It helps new squadron commanders, CMSgt's, and MAJCOM/COCOM/Component Directors prepare for their key roles and get to know the people on the other end of the phone. For obvious reasons we cancelled the in-person conference, but many wanted the info anyway. So I directed my staff to distro the full set of orientation info and offer talking through it on WebEx. Many recipients said they wanted it by teleconference if possible, so that's what we're offering (not directed) and about 3/4 of the newbies joined in today. We compressed 3 days into 2 five hour web meetings of about 50 people. One more day to go.

So today I practiced drawing from seated and presenting left and right. I was only unmuted once while cycling the chamber. A few recognized it and laughed.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Laser training cartridge and iTarget app. You can make your own cell phone mount and target holder easily enough. I've been looki8ng for mine lately. Haven't seen it since a trip in July.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts