Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
Normally when a couple dozen members have already written the same thing, I don't add another post. But truly it can not be stressed enough: WEAR DOUBLE HEARING PROTECTION WHEN SHOOTING INDOORS!

And if you already have some hearing loss (as I do) it is even more important to wear the best protection you can get, to save what little hearing you have left. I repeat: Indoors: foam ear plugs in the ears and electronic muffs over the ears/head!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
One thing to bear in mind is that I’ve seen some shooting glasses interfere with the proper fit of the over the ear muffs. Just something to be aware of...best to actually try them out if possible, while wearing your glasses.
There's an outfit that sells gel pads especially to handle that problem, they're designed for the HL Impact Sport, but have adapters for other brands.
https://noisefighters.com/products/sightlines1

·
Premium Member
305 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I don't recall the last time I used an indoor range.

I agree with the advice being given about doubling up with hearing protection when using an indoor range. The last time I used an range I was using my standard pair of muffs when someone came in and RO announced that someone was shooting a magnum. I did not understand at that point, but learned quickly, as the why of the announcement. A magnum round going off indoors can be very loud. Depending on how the range is built, basically how well it absorbs sound, determines how much sound dampening occurs. With the physics of sound, being indoors will always amplify the sound more than being outdoors.

·
Premium Member
7,338 Posts
I worked 30 years in a steel mill meltshop and the yellow plugs worked great and no major loss in hearing (don't let the wife know). I prefer those over the muffs. the DB range is better than advertised.
Ha! That was a good one!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
At the rifle range MCRD Parris Island 1964 qualification hearing protection (Cotton-Balls) inserted in ones ears. Not exactly state of the art even then. Today MSA as opposed to hearing protection from other suppliers there is reason why MSA is $$$ because they are better than $$ units.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
The few times I have gone to an indoor range I use an electronic muff over foam plugs. when standing next to a cement wall, the echo can confuse the electronics and sometimes not compress the sound! In that case the foam plugs will protect you. I turn the volume up on the electronics so I can hear what is going on behind me but still have that protection. Good luck. DR

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
yes do not go cheap.
The '70s and ,80s and bartending at bars with live entertainment did me in with a wicked case of tinnitus.
I use noise cancelling headgear and sometimes double up with foam plugs.
i don't have any tinnitus, just the occasional ringing.

I have several pairs of cheapo generic muffs that work fine outdoors but indoors, yes definitely double up. Indoor shooting will melt your bones, especially your ear bones.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Normally when a couple dozen members have already written the same thing, I don't add another post. But truly it can not be stressed enough: WEAR DOUBLE HEARING PROTECTION WHEN SHOOTING INDOORS!

And if you already have some hearing loss (as I do) it is even more important to wear the best protection you can get, to save what little hearing you have left. I repeat: Indoors: foam ear plugs in the ears and electronic muffs over the ears/head!
Worth repeating. I did EMS for years. Sat under sirens for years. Decades later when I was in my early 50’s the hearing loss showed up. You may think you’re fine because the affects don’t show up for a very long time. You’ll want to hear later in life.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I don't recall the last time I used an indoor range.

I agree with the advice being given about doubling up with hearing protection when using an indoor range. The last time I used an range I was using my standard pair of muffs when someone came in and RO announced that someone was shooting a magnum. I did not understand at that point, but learned quickly, as the why of the announcement. A magnum round going off indoors can be very loud. Depending on how the range is built, basically how well it absorbs sound, determines how much sound dampening occurs. With the physics of sound, being indoors will always amplify the sound more than being outdoors.
Well, I've never been to any indoor range that is built to absorb any sound - just concrete and steel. Nice for running your favorite Fender reverb knobs and acquiring spatial feedback but running guns, not so much.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I frequent a local indoor range and use the ear plugs we get at work with no problems. The one time I forgot to bring my own I bought a pair at the range. I was jumping out of my skin every time the guy next to me fired a shot and I quickly went to the counter and rented some muffs and doubled up. Seems there’s quite a range of quality with both muffs and plugs. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I've used peltor 27db muffs for years at out door ranges or 3M corded 3 flang ear plugs going back 40 years from constrution or range but we bought a 3 sets of there new X5 31db for a shooting shed we have at home and we used what 3M calls there E.A.R ultra fit for anything noisy from mowing the yard to doubling up if next to some mutt with a flash hider on his semiauto 5 feet away !! I have not been to indoor ranges in years if any other option is available . last time was when I had to requal after moving to NC 22 years ago . Nothing like a 357mag fire next to you even if a bullet proof partition is between you and them . I been on both sides of this problem . I have electronic protection for hunting but to many years when young running airboats with a 72" prop 3 feet from my head and years of shooting handguns 308 and 12ga with no protection so I hear a bbbbuuuuzzzzz all the time .Just trying to keep what I still have .

·
Registered
488 Posts
Howard Leight Impact Pro. Great for handguns indoors, double up with foam plugs if desired.
The Impact Pro is definitely vastly quieter than the Impact Sport.
However, they are quite bulky.
I really like a different combination for size and comfort - Howard Leight Impact Sport + Replacement Gel Cushions + foam earplugs. This can be had for less than your $80 total, and will provide better protection than Impact Pro alone.
I think using plugs and over-the-ear protection together is essential at an indoor range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Impact Pro is definitely vastly quieter than the Impact Sport.
However, they are quite bulky.
I really like a different combination for size and comfort - Howard Leight Impact Sport + Replacement Gel Cushions + foam earplugs. This can be had for less than your $80 total, and will provide better protection than Impact Pro alone.
I think using plugs and over-the-ear protection together is essential at an indoor range.
I need to get the gel cushions for mine. Any place you'd recommend?
Double ear pro is mandatory for indoor ranges for me, those things are pretty brutally loud.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Proear33 + canal plugs of your choice. I would double up

I have never been willing to accept a lower db rating simply for the convenience of electronics. I have never been unable to carry on a conversation or hear range commands while wearing traditional muffs and plugs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Walker's can't be beat

Hey guys, I am in need of some good ear protection for indoor range practice. Can you recommend something good that is under $80?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I'm an Instructor. These things are AWESOME, because I can hear anything on the range. I use them almost daily at a 7 lane indoor gym, and weekly at an outdoor range. Can't be beat for the price. This one comes with a case and a set of safety glasses. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N7MKJBZ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07N7MKJBZ&pd_rd_w=wAR55&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=6LMhY&pf_rd_r=30W6XJFSMERMZ279GMWP&pd_rd_r=8cebcb8c-e00a-497c-84af-2cf9b65d180b&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSkVWQ09HU1A2TEkwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDgzNTk4RFZISVk3Wks0V1BEJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NzQ5MTc0V0JVNkUwVlBPMlcmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

·
Registered
33,912 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Great, thanks for the reply. I will be shooting handguns at an indoor range. Will the razor protect me?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 43 Posts