Defensive Carry banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Have a 2 piece in my Para Recon and have had 0 issues.
When I need to take it down I just pull the slide and screw the rod down and disassemble as usual.
And no tools needed.
Yep I've known a few competitors who have had no issues. I just never did have any luck with the 2 I used (Wilson stainless steel and Clark steel) without using Loc-Tite (blue 242). Granted they would just be loose when I checked them after 4 or 5 thousand rounds, I never had one fly out of the gun!
So I've always been careful in competition it is aggravating in SD don't want to even contemplate it.
Now the BEST Full Length Guide Rod is one made by Dawson that has a spring lever that you can lock the assembly up with. I have one on my 2011 STI and it's never caused any issues, probably have in excess of 5,000 rounds though so it's not thoroughly tested out by me. I also tend to not like the FLGR's due to the extra weight up front, but it seems most of my guns have them now and so I'm getting used to it. The extra weight would at times cause issues for my timing on fast splits, it's a personal problem for sure :danceban:!

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
View attachment 304582
Right now, I would say that an Auto Ordnance basic model would do it for me. Since Kahr took over the company, things have improved with them; and that looks like a rugged gun to me.

Here is where I got the pic and there is a review of the gun there.
https://guncarrier.com/auto-ordnance-1911-price-new-650-price-used-see/
My purchase of the AO milspec

https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/233276-kahr-auto-ordnance-pakerized-milspec-1911-a.html

Post 14,
Post 29 explains the internal part replacements made. Now it looks like a mutt but is actually a lamborghini internally.
Post 62 for pics of the redone AO

BTW, AO is no longer making the parked model, blued only. :wink:

·
Registered
225 Posts
My purchase of the AO milspec

https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/233276-kahr-auto-ordnance-pakerized-milspec-1911-a.html

Post 14,
Post 29 explains the internal part replacements made. Now it looks like a mutt but is actually a lamborghini internally.
Post 62 for pics of the redone AO

BTW, AO is no longer making the parked model, blued only. :wink:
OK. And.
I added a note to your old thread, it reads, "I want one." I looked up post #62, and your gun looks good.

[I looked up the AO website, and you are right, they don't have a parkerized. The GI model has a flat black finish.]

·
Registered
83 Posts
TexasArmor84, The department only allowed Series 80 Colts for anyone who wanted to carry a 1911 type pistol. So the 1911 type I carried for several years is rather pedestrian compared with some other 1911s mentioned. A lightly modified,i.e., sights, sharp edges softened, bobbed hammer,etc., Colt Government. I had two made up in similar fashion, in case one of them got impounded as evidence, etc. after some incident. I'd previously had a duty pistol impounded as evidence for about 18 months after an incident, so I was planning ahead in case anything similar happened in future. Anyway, the Colts served well, and I believe railed versions are available if one wishes to utilize a weapon light.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,915 Posts
TexasArmor84, The department only allowed Series 80 Colts for anyone who wanted to carry a 1911 type pistol. So the 1911 type I carried for several years is rather pedestrian compared with some other 1911s mentioned. A lightly modified,i.e., sights, sharp edges softened, bobbed hammer,etc., Colt Government. I had two made up in similar fashion, in case one of them got impounded as evidence, etc. after some incident. I'd previously had a duty pistol impounded as evidence for about 18 months after an incident, so I was planning ahead in case anything similar happened in future. Anyway, the Colts served well, and I believe railed versions are available if one wishes to utilize a weapon light.
That's one fine looking Series 80. :hand10:

81 - 88 of 88 Posts