Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was on our local news station about "duty to inform" Law Enforcement Officers during a traffic stop if you have a concealed handgun and permit to conceal it.

Hopefully people will watch this, understand the laws in each state and abide by them. I live in West Virginia, just across the Ohio River from Ohio and know that if we go there, and we do, if we get pulled over we must inform the LEO of our Concealed Permit and weapon. I think that many do not.

Duty to inform of a concealed weapon in Ohio

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yup. Part of the deal with OH now recognizing all other state's carry permits/licenses is that everyone carrying here has to follow our carry laws.

1. Verbally notify every and all law enforcement officers "promptly" at the beginning of each official encounter (traffic stops included) when you are armed. Not doing so is a misdemeanor and could mean suspension of the Handgun License. This has gone to court before over 56 seconds. That's right, a CHL took 56 seconds to inform the approaching officer and was arrested for failure to inform because it wasn't prompt enough.

**YOU ARE EXEMPT FROM THIS REQUIREMENT AND HAVE NO DUTY TO INFORM THE POLICE OF YOUR CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE IF YOU ARE NOT ARMED***

2. Knowingly entering a business, building, or property that has conspicuously posted a 'no guns' sign, whatever format that may take (crayon on a paper plate saying NO GUNZ is legal), is criminal trespassing, and you will likely be charged with that if discovered.

3. School zones are a stickey wicket that are best avoided unless you absolutely have to be there (IE, cuz you have kids). You can be armed on the property only while dropping a child off or picking up; you cannot exit your vehicle while armed nor can you store the weapon in the car on school property either.

4. There is a specific list of places that are off limits at all times to concealed carry: Schools, police stations, prisons, court houses, day care centers, etc. Read the list and know it. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, CITIZEN!

5. Open Carry is legal!

6. Ohio CHL law does not cover weapons or instruments other than handguns. It's specifically called a Concealed Handgun License, and thus does not cover knives, batons, tasers, etc. ORC 9.68, the firearms pre-emption law, also does not cover other weapons like knives, batons, or tasers, and local municipalities can enact their own ordinances to regulate/restrict these items, which often makes carrying a folding utility knife require the memorization and recital of some very specific legalese verbiage.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
When I tought the Class I told Students. Keep your hands on the Wheel or out the Window and in sight of the Officer. Tell him on approach I have a CCW Permit. Reach for nothing until instructed to. Tell him where the Firearm is when reaching for License. If it's dark have your interior light on befor he gets out of his car.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I had a fender bender here in Florida and when the police showed up I offered her my license and CCW. She handed the CCW back to me and said, "I don't need to see this." Very cool.

·
Registered
257 Posts
In Michigan, we have a duty to inform. AND, we are to obey other state laws when in those states. AND to obey Michigan Carry law in other states if Michigan law is more restrictive.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Having spent almost half my life as a cop I always appreciated it when a Citizen informed me that they were armed, even though they weren't legally obligated to. Every cop that I worked with (or worked for me) felt the same way. I honestly don't see the downside of informing even if not required to. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Having spent almost half my life as a cop I always appreciated it when a Citizen informed me that they were armed, even though they weren't legally obligated to. Every cop that I worked with (or worked for me) felt the same way. I honestly don't see the downside of informing even if not required to. Just my .02 worth.
Assuming no requirement to notify, which is something I believe needs to be fine away with, I could see a case being made under a circumstance where it makes sense, e.g. an interaction beyond a traffic infraction where it might be inadvertently discovered but if mint really isn't germane to the situation, why bring it up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just read handgunlaw.us's document on Michigan laws.

There is an example where are man is pulled over and gives the officer is CPL card. After about 40 second of conversation, the man verbally informs the officer that he is carrying. The man is ticketed for non-disclosure, and in the trial the dashcam is used as evidence. The court found the man guilty because the 40sec wait was not "immediate disclosure"

We have pretty good gun laws in Michigan, but a lot of the cities in the south have uber-liberal government and try to punish gun owners every chance they can get.

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
That's why I choose to inform. I'd much rather just inform than have anything come up and surprise there's a gun.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Because California doesn't have enough weird gun laws, duty to inform is up to issuing agency/authority. IE the county in which your license was issued. In my county, no duty to inform.

·
Registered
712 Posts
In Virginia you don't have to inform, but I do anyway. The last thing that I want is to not inform and accidentally expose my weapon before the Leo finds out by running my info ( Virginia links carry permit to your DL ). Also no guns allowed sign carries no weight of law . The best a business can ask you to leave and if you don't leave charge you with trespassing.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Whether I inform would depend on the situation. If I'm being interviewed by LE on the scene if an alleged crime, then I'll inform. If Im being pulled over for not signaling my intent to turn, my break light is out, or some other minor stop, then its none of the officer's business.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Two simple facts.

It IS against the law to NOT inform law enforcement of a concealed carried firearm in some states.

It is NOT against the law in ANY state TO inform law enforcement when carrying a firearm.

One of these can keep you on the right side of the law no matter where you travel in the U.S. and doesn't require you to check current legislation for every state you traverse.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Two simple facts.

It IS against the law to NOT inform law enforcement of a concealed carried firearm in some states.

It is NOT against the law in ANY state TO inform law enforcement when carrying a firearm.

One of these can keep you on the right side of the law no matter where you travel in the U.S. and doesn't require you to check current legislation for every state you traverse.
Either way, you should check the laws in every state you travel to, so you can stay on the right side of the law.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Every police officer I have spoken with, and every self-defense instructor says the same thing. Even if there is no legal requirement to inform, it is a great courtesy and sets the proper tone for the meeting. Good advice!

1 - 20 of 118 Posts