Defensive Carry banner

Dry Firing During the Coronavirus Quarantine

1K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  patkelly4370 
#1 ·
Since a lot of us are stuck at home during the Coronavirus self quarantine and unable to visit our local ranges, I have been practicing my dry firing during the day. To make things a little more enjoyable I practice by aiming at my TV whenever NY Governor Cuomo or NYC Mayor Deblowzio gives a press conference. I also turn the volume off so I don't have to listen to their constant droning.---Sturgis

#9 ·
I live out in a rural area, and could get away with setting up a small personal shooting lane. Some folks have done so, at least, that's what it sounds like, but I prefer to not point any firearms in the direction of my neighbor's. They are far enough away, to legally shoot, I just prefer to be overly cautious and neighborly, by not pointing, firing, in their direction.
I do, set up targets, and use a blowback airsoft pistol, to work on fundamentals, since my preferred range closed, a few months ago. The current range, in town, didn't make a great impression, not allowing people to use their own targets. I have hundreds of targets, and have to buy targets from them, every time I shoot. The first time I went there, they had no silhouette targets, but wouldn't allow me to use my own. They at least have them, now, though. Still, I dry fire, five good trigger pulls with my pistol, and five good trigger pulls with my rifle, every night before going to bed. It's not just a COVID-19 Shelter at Home thing.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I do a few dry fire sessions a week, all the time. Usually seeking perfection for dry fire. A plus sign drawn on an index card with a sharpie and tape to the wall, aim for the intersection. Or pencil drill.

For practical stuff like drawing and firing, transitions and such I use my Glock 19 bb pistol in the backyard. It is great for that ind of stuff.

Fun is air pistol silhoulette and 10 meter air pistol in the backyard. I will probably buy a 10 meter air rifle at some point as well.

These aren't Corona activities. I do it regularly because I like it and regardless of how often I go to the range. Or how often I don't go during this recent unpleasantness.

#22 ·
Since before COVID, I decided to make my dry fire practice more consistent. For a long time, I had been dry firing, at least twice a week, with my pistol, but in February, I decided to add my rifle to it, as well as make it a nightly commitment.
Over the last three months, I have to say, my average score with my duty rifle (Mini-14) has gone up from 119/125 to 123/125. My arc of wobble has gotten smaller, and split times are quicker (I don't time my splits, but I'm shooting 30-45-60 seconds five round strings, in about 4-5 seconds, where previously, I was shooting them in about 8-9 seconds. That includes cycling a round from the duty carry condition.)

#24 ·
I have the itarget, like someone else mentioned. The only caution I would give for lasers, is the training scar of looking where your shot hits. itarget, records where your shot "hits". If you just have a laser, without the ability to memorialize shot placement, you are training yourself to take your eyes off your sights, and look, after every shot breaks. Lack of follow through, can be just as bad as anticipation for missed shots. Remember, every shot ends, with a follow-up sight picture, and trigger reset.

#25 ·
Many, many decades ago, I had a high school biology instructor who had his own hunting cabin. It was still close enough to civilization he could get TV reception, black and white, through a rabbit ear antenna, of course. In the evenings, he would drink beer and dry fire a .45 at the TV screen.

You guessed it. One night he did not clear the pistol. It made quite a mess out of the TV!

#27 ·

The gun is irrelevant to the post but it’s the only pic I have of the target. I have 6 of those on the inside of my garage door in my man cave and some small “plates” that I dry fire with for 3-gun and IDPA. Got them with Ben Stoegers book. I have seen them pay off big time when I am disciplined using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.