Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I was wondering what you ( if you are female) or your wife or girlfriends, moms, sisters, aunts, daughters or whoever is a close female to you carry as far as an EDC knife.

My wife carries a Boker Plus G4 when she wears jeans and usually has a Magnum ( I forget the model even though I gave it to her lol ) in her purse and a SW cheapy in her console.

Any one have any others. I want to find her a nice GOOD high quality knife but she likes them really thin and light. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

btw I rock a SOG flash 2 and a pentagon elite 1 just as a side note.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
My wife carries a Gerber lock blade folder, she carries it as a back up to her P3AT. She has worked with it some but needs to work with it more.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
It's not cheap, but the Benchmade Kulgera is one of the lightest and thinnest knives that Ive seen. Great handle shape and material. It's my EDC.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks we were tube shopping last night and checked out the delica I will look into the kulgera.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hmmm, I wasn't aware that there were any significant gender-based differences in knife selection. :confused: Live and learn, I guess! :smile:

My favorite knife is a Benchmade Griptilian. I've got the larger version with the half & half blade, but wish I'd opted for the smooth blade instead. Just don't need the serrations often enough to make the extra honing work worth it.

pax

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
For EDC, the Leek. There's a lot of varieties, varying price points, some pretty ones, some high-quality ones. Thin and light and cuts like a razor.

It's not for self-defense, though. Blade's too thin.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's fixed blade, but I'll throw it out there, because a) I have one b) it's made in USA and c) you can get it in pink..
Rat Izula

mines not pink.

There's a vid out there somewhere of a guy roughly whittling his way through a 4 x 4 in about 5 minutes, and right after, it's still able to shave his arm-hair.

This little knife has a big heart for sure.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
For EDC, the Leek. There's a lot of varieties, varying price points, some pretty ones, some high-quality ones. Thin and light and cuts like a razor.

It's not for self-defense, though. Blade's too thin.
- I second that. A metal handle is definitely not my preferred material for self defense.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been looking at some knife fighting and different schools of thought on knife arts, and have never heard much about a preferred handle for SD is that because of how slick it can get or is it a bend factor? Most SD situations are not gonna be a clank clank spark spark knife fight, it will be cut or be cut, can you inform me, I am not being arrogant just ignorant to that thought

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have been looking at some knife fighting and different schools of thought on knife arts, and have never heard much about a preferred handle for SD is that because of how slick it can get or is it a bend factor? Most SD situations are not gonna be a clank clank spark spark knife fight, it will be cut or be cut, can you inform me, I am not being arrogant just ignorant to that thought
- In my experience, the metal is simply too slick to get a good grip on, especially on impact. I have a Kershaw Leek and feel it slipping when I am using it for simple tasks. I really like the knife and love the opening action, but it's not something I would want to use for SD.

This is especially noticeable when holding a knife like a Spyderco or a knife with a G10 handle or inserts. There is a G10 version of the Leek, but I've actually never tried using it. I'm sure it would be fine though.

Another reason I'm a fan of the Benchmade Kulgera is the Axis locking mechanism. It's extremely easy to "flip" the knife open and it is an extremely strong lock. Liner locks can be strong, but it's not even close.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Since you're in PA, you may want to sign up for this class:

Defensive Folding Knife Training

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I have carried MANY a knife and PAX is right.. I wasn't aware there was a gender specification.

I'm a female and prefer fixed blades though I often carry folders.

My favorites are as follows:
Ka-Bar TDI
Cold Steel Ti-Lite
Kershaw Chive
and several other no-name folders more for utility purposes than anything else

My husband just made me aware of a fixed blade mini tanto made by Cold Steel that he bought me and if it had a better sheath I'd carry that in a heart-beat.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Here are a few more options for training in Pennsylvania.

MCS is DC.com member mercop's baby. George does mobile training.
If you want to host a class, he'll come to you. He also has a number of courses scheduled in the Quakertown area for next year.
MODERN COMBATIVE SYSTEMS - Training - Modern Combative Systems Training Dates

FIRE Institute is in the Pittsburgh area. They've had Steve Tarani in as an edged weapons instructor in the past, and probably will again.
F.I.R.E. Institute

Bob is based in Bucks county. I think most of his courses are held in Hellertown and Telford.
Home - Argive Defense Systems

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
the only blade my wife carries is her Kabar TDI

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
There are so many knives to choose from...it's mind-boggling.
I also, like simple, thin and light, and it is why I have two Kershaw Ken Onion Leeks (assisted opener).:yup:
I would recommend them to anyone...male or female.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can't believe I'm the first one to suggest this but, Benchmade Mini Griptilian, all the way. It's one of the best EDC blades on the planet, period. If that's not thin enough or light enough (I'd think it's lighter than a Boker Plus G4) then I'd suggest a SOG FLash I. Small, fast, sharp, and light.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey thanks for all the insight I appreciate the links to the other sites.

Let me clear something up real quick, I know there are no gender requirements for blades, and I am sorry if I offended anyone I was looking for insight froma woman because my wife is much smaller than I.I stand 6'2" and go about 325 she is 5'9" and about 180. I can carry a knife of much greater size and I like most things I look at. She is picky (as she should be) so I wanted diff opinions. All are great keep em comin. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts