Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am in need of some good ear protection for indoor range practice. Can you recommend something good that is under $80?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Walker’s Game Ears are periodically on sale.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
+1 on the don't go cheap ..... hearing doesn't come back the same once it's damaged

That said, the foam ear plugs are usually rated in the high 20 dB range, where as most muffs are in the 23-26 range.

I use both. I put two disposable ones in and then cover them with muffs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Amazon has these right now for $61: Walker XCEL 100 Digital Electronic Muff W/ Voice Clarity I bought them a year ago for $80. I love them, and always double up with earplugs when at an indoor range. They have a NRR of 26.

Like bigmacque said, hearing doesn't come back once damaged. Don't permanently damage your hearing to save a few measly bucks. Hearing aids cost thousands.

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
Foam ear plugs are often rated higher than a set of muffs. Still, I double up and use both.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
+1 on the don't go cheap ..... hearing doesn't come back the same once it's damaged

That said, the foam ear plugs are usually rated in the high 20 dB range, where as most muffs are in the 23-26 range.

​I do that also.

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts

I should also add that when I'm not shooting a rifle, I tend to double up as well - usually just a pair of Howard Leights.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
Yes do not go cheap.
The '70s and ,80s and bartending at bars with live entertainment did me in with a wicked case of tinnitus.
I use noise cancelling headgear and sometimes double up with foam plugs.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
A decent set of basic padded ear muffs, which is only 26 or so DB protection cost around $30 at this time. Foam ear plugs are cheap and you can double up with no issues. I tend to only use the muffs, but then again I am not shooting some of the bigger calibers.

The key with getting muffs, is that they need to cover your entire ear. If they don't, they are not going to reduce the noise as advertised.

The Walker ones being advertised are one of the better brands available. The extra cost is worth it for some of the added features that they have.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Reactions: Tstone

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Don't go cheap on hearing protection. If it were I, I'd opt for MSA.
This, hard to beat these, especially if you need to hear complex range commands in classes.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I suggest looking at industrial supply dealers, either locally on on-line. You will find any number of choices, all OSHA-approved with proven sound-reduction capabilities for use by workers in noisy environments. You will also recognize some of them as being identical to products marketed by big-name firearms outfits, the only differences being embedded marketing logos, packaging, and a big difference in cost.

At one time I seriously considered purchasing in volume from a manufacturer and reselling on my holster business website. The price differences are truly astronomical! I never went that far, but I did order several hundred excellent quality OSHA-approved ear plugs for less than $2 per set, identical to the ones offered by a big-name firearms company for ~$15 retail, and gave them away as a business promotional item. There are similar price differences between brand-name ear muff-style and identical products sold to business and industrial users ($12 to $20 vs. $60 to $100). There are also single-use disposables that are sold by shooting supply companies for ~$5, but can be purchased by the box for less than $1 per set (I carry a box of those in my range bag and frequently give them away to others).

Shooting supply catalogs and websites for shooting supplies, industrial supply houses for hearing protection (and eye protection; couple of bucks for OSHA-approved gear instead of ~$10 or more for the same thing at a sporting goods dealer).

You're welcome!

·
Registered
33,858 Posts
Reactions: Oklahoma1911

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Howard Leight Impact Pro. Great for handguns indoors, double up with foam plugs if desired.
That's what I use, but with SureFire EP3 inside them.

·
Registered
979 Posts
PSA: If you use the battery operated muffs, such as, Howard Leight, etc; and if you use them on an infrequent basis, i.e. once/month or less, remove the batteries and store them within the muffs while not in use. This will preserve the batteries just in case the ON/OFF switch is left in the ON position. Also, batteries tend to "leak" if they're not used for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Ear plugs for rifle (better cheek weld on the stock), over the ear muffs for pistol. I just go by the noise reduction rating.

One thing to bear in mind is that I’ve seen some shooting glasses interfere with the proper fit of the over the ear muffs. Just something to be aware of...best to actually try them out if possible, while wearing your glasses.

Only time I’ve ever wanted to double up and use both is when the yahoos turn up at the range with their short barrel AR “pistols” to make a lot of noise while not hitting anything... :tired:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts