Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering people's opinions of the types of concealed carry & holster options that are easiest to draw from.

It seems to me that a shoulder holster underneath a jacket would be the easiest, followed by an untucked waist carry - and even that would vary by position. Pocket is difficult for me to access, but I'm guessing that would depend on the pants. Ankle and under-shirt shoulder seem almost useless for a primary.

But all that is speculation on my part. I would like to hear the opinions of people with actual experience with this. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
This somewhat depends on what type of activity your are engaged in. Over all many choose strong side belt carry for good concealment, ease of draw and control of the firearm.

·
Administrator
143,828 Posts
An Alessi shoulder holster is very quick and easy to draw from due to the lack of a retention strap. You just grab the gun and pull and it's out.
I think a good OWB holster (with a forward cant to the firearm) & worn just behind the strong side hip (held in place by a good stiiff gun belt) and covered with an oversize T-Shirt is quite quick and easy to draw from but, just like any other body location.
Practice makes perfect when it comes to a quick and effortless draw.

Naturally that waist location is NOT so fantastic during Winter when a long and heavy zipped/buttoned up Winter coat is worn. I usually switch to an Alessi shoulder rig for those biting cold Winter days.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Appendix carry

·
Registered
243 Posts
Due to some Physical limitations I had to experiment and found for me Cross Draw @ 11 oclock gave me the most concealable,comfortable and fastest draw. Speed will only come with diligent practice.Don't practice for speed,practice for a smooth perfect draw,that has no bad habits within it, the speed of your draw will naturally follow with consistency. good luck!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
New, innovative ideas for carry methods come up regularly (Thunderwear, Clipdraw, etc.). There's a reason why strong-side OWB & shoulder holsters still rule the roost after 100 years. They work in the widest range of CC scenerios! Follow the LE/Military pros who bet their lives on their equipment every single day. Sounds like you're right on track :wink:.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
It's the one you practice practice practice from! :wink:

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
It's the one you practice practice practice from! :wink:
:yup::yup::yup:
Here's your answer...:image035:
:yup::yup::yup:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have seen people practicing the draw at ranges and notice one step most don't work on.

They stand at the ready with holstered gun, IWB, OWB, shoulder or crossdraw, strong side or weak side, and are not wearing a covering garment.

Getting to the pistol in most normal circumstances involves clearing the cover out of the way, whether it means pulling up a shirt or getting a jacket or coat away from the pistol.

Since a smooth speedy draw is a muscle memory type of action it only makes sense to work on it in the way you would normally be dressed. A fast draw is fine, but if you wind up with a handfull of fabric instead of a gun your pistol isn't going to be much good.

Work on the draw with the pistol concealed usually involves both hands yet most of the people I see, who normally carry concealed, are really practicing on the draw from an open carry start and only use the strong hand.

OMO

bosco

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have seen people practicing the draw at ranges and notice one step most don't work on.

They stand at the ready with holstered gun, IWB, OWB, shoulder or crossdraw, strong side or weak side, and are not wearing a covering garment.

Getting to the pistol in most normal circumstances involves clearing the cover out of the way, whether it means pulling up a shirt or getting a jacket or coat away from the pistol.

Since a smooth speedy draw is a muscle memory type of action it only makes sense to work on it in the way you would normally be dressed. A fast draw is fine, but if you wind up with a handfull of fabric instead of a gun your pistol isn't going to be much good.

Work on the draw with the pistol concealed usually involves both hands yet most of the people I see, who normally carry concealed, are really practicing on the draw from an open carry start and only use the strong hand.

OMO

bosco
You are exactly right. I have done this as well and after the last time, I decided that from now on I will wear normal type of clothing when I practice draw and fire just because of the muscle memory, etc.

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
I carry in front, at 1100, using a Smartcarry. Allows you to draw with either hand. No need to sweep a cover garment away, assuming a tucked shirt. In the winter, I just leave the bottom of my coat open a bit - way faster than strong side or crossdraw. Also, since the gun is in front, hand movement is minimized.

Only comparable position is appendix - and I don't want my gun pointed at my femoral artery when I sit. And no, Smartcarry does not point your gun at your "gun.":rolleyes:

This method is a faster draw than most folks realize. And utterly concealed.:wink:

·
Banned
13,684 Posts

·
Banned
480 Posts
Crossdraw, in front at 3 o'clock.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Crossdraw, in front at 3 o'clock.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts