Defensive Carry banner

Dry Graphite spray

6538 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  GettingOld2
Has anyone used this? I was looking at a big can of it that I got from NAPA. I was thinking it may be a good dry lube. And, since my PT145 is black, I wouldn't have to worry about the color, like I found out when I lubed the door handles on my car.:embarassed:
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
292 Posts
Graphite

I'm relatively new to guns and cleaning. Currently I'm leaning to switching to MilTec-1 or Milcomm. Sig supplied a small container of Milcomm.

At any rate, now that I've established my "newbie" status with regard to guns, I just wanted to mention that the space program does not use dry graphite lubricant for a very good reason; it's not dry. It actually attracts and holds a very thin film of water. In a vacuum, the water boils off and the graphite becomes an abrasive.

Now I realize you're not likely to use a gun in a vacuum, but I just thought the "water" factor might be a concern.

Take it for what it's worth, I'm still learning.

http://www.mechanicsupport.com/graphite_antiseize.html

Graphite and other carbon compounds at high temperatures can cause stainless steel to "carburize". The carbide precipitates produced promote corrosion. The consequences of carburization are:

* the steel loses its stainless quality
* the mechanical properties are harmed,
* red rust corrosion appears.
* Loss of metal, cracks and pinholes appear.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.