Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In todays Front Sight newsletter, Dr. Piazza said that its okay to practice in your home and dry fire modern firearms with free floating fireing pins. Goes against everything I was ever taught. Here is the link, read it for yourself.

Front Sight

I trust Dr. Piazza, been to Front Sight and love it. Dr. Piazza actually wanted me to move to NV and work for him. However, I think I will still use Snap Caps.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
About the only thing in modern guns you should not dry fire is the shotgun.

Pistols and revolvers should be fine. As a matter of fact, a significant part of your training should be dry fire practice.

I don't use snap caps and have never had any problems. Thousands of dry fire trigger pulls and all my guns still go bang with complete reliability.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Pistols and revolvers should be fine. As a matter of fact, a significant part of your training should be dry fire practice.
+1 I agree with this as well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
About the only thing in modern guns you should not dry fire is the shotgun.
Uhm . . . I hate to disagree . . . but, your statement is correct if you are only considering centerfire ammunition. Dry firing is a good way to screw up your rimfire pistol.

Reg

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Damn... I knew I was forgetting something! Yeah, I only have one rimfire and I just shoot it with live ammo.

Sorry about the incomplete statement.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
the Kel-Tec pistols should NOT be dry fired without a snap cap. They are also "modern pistols".

Be careful of advise from "expert sources".

surv

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
That's how you practice...never been a problem for me.:smoke23:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just dont dry fire the SR9 with out a clip in it....ewwww

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dont get my wrong, I dry fire all the time. I know its the one of the best ways and most inexpensive ways to practice. But I was always taught and teach that its best to use snap caps. They even taught that at Front Sight. That is why I was taken back by this.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I hope it's OK... if not I'm gonna have to buy some new SD guns.... think the Mrs. will buy that one?

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I use snap caps for dry fire practice for my autos. While I agree most modern weapons should fair pretty well. I would rather not take the chance, plus I can practice TRB drills and others with the dummy rounds.

·
Administrator
143,825 Posts
My guns have been dry fired thousands of times.
Yes, it really IS OK to not use snap-caps.
Colt, S&W, Glock, Ruger, SIG, HK,...etc.
Go for it.
Most rimfire firearms should not be dry fired. Some rimfire are actually OK to dry fire. You need to read the manual or call and ask the maker.
The Kel-Tec pistols should not be dry-fired.

·
Registered
830 Posts
My guns have been dry fired thousands of times.
Yes, it really IS OK to not use snap-caps.
Colt, S&W, Glock, Ruger, SIG, HK,...etc.
Go for it.
Most rimfire firearms should not be dry fired. Some rimfire are actually OK to dry fire. You need to read the manual or call and ask the maker.
The Kel-Tec pistols should not be dry-fired.
on the ruger auto's check the owner's manual a few of the newer ones have that stupid magazine disconnect safety. I know my p345 has it and i've read things where even dry fireing w/ the mag per user manual instructions still messed up the gun. easier to juts take out the little piece that does it and its good to go. the mark III has magazine disconnect as well :(

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I'll let students dry fire a few times in class in a safe direction, but when I spend time honing trigger skill, I use snap caps or ammo safe. I have students load each other's mags by hiding a snap cap somewhere in the line for clearing drills.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll let students dry fire a few times in class in a safe direction, but when I spend time honing trigger skill, I use snap caps or ammo safe. I have students load each other's mags by hiding a snap cap somewhere in the line for clearing drills.
I do the same thing with my students. However, its a requirement at our range to have snap caps if you are dry fireing. I was part of the decision to come up with that rule. I just dont like firing on an empty chamber. I was also told (along time ago) that letting the slide fall on the chamber without something to coushin the impact (brass) could mess up the chamber and slide. I guess it will start to mushroom, I dont not know only because I always use snap caps.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The dry firing restriction came from back in the day when the firing pin was part of the hammer. If the hammer was allowed to fully impact without a cartridge in place there was the possibility of snapping off the firing pin.

Much less of a chance in today's modern pistols. Snap caps are good for those still squeamish about dry firing or if the manufacturer recommends them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts