Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody taking any special precautions at your Easter church service?

I am thinking either as Joe Citizen parishioner or as a member of your official church security team.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
As a LEO we always gave extra coverage to Churches or Synagogues during any Christian or Jewish Holiday and especially during the days around 9/11. The Police cars were known as H.O.W cars ( House Of Worship ). Now that I'm retired, I pay extra attention when I'm in public places during these Holidays ( churches, shopping malls, supermarkets, etc ). In warm weather, I usually sport my S&W .357 5 shot revolver, but in the days near Easter, I'm carrying my S&W 45c with two extra magazines. Better to be safe than sorry.---Sturgis

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'm always armed at church, and also serve as part of our security team. As a church, we're not doing anything extra with regards to security; however, I'm taking the tithes and offerings back to the money counter's area, and plan to be an extra security person. We had an Easter drama earlier tonight, where I was also the official photographer for our Facebook and web page, so since I've seen the service. I'm going to lend an extra hand in campus patrol.

I feel that churches will become targeted more and more. So far, we've only had graffiti and a juvenile theft. But not far away, autos have been stolen during services, as well,as a few other higher profile theft items.

·
Registered
13,187 Posts
Our church is "in the round" meaning the altar is in the middle and the pews are 360 degrees around it. There is an outer aisle that runs behind all the pews and fire exits all around, but only one way in. On major holidays, our local PD generally has a uniformed cop in the church for the whole service. He walks around that outer aisle the whole time, sometimes stopping for a minute or two, sometimes changing direction, always watching the congregation. The ones I've seen seem to be pretty good. Sometimes they will have a second cop in a car in the parking lot.

I'm always armed at church, but I don't see myself as part of the "defense force." I figure if there's an attack, people are going to be running in every direction and the chance of hitting a fellow parishioner is higher than hitting a BG. And pulling a gun with a cop in the church is just asking to be mistaken for an accomplice. I sit on the far side from the entrance, in the back row on the end, so there is no one behind me. I could see any threat coming in and there is a fire exit just a few feet behind me that goes to the side of the church, not the parking lot. I make a habit of observing people and looking for anything suspicious.

This is not to suggest that I'm paranoid at church, which I'm not, or that I don't pay full attention to the service, because I do, very much. It's almost a reflexive, subliminal kind of thing. It's classic Condition Yellow, relaxed but alert. If there was a threat and I had a clear, quick shot, I'd take it. But otherwise, I would be out that fire exit so fast "there will be a jmf552-shaped vacuum" sitting in my spot.

Finally, today I'm going to the "sunrise service" at 6:30. These are usually the least attended and shortest services on Easter, because people with families and "twice a year churchgoers" generally don't drag everyone out of bed to get there that early. If a BG were going to target a service, it would more likely be one of the later, more crowded, ones like the 9:00 or the 11:00.

·
Premium Member
38,999 Posts

I am thinking either as Joe Citizen parishioner or as a member of your official church security team.
I take my special precautions year round, nothing different during holidays.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
Nope.

I cant wrap my head around the worry of dying, while we celebrate resurrection day:)

·
Banned
216 Posts
I plan to carry a J-frame. As I usually do. It's a small church, and I'd guess about 20% CCW. But I won't be scanning the perimeter for threats.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
The dangerous part at my church is getting out of the parking lot alive after the service is over......just sayin...:hand5:

HAPPY EASTER!! Now get the %$&^%&^$# outa my way!! :wave:

·
Banned
19,633 Posts
Nope.

I cant wrap my head around the worry of dying, while we celebrate resurrection day:)
We celebrate resurrection because? Death preceded it. It might be quite appropriate to consider death during a sermon about resurrection.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

None more than usual. I'm just a parishioner, and not aware of any organized security effort.

Nope.

Some will worry, I merely choose to be aware and ready as on any day. Ugly things can still happen at celebrations. Any large crowd usually nudges my attention level up a notch.

At some point terrorists may begin hitting churches here on a regular basis, but it doesn't seem we're there yet.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
We celebrate resurrection because? Death preceded it. It might be quite appropriate to consider death during a sermon about resurrection.
Yes, maybe you should.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
The pastor/priest will likely speak to his dying to save us all, during a service today.

At least you will be receiving the ultimate, and definitive training:)

Reactions: Bad Bob and AzQkr

·
Premium Member
38,999 Posts
Lots of people thought that last week in Egypt. I don't worry about dying, just being prepared. May as well take your bomb dog, bombs don't miss.
Passover is not the week to walk like an Egyptian.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Considering there's a gun or two on nearly every person in here on every other day, I don't expect this service to be any more risky than the rest. I'm packing the 3" .357 and the song leader sitting next to me has his trusty XD .45 with an NAA in his ankle.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Just got back from 8:30am Mass.....on the way we were running late and the wife is yelling at me to speed up and pass some of the cars on the way....she said "You're not driving Catholic enough".

I spent the rest of the service praying for forgiveness for my driving.............Ok so should I have stayed home? :embarassed: just sayin...

Reactions: G-man* and graydude

·
Premium Member
38,999 Posts
Just got back from 8:30am Mass.....on the way we were running late and the wife is yelling at me to speed up and pass some of the cars on the way....she said "You're not driving Catholic enough".

I spent the rest of the service praying for forgiveness for my driving.............Ok so should I have stayed home? :embarassed: just sayin...
I would truly hate to see you getting pulled over in must-inform Ohio for speeding to 8:30 Mass. The conflicted righteousness and guilt would be tough to explain.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I would truly hate to see you getting pulled over in must-inform Ohio for speeding to 8:30 Mass. The conflicted righteousness and guilt would be tough to explain.
"Hello, officer. Here is my drivers license and also my concealed carry license. Yes, I am carrying; there is a small caliber weapon on my hip, and a large caliber weapon who is late for Easter church in the seat to my right. With all due respect, please write quickly."

1 - 20 of 42 Posts