Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

· Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When my wife and I sleep at night I have a Glock 30 45acp with a Streamlight WML setting on my nightstand next to the bed. Instead of the Glock I sometimes place a Mossberg 590 12ga with a WML leaning on the wall near the bed. I have often thought about hearing damage and ear protection for my wife and I in the event a home invasion occurred while we are sleeping. In a medium sized bedroom the noise level would be extremely high and I don't want our hearing damaged. If we had "ears" setting on each of our nightstands it would take extra time to place the muffs over our ears which would delay me grabbing the gun.

I have often wondered the hearing damage LEO's are subjected to if they have to shoot with no ear protection.

Please let me know your thoughts or what you do regarding hearing protection should a home invasion occur.

Thanks! Bill

· Registered
6,533 Posts
When my wife and I sleep at night I have a Glock 30 45acp with a Streamlight WML setting on my nightstand next to the bed. Instead of the Glock I sometimes place a Mossberg 590 12ga with a WML leaning on the wall near the bed. I have often thought about hearing damage and ear protection for my wife and I in the event a home invasion occurred while we are sleeping. In a medium sized bedroom the noise level would be extremely high and I don't want our hearing damaged. If we had "ears" setting on each of our nightstands it would take extra time to place the muffs over our ears which would delay me grabbing the gun.

I have often wondered the hearing damage LEO's are subjected to if they have to shoot with no ear protection.

Please let me know your thoughts or what you do regarding hearing protection should a home invasion occur.

Thanks! Bill
I think its a great idea.

· Registered
1,957 Posts
I find electronic ear muffs enhance my hearing which could be beneficial. I’d say more often than not you would have time to put them on. If not then your simply at square one. Go for it.

· Premium Member
414 Posts
So, are you going to ask the bad guy breaking into your home to stop and wait for you to apply ear protection? No, you're not. In a situation where you have to defend yourself in a hurry, there is no time to be messing with ear pro. While gun fire inside a home is going to be very loud, you most likely wont be firing enough rounds to do much damage. IMO, I would rather suffer a bit of hearing loss than the loss of my life or another family member.

· Registered
757 Posts
I thought about it once but my electronic hearing muffs stay in my range bag.

If I left them on my nightstand I'd probably forget about them if my home alarm went off and I'd certainly forget about them when I go to the range.

___
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

· Premium Member
993 Posts
Interesting question, but if you don't already sleep with ear pro, I doubt if you would have time to put any on before dispatching an intruder.

· Premium Member
9,640 Posts
Ok idea but the extra time could be put to higher priorities. Finding cover, barricading the door, initiating the 911 call.

· Registered
14,899 Posts
You won’t have any long term hearing damage from a single situation like that. If they aren’t electronic/you forget to turn them on then you could be causing yourself additional problems, assuming you put them on to begin with.

· Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Auditory exclusion, a consequence of adrenaline dump, will likely prevent any long-term hearing difficulties should you ever find yourself in a real deal gunfight.
Thanks Mike - very good point about auditory exclusion - didn't think of that.

· Premium Member
14,189 Posts
Depending on the sound pressure level, you may have permanent hearing damage no matter how amped you are. A pair of electronic muffs is a good contingency, in case you have time to don them.

· Premium Member
14,189 Posts
hi bad guy, can you give me a minute so I can put on my electronic ear mufs on and turn them on ? ok cool, thanks, would you like some too, I have a couple sets, I can wait.
Having e-muffs handy is a reasonable contingency plan. The floor plan, how soon you hear the intruder, and whether you need to move to protect a loved one all come into play.

Sometimes a person may have only seconds, sometimes they will have minutes or more. In the case of the latter, one can "hole up" in the bedroom, call the cops, and wait. I see no issue with donning electronic muffs in that situation.

· Premium Member
50,203 Posts
Not to be the downer here, but if you are in a "liberal" jurisdiction, some opportunistic prosecutor might try to call that premeditation - just a thought.
Along with anything else that is flung against the wall in the hope that something might stick.

· Registered
2,153 Posts
Here is a good article addressing the subject of auditory exclusion:

@BillG174, my advice would be to throw on ear protection IF YOU HAVE THE TIME and you have practiced it thoroughly. However, I think the main focus should be gathering the most important tools (gun and flashlight) and initiating your response.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts