Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is looking for a knife to use around the barn she works at, that is easy to open (preferably one hand) AND easy to manipulate to close.
She likes NONE of my knives, finding the locks small and hard to manipulate on closing.

I've looked at a few OTF autos, and like the action (one big button to open and close) but that style of knife is impractical for real work.

It's primary use will be around the barn, but could also be a back up defensive blade if she found one that fit the bill.

Oh, and money is tight. Definitely looking for under 100 bucks.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Benchmade Axis locks. Same manipulation to open and close, can do both one handed.

Matt

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If she wants easy one handed opening the Spydercos ought to work for her.
Yeah, they OPEN easy, but again, she finds the locks a pain. Especially with gloves on, which she infrequently takes the time to remove.

Benchmade Axis locks. Same manipulation to open and close, can do both one handed.

Matt
I'll look them up.

BTW, I suggested a fixed blade/sheath knife, but she hates "stuff all over" her belt.

See why this is frustrating me? :blink:

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Originally Posted by wmhawth
If she wants easy one handed opening the Spydercos ought to work for her.
Yeah, they OPEN easy, but again, she finds the locks a pain. Especially with gloves on, which she infrequently takes the time to remove.
Hmmm...Working the lock one handed seems easy for me with my Endura but if it's difficult for her how about a small fixed blade knife?

Oops. Didn't see your comment about a fixed blade on her belt.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wmhawth,
We both must have been typing at the same time...I just mentioned she doesn't care for fixed blades either.
See why I'm at a loss? She was easier to please with a gun!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might I suggest a Leverletto?
leverletto

If she is uncomfortable with an automatic, the "tactical" model can be locked into non-auto mode.
Auto would be ok, and that looks interesting. Thumb the same lever to unlock as to open?

(I've never been a huge knife guy-thanks for the help)

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Real neat, but how easy are they to close with a glove on? Closing mechanisms are what frustrate her.
I guess it would depend on how thick the gloves are. I'm playing with my Shallot right now opening and closing easily with one ungloved hand.

You're probably best off taking her, and her gloved hands, to a knife shop and trying out a bunch of different ones.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I thought about a trip to Smokey Mtn Knifeworks, but I really wanted to try to find something before Christmas.

Guess I'll keep looking, or put it on hold till we can make a trip.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Yeah, I thought about a trip to Smokey Mtn Knifeworks, but I really wanted to try to find something before Christmas.

Guess I'll keep looking, or put it on hold till we can make a trip.
Go through the Cabelas and/or Bass Pro website and order a few different ones. Then return the ones she doesn't like. They're great about returns and have fast shipping.

Here are a few places to start................

Cabela's -- Knives & Tools

Cabela's -- Folding Knives

Bass Pro Shops Search Results

Cabelas has free shipping on orders over $99!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As pedestrian and boring as this sounds.......A box or utility knife? Easy one-handed, gloved-ungloved operation and always sharp...........

Bloody brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? :embarassed:

She couldn't care less about the coolness factor, so that would be perfect. Then she can carry a small folder in the pocket if she occasionally does need a longer blade.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go through the Cabelas and/or Bass Pro website and order a few different ones. Then return the ones she doesn't like. They're great about returns and have fast shipping.

Here are a few places to start................

Cabela's -- Knives & Tools

Cabela's -- Folding Knives

Cabelas has free shipping on orders over $99!

Thanks GB...even if I use Richard's idea for my wife I see a few that I like for ME in the links! :image035:

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I can easily open and close my Kershaw Ken Onion Leek with one hand, but it did take some bandaids to get it down to a natural movement.:yup:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes-lever opens and closes. It works well left-handed, too.
Holy cow Bill, your work on your site is beautiful! Wish I could afford to be a customer right now!

I can easily open and close my Kershaw Ken Onion Leek with one hand, but it did take some bandaids to get it down to a natural movement.:yup:
She wouldn't care to put that kind of effort into it! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts