Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a Taurus .38 5 shot revolver. However, I would like to get a 9mm for carry. My problem is I have a disabled right hand, with limited grip so I need a 9mm that is easy to rack. Most I have tried are very difficult, although I have found a Hi Point compact 9mm which I can easily rack. The drawbacks to this gun: 1) cannot mount a laser sight 2) cartridges only hold 8 bullets.

I am a female with average size hands. Can anyone suggest any other 9mm for me to try?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I would tend to stay away from CZs...I've owned one and have fondled several. The slides seem to be VERY tight.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
The Ruger P-series have large-ish grips, but have always been easy to work. That is if you don't mind carrying a full size.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Have you considered changing the way you rack the slide?
Really, you only have to rack the slide when you first load your gun and if you have a malfunction. When you first load it, hook the rear sight or front corner of the slide on something like a countertop or table (or fashion a specific block of some hard material for the purpose) and push forward using your good hand or good hand + hip. If you have to do this away from a suitable hard surface you can hook the rear sight on your belt, shoe sole, etc. The annual Glock magazine from a couple of years ago showed a police officer with only one arm and how he could fully manipulate his Glock. Course, your situation also brings up the fastest reload is a second gun - luckily you've got one.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Are you trying to rack the slide slingshot style (by pinching the rear of the slide between your thumb and index finger and pulling back)? You may have better luck grabbing the slide from the top using your whole hand (palm down just behind the ejection port, thumb pointing towards you). Instead of just pulling back on the slide, pull back with the support hand and shove the gun forward with the primary hand. This technique makes it much easier to rack the slide than the slingshot method.

·
Registered
358 Posts
@Ned - I had never heard of that way to rack but I will definitely remember it if I should have a problem with my offhand or for that matter my good hand. What an interesting suggestion.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Have you considered changing the way you rack the slide?
Really, you only have to rack the slide when you first load your gun and if you have a malfunction. When you first load it, hook the rear sight or front corner of the slide on something like a countertop or table (or fashion a specific block of some hard material for the purpose) and push forward using your good hand or good hand + hip. If you have to do this away from a suitable hard surface you can hook the rear sight on your belt, shoe sole, etc. The annual Glock magazine from a couple of years ago showed a police officer with only one arm and how he could fully manipulate his Glock. Course, your situation also brings up the fastest reload is a second gun - luckily you've got one.
This way defiantly works. You just have to be careful how much you push down, you could break your sights.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
My wife searched long and hard for a pistol that she could function. She finally decided on the Taurus PT-111 Millenium Pro 9mm. She has fired 500-600 rds flawlessly and the gun shoots real well. I was a skeptic but I have shot it and it shoots fine with decent accuracy. This was one of the few that my wife could easily operate the slide and under duress. Check it out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
this from a newbie: do you think a gunsmith could work with you to make some "slide handle" ie weld something on, that you could rack? or to reduce the spring force? Good luck.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I'm going to suggest you go to Blockbuster, or if you have Netflix rent a copy of
the movie "Valkyrie" with Tom Cruise. He portrays a one handed soldier and near the end he racks the slide on his Walther pistol in a unique way. I could explain it, but seeing it would be more helpful. Besides you could watch the scene more than once if need be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Easy Racking Methods

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will certainly be trying all the methods ya'll have suggested as well as watching Valkyrie.

I have asked gun dealers if the spring on pistols can be adjusted to make racking easier, but have not found anyone who really seems to know if it can be done or who know how to do it. Anyone else know?

Thanks again for all the help. It's nice that so many are willing to help me with this problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know why I never thought of shoving the gun forward to make racking easier. Not thinking outside the box! I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know how it works for me. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will certainly be trying all the methods ya'll have suggested as well as watching Valkyrie.

I have asked gun dealers if the spring on pistols can be adjusted to make racking easier, but have not found anyone who really seems to know if it can be done or who know how to do it. Anyone else know?

Thanks again for all the help. It's nice that so many are willing to help me with this problem.
The issue you will run into on most semi-autos with lightening the spring is that it needs enough force and speed to return the gun to battery and chamber the next round. So a lot of times you can't lighten it up much.

Also, if it is possible for you, try holding the pistol in a hand with the elbow on that arm locked and pointing down, and pull the slide with your other hand. That helped my grandma out when she was having trouble racking a slide

If your firearm has a robust rear sight using a seperate object to rack the slide is a good option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A not-great video of some kid with an airsoft gun doing the Tom Cruise Valkyrie method:

YouTube - Valkyrie Way of Cocking a Gun

It's enough to give you the concept. I've done this with my XD-40, and the key seems to be to really get the edge of the desk (table, shooting bench, hitching post, whatever) right on the top edge of the slide frame.

If the barrel touches the table, you've got it too low. If the front sight touches, you've got it too high. Right in the middle is just right. Now push all the way down, let it snap back up, and keep a firm grip.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
You might want to try a Walther PPS. My wife had extreme difficulty racking the slide on virtually every auto we tried but I ended up losing my new PPS to her when she discovered she could rack it with ease.

Hoss

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
my mother has a simular situation and she found the M&P 9mm to be workable in the strong hand position.

close to the body like opening a jar.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Blackeagle's description is from the Israeli manual of arms (for historical reasons having to do with the varying quality of guns available, they trained people to carry unchambered; thus, racking the slide at the draw was an important part of getting the gun into action and everybody had to be able to do it). I saw it demo'ed in Mas Ayoob's LFI class, and I have taught several shooters to do it since. It has worked very well for all of them.

The one other suggestion I would make is that you do see a type of extra handle added to high-end competition guns in IPSC. For what it is worth, it looks a little like an AR-15 charging handle added to the back of the slide behind the rear sights. If you really needed extra leverage, or even just something a little easier to catch against a belt or table edge, you might find a gunsmith who could add something like that to whatever gun you like. This picture shows such a setup, though definitely on the bigger side...

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I wish my cartridges held 8 rounds...

Anyway, I thought of something a while back that, if you could get a holster maker to 'invent' it, would work. Some type of holster or holster-esque device that would 'trap' the slide and hold it in place so that you could push the frame through a downward draw, then the slide would release, cocking the weapon as it passes through.

Now, you don't say why you want a 9mm. Is it to increase capacity? How about this:

Product: Model 327 M&P R8 - 8 Shot, .357 Magnum Revolver

1 - 20 of 29 Posts