Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duplicate thread. Instead, post on earlier thread.

1) Tragic errors were made by both police and victim. The victim stated that he had a gun and then reached for his wallet to fetch the license. The policeman probably felt threatened and shot him four times! We don't know if the policeman ordered the victim to freeze or if he immediately fired. Hopefully the policeman did first try to get the victim to halt his movements before firing.

2) The victim, licensed to carry, did exactly what I was taught NOT to do when I attended CCH classes. If stopped, I was taught to have my hands gripping the steering wheel, to advise the police that I have a licensed carry gun, which the police will already know about if he ran the plates before approaching my vehicle, and to NOT move my hands unless approved by the police. Also, if my wallet can be fetched, without significant movement, prior to the police approaching the car, to have the wallet on the dash thus eliminating the need to reach my hand where the police cannot see it. I was taught that moving my hands could alarm the officer and result in my being shot. I was also taught to not roll down my window entirely as this also alarms the officer. I wonder about that one, but that is what I was taught.

A real tragedy for everyone involved.

See Link: Falcon Heights shooting: Woman livestreams aftermath - CNN.com

Falcon Heights shooting: Woman livestreams aftermath - CNN.com

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
Already a thread on this.

But as to how we are to act when pulled over...I keep thinking of Rand Paul "assuming the position" when going thru one of those airport body xray machines, then asking "Is this the posture of a free man?!?"

The answer is obviously "No" to me. Train the police differently, but dont ask a nation to "assume the position" and "hope not to be shot" as a result.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This one isn't going to end well for the officer. He will have a tough time to justify the use of deadly force in the absence of a displayed weapon. Particularly, if you are in LEO, and you already have your weapon drawn and on target.

More will undoubtedly come out, but this is my initial impression from the video. Plus the cop's demeanor looks like he was completely flummoxed as to what to do, as this other potential threat in the passenger set they're filming in commentating for two full minutes while the cop just sat there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.