Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been worried quite a bit about the females in My family lately. As I am fine tuning my EDC gear I am increasingly concerned about them. Early in the year I bought pepper spray for them but as I have "evolved" for lack of a better word I want them more prepared. My wife meets with judge this month to get pistol permit but here she will have to have it for 1 year before possibly being able to carry! The other girls have not even applied yet. Anyway I am thinking they should carry a powerful flashlight and perhaps a knife as well. They think I am a little nuts, I KNOW I am not!
Any of you guys doing this? Any Ladies here prepared in this way? They will carry if I tell
Them to but I must convince them to train with these tools as well.
Thoughts??

Thanks,as always, You Guys are Great!

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
You won't get them to carry anything if their mind-sets aren't dialed in. Certainly get them to apply for pistol permits, but then I'd look around for an NRA Refuse to Be A Victim seminar. Get them thinking about situational awareness and ways to avoid trouble that don't involve firearms, then grow from there.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Mind-set is the key, like gasmitty says. Training is most important along with that. Without the mind-set and training, not even a gun helps. That said:

Krav Maga - If you can't find a LEGIT class, books and videos by Darren Levine.

Pepper spray - Fox Labs is my preferred brand.

Flashlight - I carry a 4Sevens Quark. A flashlight can be used for numerous benign applications, for safety, for stunning a potential attacker (though I wouldn't rely on that) and most importantly for self-defense, as a kubotan to harden the fist for strikes.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Powerful high quality small flash light and high quality lock blade folder.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Another defensive item that has not been mentioned is a cane or walking stick coupled with some basic techniques could be a viable weapon. Canes/ walking sticks are usually legal in even the most restrictive jurisdictions. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I am pretty lucky wifes been carrying over 20 years. I sure would not want her mad t me with that 642 she carries. That said I try o limit her exposure. I keep her car full an we do all banking online.

·
Registered
204 Posts
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Teach them about situational awareness. Situational awareness is the most important component in self defense. You can have five rifles, three shotguns and a pistol on you, but if you are unaware of your surroundings, none of that firepower is worth a fiddler's fart. Teach them avoidance, and to look at people's hands. Teach them that seeing two guys split up in a parking lot means there could be some shenanigans afoot. Teach them to have their head on a swivel. Teach them that their mind is their most effective weapon.

Get them some OC spray, and have them carry it strong side on their belt. Have them practice deploying it. There is much that can be taught, and learned, before a handgun is introduced into the mix.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
If they've never thought seriously about self defense, it doesn't matter if they have a cannon in their pocket - the body cannot go where the mind has not been.

Even if it's something as simple as carrying a keychain pepper spray can, it's not the sort of thing you can buy as a talisman, forget about, and rely upon to protect you.

The biggest thing about pepper spray that people seem not to get is that (assuming it's going to work on the person) it takes anywhere from 3-15 seconds to work up to full effect, and in that time, the person you sprayed is probably going to be pretty mad.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Personally I would stay away from getting them to carry a knife as a self defense tool. To become proficient with a knife you need to go through very extensive training. The odds of that knife being taken from them and used against them is very high.
Thats a good point! For most of us that carry knifes, using it in SD is a nightmare scenario, where you are clearly in a fight for your life with no other options left!
God Forbid, I were in a situation like that I prefer to have every possible opportunity to survive.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Not only are knives excellent defensive tools but they are gosh darn useful (like the terminology?). I carry multiple knives. If you asked me a year ago would I ever carry more than one knife I would have laughed at the idea. Now I have 3+ on me at any given time. I must admit most of the time I don't use them for what they are intended for. Well I should rephrase that. I have a dedicated utility knife that I use for everything. My most recent uses are cutting some thick paper to help start a fire (today), unjamming the draw string on a window blind (today), and opening a corona (two weeks ago). The funny thing is I have a multi-tool lol.

Anyway where I'm getting at is if you can't get them in the mindset of carrying a knife for protective purposes help them realize more practical uses that a knife would come in handy. Also trick them with putting a cause behind it. For example I got the ol ball and chain to carry the pink breast cancer awareness ka bar dozier. women love that stuff :).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not only are knives excellent defensive tools but they are gosh darn useful (like the terminology?). I carry multiple knives. If you asked me a year ago would I ever carry more than one knife I would have laughed at the idea. Now I have 3+ on me at any given time. I must admit most of the time I don't use them for what they are intended for. Well I should rephrase that. I have a dedicated utility knife that I use for everything. My most recent uses are cutting some thick paper to help start a fire (today), unjamming the draw string on a window blind (today), and opening a corona (two weeks ago). The funny thing is I have a multi-tool lol.

Anyway where I'm getting at is if you can't get them in the mindset of carrying a knife for protective purposes help them realize more practical uses that a knife would come in handy. Also trick them with putting a cause behind it. For example I got the ol ball and chain to carry the pink breast cancer awareness ka bar dozier. women love that stuff :).
Thanks for the input, I will work on them. Maybe go for a new 2nd knife for myself also!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Look at Micheal Janich videos Master Blade Concepts he really simplifies the art of the knife. That is the training that I do. He worked for SpyderCo but know works for BlackHawk. But these are his on personal teaching videos.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
must have permit for one year before one can carry? can you expand on that? makes no sens to me.

a flash light, no mater how powerful is not really a weapon, it complements other weapons and serve as a deterrent, especially for animals.
that said, sure fire just released this 1000 lum light. SureFire P3X Fury Compact LED Flashlight
4sevens offer some of their light with burst mode for the firs 60 secs. the quark tactical is rated at over 650 lums

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Wife ocs at home or out everyday all day until bedtime. Going for her CCDW permit this weekend. She finally broke over to go get it. Not because she doesnt already carry oc but because here getting the CCDW permit is getting on paper. No permit to OC or own a gun here. Private sales require nothing.

Knifes? Being raised on the border in El Paso shes VERY familiar with blades. Think Lou Diamond Phillips in Young guns in the grave yard knife fight type familiar.:ahhhhh:

Anyway the ladies are very capable of SD if the mindset is right. I just happened to marry a gal who had the mindset before I met her.:yup:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts