Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some may recall my whining about the P12.45's mysery re extraction and actually general function. Well - know what? It really is worth inspecting things closely!

Dufus here had not done this but decided as a useful move to replace extractor anyways (thx to CP14.45 for the advice/suggestion) - so ordered a Wilson extractor from Brownells. Fitted it today and apart from adding a relief of coupla thou on its groove for pin stop - it all went in fine.

But guess what - the old extractor was creamed!! See the pic!! Now I don't think it had been this bad originally but probably went from a chip missing to this without me having checked - being internal it takes a proper look to inspect. However, with the severe FTE's I was having, youda thought I would have - no - thus the DUH!

I need a range session now but cycling five dummy rounds thru a few times, seems to give perfect extraction. We'll see how overall performance is once able to make it to range.

·
Super Moderator
18,099 Posts
May be a bad heatreat...

sometimes the smaller parts tend to get a little too hot,and it makes them too hard and brittle and more prone to breaking

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HG - yep - my thinking too. Over hardened and so brittle.

I am not sure whether this was a MIM part or not they use but the Wilson is machined from solid :smile:

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
P95, how to you top off the gun/load the round in the tube? Have heard not to feed the chamber thru the ejection port.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rocky - I make it a practice and have for ages - to strip top round off mag to chamber (sling-shot) then remove mag and top off.

P series Rugers IIRC are supposed not to mind loose round load but - I reckon extractor claw gets way more stress engaging case at chamber than if snugged over with pick-up from mag.

This extractor I think was slightly failed when I got gun and I never looked or realized. It then obviously got worse - but had no abuse from my loading - so really have to think it was over-hardened at claw area.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Seen a coupls of the Paras come in, with the same trouble as Chris has mentioned. After replacing the extractors on em, the guns function without a glitch!
Something to consider, when making a Para purchase. BTW, I point this out to every prospective Para buyer. Seems they don't believe me when I tell em.
GOOD fix Chris! I'm positive you'll wind up puttlng that P12 in your belt more often

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TRhx lee - hope to sneak to range in a day or two.

Bob -
I'm positive you'll wind up puttlng that P12 in your belt more often
Could well be - tho while I have a rig that'll work it ain't ideal. Other slight possibility that has come up is for a trade on a SIG 228!!

Devil - and deep blue sea!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts