Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I want two separate holsters. One IWB and one OWB. Not sure yet what I am looking for in an OWB but I believe for an IWB want something that is easy to take on an off yet comfortable. From your experience what IWB fits that description? Pics would be appreciated as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
33,724 Posts
Easy on/easy off and comfortable have proven to be mutually exclusive terms in my IWB holster experience.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
This one:

I wear it slightly farther forward than that pic, front strap in front of the belt loop.
Takes just a few seconds to put on or remove. Great retention, I can shake it upside-down and it stays in the holster. I wear it all day during all activities (usually driving).
I made it myself with $60 of materials and tools from Hobby Lobby. Made a few more cutting the cost of each holster, so it's down to about $15 each (more leather left so cost gets better).
Takes a few hours to make one. YouTube videos made it possible, though I made some leather projects wayyyy back in high school.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
For IWB I like the most minimal type I can find. Since it can't be seen except for the belt clips, I don't care much what it looks like. I prefer a single belt clip for smaller pistols. I have not found an IWB holster that is entirely concealable without some effort. I don't like wearing pants that are a waist size too big. I'd rather change pistols than pants if I need really deep concealment, and I don't.

If it is your first try with ISW, I would probably go with a Galco or Desantis rather than any custom holster. Some guys swear by certain types of hybrid contraptions. I don't but each to their own. I'd wear a belly band before wearing a holster 2X the size of my pistol.

What's most important for me when concealing is the position on my waist. I conceal better at 1 o'clock than 3 o'clock but draw better at 3 to almost 4 o'clock, IWB or out.

My pants pockets are always full of keys and other stuff that I have an need to get at so I usually holster behind the first belt loop beyond my pocket (3-4 o'clock). The grip doesn't hug me as much as I want but that's a trade off I deal with.

·
Registered
632 Posts
JM Custom Kydex IWB Version 3 SL (soft loop).

Easy on and off, minimalist design, stable with two loops, and comfortable. I carry a G34 daily and use one when I don't have the light attached. I use a JM Custom IWB Version 2.5 light bearing most of the time as I carry the pistol with an X300 almost always. Similar design but for a pistol with light.

Version 3 SL on left, Version 2.5 on right.

Mine are set with a 20 degree forward cant.

The material around the trigger guard kicks out a bit to help torque the grip in.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JM Custom Kydex IWB Version 3 SL (soft loop).

Easy on and off, minimalist design, stable with two loops, and comfortable. I carry a G34 daily and use one when I don't have the light attached. I use a JM Custom IWB Version 2.5 light bearing most of the time as I carry the pistol with an X300 almost always. Similar design but for a pistol with light.

Version 3 SL on left, Version 2.5 on right.

Mine are set with a 20 degree forward cant.

The material around the trigger guard kicks out a bit to help torque the grip in.

I think I want Kydex over leather. Do the snaps on the straps hold well?

Also, anyone familiar with Boltaron? It is advertised as being stronger than Kydex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Same answer I give to MOST IWB holster questions - Milt Sparks Summer Special II horse hide.. Anything less is just...a holster. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
If you like leather rather than kydex, another option is the Stoner 415. I love mine! Comfortable and super easy on/off.

415.jpg

1 - 20 of 46 Posts