Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since taking up shooting again (after a 25 year hiatus) I've just been using my 30 year old ear muffs.

Well, I had a bad day at the range today.

A guy a few stations down was shooting some big rifle (a 338 Win or something) with what looked like a muzzle break on it.

And then I got sandwiched between two guys shooting 45 automatics.

Plus I was shooting a 327 Federal which is no slouch from the noise perspective.

I decided I need a major upgrade in ear protection.

What's out there on active hearing protection?

What's the best thing going?

Please post your answer because I can no long hear anything.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have never invested big bucks in expensive headsets. But I wear a good set of earplugs under the gun store grade muffs and it seems to do the trick. But if some guy in the next stall starts shooting a .338 with a muzzle break next to me, I'm moving as far away as possible :yikes:

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
For relatively inexpensive get form fit earplugs at a gun show. Those guys are always there. The good form fit cost about $60 or so (been so long I can't remember). Problem is you can't hear much of anything. I use Sport Ears but they are pricey $1,000+ for the model I use. They are form fit and electronic so I can hear voices and they have multiple settings so they can duplicate a hearing aid or extra enhanced hearing for hunting. A good compromise would be electronic ears you can get at any guns store for between $35 and $80. They protect yet you can hear voices. I don't think any one model is that much better than the others. Just be sure to try them on for fit. Fit is EVERYTHING!

If you are caught between some really loud gunners put in some cheap earplugs (10 cents) and put your electronic ears over them.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I usually double up with plugs and earmuffs. Outdoors, sometimes either or both depending on what's around me.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I use the foam ear plugs with electric muffs over the top of them if I go to a public range. Double is the way to go if at all possible

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X
These, get the gel ear cups. I am taking a bunch of classes this year, so I decided to invest in something that would allow me to hear range commands. Forget I am wearing them, very unobtrusive.

First time using them was on an indoor range, precision pistol class, lots of shooters, several instructors, no problem.

·
Registered
623 Posts
"Active" as in "electronic"?
I've been thinking about a set myself, but can't find any that have as high a reduction rating as passive ones.
22dB seems to be a solid average.

For less than $20, I found a set of passives that provide a 34 dB reduction. Combined with a set of Leight foam plugs (32dB reduction), it's like I'm in an anechoic chamber.

'Funny thing is those foam plugs have a higher reduction rating than my custom-molded silicone earplugs (at 24-29dB).
And they're a lot cheaper!

·
Premium Member
8,121 Posts
I double up at an indoor range always - even when it is just Gramps and I shooting. You never know who else is going to come in while you're there, like a couple of LEO did with a LOUD rifle one time.

Although electronic muffs do not have the DB rating of passive ones they do enable you to hear range commands and that is very important. At least I feel it is. If someone has to shout "STOP" it is for a very good and urgent reason and it is best to be able to hear.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I agree with the doubling up while indoors. I have the Peltor Sport Tactical 100s and theyre great for indoor pistols, but once a guy busts out a hand canon or any rifle.... its just way too much boom for my liking and need to add the foam plugs as well.... luckily my range has two rooms... one general shooting in front of the RSOs, and a pistol room a few feet away thats usual quiet... thats where i like to go!

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
I too double up with plugs and MSA Sordin muffs, but first I remove my hearing aids that (partially) resulted from inadequate hearing protection in an indoor range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
If I'm shooting inside I also double up. Foam ear plugs with muffs. Outside I use foam fitted.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I have a ancient pair (by current standards) of Peltors. I don't know what model they are but they were bought in the early nineties through a group buy from Dillon. They were about a $100 back then. They're still working fine so it's become a low cost of ownership.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a couple pair of Howard Leigh Impact Pro earmuffs. The are electronic so they are powered by 2 AAA batteries. I got my first pair at Cabela's.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Howard-Leight-Impact-Pro-Muffs/1380174.uts

I recently got a second pair as a backup. When I go to indoor ranges is use ear plugs and earmuffs. The largest caliber that members can shoot at the range I go to is a .308 caliber.

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
I buy industrial foam ear plugs in bulk at the hardware store. I get 80 plugs for $15. I also use them for sleeping if there is some noise keeping me awake. At the range, I top that with a pair of industrial ear muffs. I have never had a problem.

I found a big advantage of using plugs and muffs is that sometimes the range officer will declare the range "cold," I take off my earmuffs and some idiot will still get off a shot. When that happens, at least I still have the plugs in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts